Samsung hints at TouchWiz redesign

Search This thread

SherifMedhat

Apr 10, 2011
Refering to TheNextWeb

W’ve already seen leaks suggesting that Samsung is preparing a significant overhaul for TouchWiz, the user interface on its Android devices, and now the company has teased a set of new, streamlined and circular icons for it.

This teaser posted to Samsung’s blog and social media accounts shows a simplified set of icons which have been added to the media invitation for its Unpacked 5 event, where it seems likely the Galaxy S5 will be unveiled. The fitness and lifestyle icons may also be a nod to the Google Now-style alerts that last month’s leak suggested would arrive in TouchWiz.

Samsung hints at TouchWiz redesign with the latest teaser for its Unpacked 5 event

The event takes place in less than two weeks, so there’s not long to wait. TNW will be ring-side in Barcelona to bring you the latest as soon as it is announced.

Seems that Samsung is going to introduce new set of apps and some change in their icons pack
What is your opinion??

Lympe

Sep 21, 2011
My opinion is that whatever they are doing, I won't be able to install it on my Galaxy s4 or note 10.1 2014 because they are idiots.
Sad but true.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

GalaxyNotesTx

Jan 25, 2014
Who cares really...I take CheesewIZ off and use different launchers anyways.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

Reiman76

Jun 26, 2012
Muñoz
It doesn't matter what cosmetic changes they do, i've never spent more than a day using stock launchers on any Android tablet or phone i've ever owned from any manufacturer.

Mave025

Jan 5, 2014
I've never seen anyone say anything favorable about Touchwiz. I just don't understand why they put so much time and effort into something no one likes. It looks like they brought in the designers from Windows XP. We would all get updates a lot faster if they just let Touchwiz die.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I've never seen anyone say anything favorable about Touchwiz. I just don't understand why they put so much time and effort into something no one likes. It looks like they brought in the designers from Windows XP. We would all get updates a lot faster if they just let Touchwiz die.

The reason TW exists is the same reason all OEM's offer overlays or unique features (EG: LG=Knock on, rear controls, HTC=BlinkFeed, BoomSound, Sony=unlimited content, waterproof, "G" cameras); they don't want to end up all looking the same and being Google's hardware-providing *****-slaves to their search marketing and content sales empire where all the money's made.

The last OS distribution report Google put out has 4.4 at 1.8% of deployed devices. That includes the N4, N5, N7, and N7-13 which are the highest selling Nexus devices. If you assume that at least 75% of Nexus owners upgraded to 4.4 as soon as they got the chance that means of the entire universe of Android devices less than 2.5% are "pure" by design; meaning people sought out Nexus because of its purity and even some of those may have chosen Nexus based on price. There's a reason there are rumors that Google may be exiting the Nexus business and moving to a "Play Edition" hardware model instead and why they took a loss on the sale of Motorola.

The answer to why TW and overlays exist is in what the other 97.5% of smartphone shoppers are buying and why. Here's a clue. 900MM smartphones were sold last year. There are 5.5M XDA members. What "enthusiasts" want doesn't necessarily reflect on the masses. And Samsung (53%) and Apple (56%) made 109% of mobile device profits last year. The number's greater than 100% because all the rest (including Google/Nexus/Motorola) lost money. So I wouldn't expect Samsung to dump their proprietary market-differentiating s/w anytime soon in spite of the single unsubstantiated rumor being spread by re/code that's been picked up Internet-wide. The tease of TW changes in the SGS5 Unpacked invitation and M-UX on the Pro tablets certainly don't indicate any change in Samsung's direction. And why would they change? Their making money and gaining market share (their margin dropped because the high-end's maturing but so did Apple's).

Personally, I like and use some of Samsung's unique s/w features and choose their devices because of them. I'm in this forum because of S Pen, S Note, and Multi View. Others, to your point, maybe not so much. People should buy what makes them happy but Android "purists" buying Samsung devices, especially the s/w heavy Note-series, and then complaining about it after the fact doesn't make a lot of sense. Perhaps lobbying Google to make a 10.1" Nexus "Note" with a pen and active digitizer would be time better spent.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The reason TW exists is the same reason all OEM's offer overlays or unique features (EG: LG=Knock on, rear controls, HTC=BlinkFeed, BoomSound, Sony=unlimited content, waterproof, "G" cameras); they don't want to end up all looking the same and being Google's hardware-providing *****-slaves to their search marketing and content sales empire where all the money's made.

The last OS distribution report Google put out has 4.4 at 1.8% of deployed devices. That includes the N4, N5, N7, and N7-13 which are the highest selling Nexus devices. If you assume that at least 75% of Nexus owners upgraded to 4.4 as soon as they got the chance that means of the entire universe of Android devices less than 2.5% are "pure" by design; meaning people sought out Nexus because of its purity and even some of those may have chosen Nexus based on price. There's a reason there are rumors that Google may be exiting the Nexus business and moving to a "Play Edition" hardware model instead and why they took a loss on the sale of Motorola.

The answer to why TW and overlays exist is in what the other 97.5% of smartphone shoppers are buying and why. Here's a clue. 900MM smartphones were sold last year. There are 5.5M XDA members. What "enthusiasts" want doesn't necessarily reflect on the masses. And Samsung (53%) and Apple (56%) made 109% of mobile device profits last year. The number's greater than 100% because all the rest (including Google/Nexus/Motorola) lost money. So I wouldn't expect Samsung to dump their proprietary market-differentiating s/w anytime soon in spite of the single unsubstantiated rumor being spread by re/code that's been picked up Internet-wide. The tease of TW changes in the SGS5 Unpacked invitation and M-UX on the Pro tablets certainly don't indicate any change in Samsung's direction. And why would they change? Their making money and gaining market share (their margin dropped because the high-end's maturing but so did Apple's).

Personally, I like and use some of Samsung's unique s/w features and choose their devices because of them. I'm in this forum because of S Pen, S Note, and Multi View. Others, to your point, maybe not so much. People should buy what makes them happy but Android "purists" buying Samsung devices, especially the s/w heavy Note-series, and then complaining about it after the fact doesn't make a lot of sense. Perhaps lobbying Google to make a 10.1" Nexus "Note" with a pen and active digitizer would be time better spent.