Fix weak LTE connection in ZVD firmware

Search This thread

hotbbq

Jul 25, 2011
Framingham, MA
If you have noticed after the ZVD update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on LTE in locations you previously had good signals, here is a fix I shared in the ZVD update thread which seems to completely resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your MSL
2. open the dialer and enter ##data#
3. Tap LTE and select edit
4. Enter your MSL
5. Select BSRTimer (defaults to 3000) and change the value to 3
6. Press back, phone should reboot
7. Profit

*does not require root

After doing this, I'm back to nearly constant LTE connectivity, where prior to the fix I was on 3g almost every time I checked.

When I tried to edit the field, it automatically changed to a 3 in the edit field. I wonder if they just screwed up the units. 3000 would imply milliseconds, which would be a problem if the field is actually in seconds (3000 seconds = 50 minutes).

myxmastrmike

Jun 9, 2010
is this only for ZVD?
I am still on ZVC and I default to 3G A LOT... distinctly more than I did before ZVC...
I just checked and my BSRTimer is already at 3...is there anything else I could poke around at?

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
is this only for ZVD?
I am still on ZVC and I default to 3G A LOT... distinctly more than I did before ZVC...
I just checked and my BSRTimer is already at 3...is there anything else I could poke around at?
Yep, specific fix for a bug introduced in ZVD. if you are on a different version, then it must be some other problem. You might try posting in the Q&A forum.

InFiD3ViL

Feb 10, 2013
When I tried to edit the field, it automatically changed to a 3 in the edit field. I wonder if they just screwed up the units. 3000 would imply milliseconds, which would be a problem if the field is actually in seconds (3000 seconds = 50 minutes).

I am running Affliction ROM which is on ZVD. This ROM has the 'Permanent LTE mod' enabled.
Just getting curious, I poked around in the LTE BSR Timer setting and found mine is currently set to '0'.
One thing I have noticed since installing the ROM, I am almost ALWAYS on LTE, which is expected since I assume permanent means permanent.

Guess what I am getting at, is I am wondering if setting it to '0' is what the 'Permanent LTE mod' really is/does....anyone have any idea? Because if it is that easy, this may help out a whole lot of people.

BTW, please nobody try doing this until we have a concrete answer.

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
It's possible although I suspect a setting of 0 may increase battery drain in areas with weak LTE signals.

mmcgrat6

Jul 21, 2010
Washington, DC
sincere appreciation and Sprint chat experience

First and foremost, thank you for sharing this work around with everyone. I've had the most difficult time up until this functionally using any data related content at a speed necessary to not feel like I'm wasting client's time looking up on the spot to their questions.

As far as Sprint Chat experience acquiring my code, wasn't quick and my case. The rep did reluctantly provide the code but only after I was asked with palpable suspicion. They asked why I wanted it. Then what purpose having the code was intended. Then finally asking if I wanted to unlock my device and/or modify the way my handset interacts with the service network. In each instance I stated the MSL code is information about my account with them I would like to know and as such ought to be freely available to me without explaining my intentions. I further added such questions would not be an issue once the msl had been given. Long story short...they may give a little push back before giving it up. You needn't explain why you'd like info related to the account you've been paint Sprint to maintain.

Reactions: rocket321

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have noticed after the ZVD update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on LTE in locations you previously had good signals, here is a fix I shared in the ZVD update thread which seems to completely resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your MSL
    2. open the dialer and enter ##data#
    3. Tap LTE and select edit
    4. Enter your MSL
    5. Select BSRTimer (defaults to 3000) and change the value to 3
    6. Press back, phone should reboot
    7. Profit

*does not require root

After doing this, I'm back to nearly constant LTE connectivity, where prior to the fix I was on 3g almost every time I checked.
    How do I know my MSL?

If you don't know it and you are running ZVC or higher, you have to use a flashtool, such as CDMA Workshop or use basic flasher and follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521276
    I think this problem affects everyone who took the ZVD update; I certainly have noticed significantly less LTE service since upgrading.

I haven't tried this fix yet since I'm often on wifi or in areas where I know there's no LTE, but I'll probably give it a shot eventually.

Edit: FYI, I took the all the updates OTA (never rooted, never installed customer recovery or ROM).

Since this thread has very little activity, I'm wondering if only a few of us had the issue? For those that had the problem that this fixed, did you sideload the update through adb, or take it OTA? I used adb and that makes me wonder if those who got it over the air didn't have the problem?
    You mean data menu

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk