Warranty question

Search This thread

Sebba513

Feb 28, 2013
I rooted, backed up DRM keys, unlocked bootloader, then used my phone. Later, I relocked bootloader, flashed a stock FTF, rooted to restore DRM keys, then went into setting -> reset and took a factory reset from there. Then I sold the phone.

The buyer says that some apps still says he is rooted, and therefore is worried about the warranty. My question is, did it not unroot while doing a factory reset? What should he to to unroot? And if it does unroot, is the warranty still valid?

Thanks!

mariosraptor

Nov 21, 2006
Corfu
He has to replace an ftf. File.
You just did a factory reset. You can't uproot like that's cause root apps write on system partition which is not affected by factory reset from settings.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

He has to re-flash an ftf. File.
You just did a factory reset. You can't unroot like that cause root apps write on system partition which is not affected by factory reset from settings.
If you restored DRM keys then warranty should be still valid.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

/COLOR]
You just did a factory reset. You can't unroot like that cause root apps write on system partition which is not affected by factory reset from settings.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Lol. I really don't know why all these quotes! You get the point

ghostofcain

Nov 25, 2009
Birkenhead
Google Pixel 8
I rooted, backed up DRM keys, unlocked bootloader, then used my phone. Later, I relocked bootloader, flashed a stock FTF, rooted to restore DRM keys, then went into setting -> reset and took a factory reset from there. Then I sold the phone.

The buyer says that some apps still says he is rooted, and therefore is worried about the warranty. My question is, did it not unroot while doing a factory reset? What should he to to unroot? And if it does unroot, is the warranty still valid?

Thanks!

Warranty is still valid wether rooted or not, if bootloader is unlocked that is a different matter. You have re-locked your bootloader but Sony theoretically could have a list of devices unlocked, they provide the key after all, and therefore warranty could be void.

Reactions: Sebba513

Sebba513

Feb 28, 2013
Warranty is still valid wether rooted or not, if bootloader is unlocked that is a different matter. You have re-locked your bootloader but Sony theoretically could have a list of devices unlocked, they provide the key after all, and therefore warranty could be void.

Where is the proof that the warranty is valid while the phone is rooted? I can not seem to find the source

mariosraptor

Nov 21, 2006
Corfu
Theoretically it will work. I don't know though if it leaves any traces.
If he doesn't want to flash ftf then the easiest way is to make a software repair through PC Companion

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Where is the proof that the warranty is valid while the phone is rooted? I can not seem to find the source

From what I know if it is rooted then also it voids warranty. Anything that gives you access to system partition could be a good way to brick phone. Therefore it is a good way for any manufacturer to deny you warranty.

Reactions: Sebba513

Sebba513

Feb 28, 2013
If he doesn't want to flash ftf then the easiest way is to make a software repair through PC Companion

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

From what I know if it is rooted then also it voids warranty. Anything that gives you access to system partition could be a good way to brick phone. Therefore it is a good way for any manufacturer to deny you warranty.

Alright I'll ask to have him try the Full Unroot option first.. then go on to either FTF or software repair.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    He has to replace an ftf. File.
    You just did a factory reset. You can't uproot like that's cause root apps write on system partition which is not affected by factory reset from settings.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

/COLOR]

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Lol. I really don't know why all these quotes! You get the point

Thanks!