[Q] For anyone who has the laptop dock, does 2-finger scrolling work?? [Updated]

Search This thread

theproskater

Jul 21, 2007
Campbell
So I just took the plunge and bought the Atrix with the laptop dock today. While at the at&t store, I played with the laptop dock there. I was pleased to see that I could do 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad in the firefox browser.

However, once I got home and set up my own laptop dock, 2 finger scrolling didn't work! I looked everywhere for settings to change it, but to no avail. I called Motorola, and they were no help. I went back to the at&t store to try a different dock, but that one didn't have the 2 finger scrolling either. The only one that worked was the display model.

So my question is this: any of you who bought the laptop dock, does 2 finger scrolling work for you? Thanks!

UPDATE: I had one of the at&t employees contact the motorola rep for his store and get back to me when he had more info. He called me today and said the moto rep told him the display units for the stores are pre-production models, and our docks won't ever get 2 finger scrolling.
I'm hoping that someone with better hacking skills than I will be able to port some sort of scrolling driver for the touchpad in the future. For now, my usb mouse works fine I suppose...

Last edited:

Forge42

Apr 2, 2008
I had the exact same experience. Saw two finger scrolling working on the display model and got home and mine doesn't work. I haven't called support yet, but, based on your experience, I probably won't. I wonder if the display models have had some sort of update pushed to them that we haven't seen yet??!

theproskater

Jul 21, 2007
Campbell
I had the exact same experience. Saw two finger scrolling working on the display model and got home and mine doesn't work. I haven't called support yet, but, based on your experience, I probably won't. I wonder if the display models have had some sort of update pushed to them that we haven't seen yet??!

When I talked to the employees at the at&t store, they said that a motorola rep came in awhile ago to show them the laptop dock, and 2 finger scrolling worked on his too. They also said that the display model came about a week ago, before they got their shipment of stuff that was for sale. So it might actually be a pre-production unit on display, and for some reason (I can think of none) motorola decided to remove that functionality in their actual for-sale units! :mad:

Forge42

Apr 2, 2008
An experiment that we should try is to take our Atrix into an ATT store and plug them into their netbook dock to see if 2 finger scrolling works or not.

If it does work, then that means the issue is probably hardware related (ie - there's something magic about the demo trackpads that turns on 2 finger scrolling).

If it does NOT work, then that means the issue is probably software related (ie - the stuff that is running on our Atrix) and it is probably just a matter of time till one of the guys here figures out how to enable it.

theproskater

Jul 21, 2007
Campbell
An experiment that we should try is to take our Atrix into an ATT store and plug them into their netbook dock to see if 2 finger scrolling works or not.

If it does work, then that means the issue is probably hardware related (ie - there's something magic about the demo trackpads that turns on 2 finger scrolling).

If it does NOT work, then that means the issue is probably software related (ie - the stuff that is running on our Atrix) and it is probably just a matter of time till one of the guys here figures out how to enable it.

Oops! Forgot to mention I tried that too! 2 finger scrolling worked on the display dock with my atrix plugged in too.

Forge42

Apr 2, 2008
Crap... that's not good....

I might go back tomorrow and see if I can get the display model from the store I was at... :D

theproskater

Jul 21, 2007
Campbell
Crap... that's not good....

I might go back tomorrow and see if I can get the display model from the store I was at... :D

Alas...I tried that too. It was my last hope! They said the display models are "serialized" meaning the company knows what is a display model and what's not. I think its dumb that they show 2 finger scrolling on the display models but when you buy it it's not there! I wonder how many complaints they'll get...

Forge42

Apr 2, 2008
More specifically, I wonder if they'll get sued for false advertising. I mean.. I know it isn't a crucial feature, but, this is sort of a blatant case of it, isn't it?

theproskater

Jul 21, 2007
Campbell
I'm sure if enough people complain, they'll just swap out the display models with ones like ours. Then they'll claim it was like that all along. But you're right, as of now it does seem like blatant false advertising. There is clearly added functionality in the display models that are not in the ones for sale.

Another interesting note, lurking back through first impressions back at CES, some blogs touted 2 finger scrolling as a feature they liked on the laptop dock. Something must have happened between then and now that made moto change their mind :confused:

SoaringSpoon

Aug 6, 2010
Stockbridge
GAH

This is total crap. We paid really good money and went into the ATT store to play with the laptop dock. It has 2 finger scrolling but then we get home and it does not work. This is just frustrating because they lied to us.:mad: We shelled out our hard earned cash and they just lied to us. I really hope that they say that there is a web top update coming out soon. Everyone keep hitting the customer service and see if we can get one of them to say its different hardware or an update coming.

xdraconis

Feb 18, 2009
I plugged my phone in at the AT and T store and scrolling worked, and on the dock that I just bought does not.

Although based on the fact that tethering also worked on the dock at the store and not on this one, the phone knows when it is in an AT and T dock and when it is in a retail dock. This means that there is a small possibility that it is not hardware.

hagalah

Mar 10, 2006
Mine doesn't support multi-touch either. Also, mine can't even display Chinese / Japanese / Korean website. Even you can find the setting inside the firefox but totally useless. The built in font just can't display the characters correctly.

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
(snip)

UPDATE: I had one of the at&t employees contact the motorola rep for his store and get back to me when he had more info. He called me today and said the moto rep told him the display units for the stores are pre-production models, and our docks won't ever get 2 finger scrolling.
I'm hoping that someone with better hacking skills than I will be able to port some sort of scrolling driver for the touchpad in the future. For now, my usb mouse works fine I suppose...

It's all hardware, the current touchpad doesn't support multi-touch.