WiFi antenna pin broken

Search This thread

icedfirefly

Apr 23, 2013
Hello guys.
A few days ago, mi nexus 7 didn´t power up, tried pressing power and vol down for more than 30 seconds, nothing.
The screen turned on from time to time, but all i can see was some static.

After gathering some courage and reading a bit on the internet, i opened it and there it was, the battery plug was in an angle, doing a false contact.
I don´t know how that happened, it was working normally before, i didnt drop it, hit it, nothing.

Ok, then i push the plug and it fit, but mi finger slipped and broke one of the wifi antenna pin connector, it seems they are pretty weak...
I closed the tablet and it power up and works almost perfect, now the wifi signal sucks a lot, most of the time it can´t connect unless i´m really close to the modem/router.

What can i do? i still have the broken pin, can i solder it? or use something else to make the contact? return it to Asus for a fix? and i guess they will charge me.

Also i opened it again today, to take a picture, and i saw that the power plug again is slipping outside of his socket, i think there is a flaw in the design if the plug can´t keep is place...

Well, thanks in advance!!!
Laters

Reactions: harrisonland

FitAmp

Mar 21, 2012
Terrace
Hello guys.
A few days ago, mi nexus 7 didn´t power up, tried pressing power and vol down for more than 30 seconds, nothing.

After gathering some courage and reading a bit on the internet, i opened it and there it was, the battery plug was in an angle, doing a false contact.
I don´t know how that happened, it was working normally before, i didnt drop it, hit it, nothing.

Ok, then i push the plug and it fit, but mi finger slipped and broke one of the wifi antenna pin connector, it seems they are pretty weak...
I closed the tablet and it power up and works almost perfect, now the wifi signal sucks a lot, most of the time it can´t connect unless i´m really close to the modem/router.

What can i do? i still have the broken pin, can i solder it? or use something else to make the contact? return it to Asus for a fix? and i guess they will charge me.

Also i opened it again today, to take a picture, and i saw that the power plug again is slipping outside of his socket, i think there is a flaw in the design if the plug can´t keep is place...

Laters

You can solder a wire from the broken pin directly to the WiFi antenna

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

icedfirefly

Apr 23, 2013
Thanks for the answers.
And... what about of the solder? i don´t know if it have the properties to transmit the wifi signal, maybe i put a wire or the pin back with solder, but if the solder doesn´t transmit the wifi signal i´m still screwed...
Sorry about my bad english, i tried my best, in spanish i could have explained it better....

Thanks!!

vj4

Apr 10, 2007
Thanks for the answers.
And... what about of the solder? i don´t know if it have the properties to transmit the wifi signal, maybe i put a wire or the pin back with solder, but if the solder doesn´t transmit the wifi signal i´m still screwed...
Sorry about my bad english, i tried my best, in spanish i could have explained it better....

Thanks!!

Solder will be fine, I put solder on the pins of my one x to strengthen the connection and boost the signal worked perfectly.

icedfirefly

Apr 23, 2013
Well, last night i put a small dot of solder and put the pin back in his place, i tried it in the same spot where yesterday i had no signal and now it works perfectly!
Thanks!!!

Reactions: FitAmp

YoBKC

May 17, 2014
I've had the exact same accident, well except that i broke not one but TWO pins. So basically all should i do is solder them back just like that?

nlabrad

Jul 29, 2011
Buenos Aires
About the battery connector. Mine has a black tape over the connector. It's glued from the red yellow and black cables up to the motherboard socket where the pin connects. It may be a new revision because it's one of the latests

Dec001

Nov 24, 2014
Broken wifi pin

You can solder a wire from the broken pin directly to the WiFi antenna

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
this happened to me aswell when I took it to my local repair store they said they couldn't solder it, if I had the tools I would have a go. Any ideas as to where else I could take it to get soldered. Thanks. Also I have another nexus 7 with which I have tried all the tricks ie: hold power on, check battery etc but still nothing absolutely nothing won't turn on or show any signs of life

Last edited:
G

GuestD2132

I fixed mine

actually mine also got broken ....
soldering didnt seem a good option for me
so i took one of the gold plated contact pins used for holding the sim card from an old phone and improvised ...
(you can use any of the gold plated contact pins found in old mobiles)
photos attached ...
i held it in place by insulation tape and some rubber stickers so that it wont move away ....
antenna works fine now ... full signal strength
the main thing here is to get the same material for fixing the antenna
different material would result in poor signal

Attachments

• WP_20141028_12_41_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141028_12_41_02_Pro.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 639
  • WP_20141028_13_32_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141028_13_32_39_Pro.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 651
  • WP_20141028_13_38_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141028_13_38_11_Pro.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 614
  • WP_20141028_13_47_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141028_13_47_26_Pro.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 646

Dec001

Nov 24, 2014
actually mine also got broken ....
soldering didnt seem a good option for me
so i took one of the gold plated contact pins used for holding the sim card from an old phone and improvised ...
(you can use any of the gold plated contact pins found in old mobiles)
photos attached ...
i held it in place by insulation tape and some rubber stickers so that it wont move away ....
antenna works fine now ... full signal strength
the main thing here is to get the same material for fixing the antenna
different material would result in poor signal

Thanks for that, what about a spot of superglue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys.

Laters
    Well, last night i put a small dot of solder and put the pin back in his place, i tried it in the same spot where yesterday i had no signal and now it works perfectly!
    Thanks!!!