[Q] Boot loop problem

Search This thread

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Hi, I have a few questions I hope you can help me with?

My wife has a galaxy nexus, stock and unrooted. It is only around 6 weeks old and last week it started crashing, turning off then getting stuck in a boot loop just displaying the starting colours. I understand this is a known problem, she has software version 4.0.2 and it says her phone is up to date.

I "fixed" her phone once with a factory reset however this time she is away with work till Friday and now has no use of her phone or contractual minuets or data ect.

To make things worst she was planning on using the sat nav and wireless tethering to her laptop. It is the second time this has happened and she has lost all faith in her phone. She can maybe upgrade the software by downloading the 4.0.4 software but she/I don't see why she should have too. She just wants a phones that does what it says on the tin without needing to mod or mess around with it.

My questions are...

Is this problem enough for her to exchange the phone for another phone all together, she fancies a One X. Has anyone here managed to exchange the phone for this reason?

If not will updating the software to 4.0.4 fix the issue for sure? She really needs a reliable phone. Maybe it will be best to send it back under the warranty but we are afraid she will get another GNex with the same issue.

Any advice will be much appreciated

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading,

Oliver

GibMcFragger

Dec 23, 2010
Vancouver
I would just try updating it and then wipe it. If that doesn't fix the issue it's most likely a hardware issue and I would warranty the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: bigoliver

omricn

Aug 7, 2010
jerusalem
Hey there,
Well first I would suggest calming down :) and not reverting to hardware issues just yet, Bootloops are pretty common, especially when using phones which were meant for the (a bit) more advanced user, it's advantage is also it's flaw, being a modding monster that it is..
And this is by no means a flame - but I wouldn't want my wife to have a GN for that exact same reason, yes - she knows about flashing roms and stuff, but she needs a reliable phone, that will work and do what she needs it to do and nothing more, as opposed to me, I like to mess around a bit with my phones (also not that much, I plan to stay stock with my GN).
To your question, I don't have any experience with RMA's but it maybe worth a try.
You also mentioned she fancies the one-x.. that means she wasn't really keen on buying the GN in the first place (I believe).. and also - and don't take this the wrong way - I think she\you don't really know what the GN is all about, this isn't a phone for everybody, I mean - it is, but it's a shame to see it fall into hands that do not appreciate it for what it is, think of it as a nice new Ferrari, sure - it'll get your wife to work But she is not going to the Nurborgring to time her laps with it.. she'll complain that once in a while the clutch is too sensitive and that she cannot count on the car to take her to work every day, and that she really fancies the new Volkswagen beetle... you get my drift :)

Also - I believe that flashing to the 4.0.4 will sort the bootloops, which usually has everything to do with the kenrel.

Best of luck!

p.s. All of the above is said in a humoristic way! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bigoliver

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Hey there,
Well first I would suggest calming down :) and not reverting to hardware issues just yet, Bootloops are pretty common, especially when using phones which were meant for the (a bit) more advanced user, it's advantage is also it's flaw, being a modding monster that it is..
And this is by no means a flame - but I wouldn't want my wife to have a GN for that exact same reason, yes - she knows about flashing roms and stuff, but she needs a reliable phone, that will work and do what she needs it to do and nothing more, as opposed to me, I like to mess around a bit with my phones (also not that much, I plan to stay stock with my GN).
To your question, I don't have any experience with RMA's but it maybe worth a try.
You also mentioned she fancies the one-x.. that means she wasn't really keen on buying the GN in the first place (I believe).. and also - and don't take this the wrong way - I think she\you don't really know what the GN is all about, this isn't a phone for everybody, I mean - it is, but it's a shame to see it fall into hands that do not appreciate it for what it is, think of it as a nice new Ferrari, sure - it'll get your wife to work But she is not going to the Nurborgring to time her laps with it.. she'll complain that once in a while the clutch is too sensitive and that she cannot count on the car to take her to work every day, and that she really fancies the new Volkswagen beetle... you get my drift :)

Also - I believe that flashing to the 4.0.4 will sort the bootloops, which usually has everything to do with the kenrel.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your post.

My wife wanted to upgrade her htc desire to a faster phone with bigger screen, she loves android and Google products and the Google nexus seemed like the best choice at the time (b4 the one X was released) she loved the phone till now.

The phone has twice randomly gone into a boot loop and twice we managed to get it working again both times within the week. This has caused her to lose faith in the phone. I guess the update should fix the issue but it doesn't seem to be available on her phone just yet.

A basic phone would not be enough 4 my wife, as I said in my first post she uses it to connect her laptop to the Internet and as a satnav. Also she watches youtube videos (720p screen is handy here) and for facebook.

We never had any such issues with our desires. When my wife returns home we will update her phone via pc if it doesn't void warranty (I'm sure it won't ) and hopefully the issue will be fixed for good.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

omricn

Aug 7, 2010
jerusalem
Sounds like our wives can get along :) my wify loves her htc desire hd! and to be honest, in my opinion in many ways it's much better than the sensation I had (stock).
And by what you described, if I was your wife (lol :) ) I'd also go for the GN.. I trust you know how to upgrade to 4.0.4, if you need any help just say so and I'll be more than happy to help :)
Also - from what I know upgrading will not void you warranty, you can simply lock the bootloader once you're done upgrading if you wish.
I really wish the bootloops will stop and that you wife will continue to enjoy her GN!

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Hi again :)

I unlocked, rooted and installed Android Revelution HD 3.0.0 (based on 4.0.4) by mike1986 on her phone.

She is happy with her phone again.

Now it's rooted she likes the extra apps she can now install like AdFree.

I have a quick noob question though..

After installing the new rom her phone it said their is an update available. I understand that she should NOT accept over the air updates now she has a custom rom, and is that right?

Cheers, Oliver

omricn

Aug 7, 2010
jerusalem
Hey Oliver, sorry.. seems I didn't get subscription notifications on your reply...
anyway, she "can" download the update, but it will not install, it will simply give an error upon installation, the reason is the original files that the update needs to update are not there anymore, or they are but have changed, so it will just give an installation error.. that's the only downside to having a custom rom. me personally - I like mine stock at the moment :)

bigoliver

Aug 22, 2011
Bridlington
www.ostones.co.uk
Just a quick update, I rooted, s- offed and install Arhd rom on my wife's gnex.

She says her phone is running faster/smoother than ever and has not restarted since. It's running great and she is happy again :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would just try updating it and then wipe it. If that doesn't fix the issue it's most likely a hardware issue and I would warranty the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Hey there,

Best of luck!