[HOW TO]Root the Tab Pro 8.4 and 10.1

Search This thread

leatherneck6017

Oct 22, 2010
Portland, OR
Credit to @roustabout for providing @Chainfire with the stock recovery. And to @blulite for monitoring the CF thread for the release of CF Auto-Root.

NOTE #1: This procedure WILL trip the Knox flag.
NOTE #2: It is advisable that you do not connect your Tab Pro 8.4 to your computer until reaching Step 7.

STEP 1
Download Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones (Windows Only):
Softpedia
Samsung's Website (you'll have to search a generic device, like Galaxy S4, in order to find the driver)
OR
Install Kies:
http://content.samsung.com/us/contents/aboutn/kiesIntro.do

STEP 2
Tab 8.4 Download CF Auto-Root (8.4)
Tab 10.1 Download CF Auto-Root (10.1)

STEP 3
Extract files to a folder on your desktop, open newly created folder, run Odin.

STEP 4
In Odin, for the Tab 8.4, choose "PDA" and select the file "CF-Auto-Root-mondrianwifi-mondrianwifixx-smt320.tar.md5" (included in the CF Auto-Root zip)
For the Tab 10.1, choose "PDA" and select the file "CF-Auto-Root-picassowifi-picassowifixx-smt520.tar.md5" (included in the CF Auto-Root zip)

STEP 5
Power off your Tab.

STEP 6
On your Tab, hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until you see a "Warning!!" screen with a large yellow triangle at the bottom. Press Volume Up to continue.

STEP 7
Connect your Tab to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
Your computer should now automatically install the appropriate drivers for use in the Tab's "Download Mode".

STEP 8
In Odin, verify that your Tab is connected to a COM port (yellow box with text "COM x" where "x" is a number)

STEP 9
In Odin, press "Start"

FINISHING UP
Upon a successful flash, Odin will display "PASS" and your Tab will reboot.
You can expect to have to disable Knox, and SuperUser should prompt you to do this.

Be sure to thank @Chainfire; he's an amazing contributor to all that is Android.

Last edited:

scottharris4

Oct 5, 2011
Credit to @roustabout for providing @Chainfire with the stock recovery. And to @blulite for monitoring the CF thread for the release of CF Auto-Root.

NOTE: It is advisable that you do not connect your Tab Pro 8.4 to your computer until reaching Step 7.

STEP 1
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2038555
OR
Install Kies:
http://kies.samsung.com/

STEP 2
Download CF Auto-Root (link is at the bottom of the page)

STEP 3
Extract files to your desktop and run "Odin3-v1.85.exe"

STEP 4
In Odin, choose "PDA" and select "CF-Auto-Root-mondrianwifi-mondrianwifixx-smt320.tar.md5" (it was included in the CF Auto-Root zip)

STEP 5
Power off your Tab.

STEP 6
On your Tab, hold the Power and Volume Down buttons until you see a "Warning!!" screen with a large yellow triangle at the bottom. Press Volume Up to continue.

STEP 7
Your computer should now automatically install the appropriate drivers for use in the Tab's "Download Mode".

STEP 8
In Odin, verify that your Tab is connected to a COM port (yellow box with text "COM x" where "x" is a number)

STEP 9
In Odin, press "Start"

FINISHING UP
You can expect to have to disable Knox, and SuperUser should prompt you to do this.

Be sure to thank @Chainfire; he's an amazing contributor to all that is Android.

The link on that thread for the usb drivers has been deleted, and the kies site isn't loading.

Last edited:
Reactions: leatherneck6017

davidn11

Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for the detailed instructions for rooting. I do have a question as a newbie, if it's okay.

If I root my Tab Pro 8.4, can I still use Comixology and Zinio accounts? If yes, can I use the SD card as the main installation for Comixology and Zinio since I have lots of digital comics and magazines I would like to download.

Last edited:

leatherneck6017

Oct 22, 2010
Portland, OR
Thanks for the detailed instructions for rooting. I do have a question as a newbie, if it's okay.

If I root my Tab Pro 8.4, can I still use Comixology and Zinio accounts? If yes, can I use the SD card as the main installation for Comixology and Zinio since I have lots of digital comics and magazines I would like to download.

Rooting should have no effect on what non-root-requiring apps you can use. If the apps allow you to select a storage location, you should be able to use the SD after doing THIS.

GreenXSniper

Mar 11, 2011
Detroit
Holy ****... I just got a bsod right in the middle of flashing with odin. Luckily it didn't brick or anything but I am not rooted after this. Will try again.

Edit: with the 8.4. Using a windows 7 machine.

Edit 2: well it bsod'ed a second time, i might try this on my windows 8.1 machine.

Last edited:

qn1gJ1

Mar 1, 2014
Encryption and stock firmware

So far so great over the last few days on my 8.4, thank you!
I tried to encrypt the device itself (not SD), had full password enabled, it reboots like it is going to start encrypting but never does. Another forum had some info that as of 4.3 this was happening on rooted devices (possibly knox related?) and you had to go back to stock everything to encrypt THEN root the device. No big deal, but I can't find a way to go back aside from a link to 4.4.2 firmware from nasirtech's blogspot which I don't really know if it's legit or not. Why can't we just download it from Samsung's website? I also tried KIES 3 and it says I'm running the latest firmware.
Downloading OTA gives "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" ok who cares, I'm planning to use CM whenever it's working anyway.
Aside from that the only other negative thing I've noticed since rooting was the KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x1 message on the custom download screen, but again, I don't care.
Really just curious if anyone has a workaround to the encryption thing, or if there's some better alternative anyway.

leatherneck6017

Oct 22, 2010
Portland, OR
So far so great over the last few days on my 8.4, thank you!
I tried to encrypt the device itself (not SD), had full password enabled, it reboots like it is going to start encrypting but never does. Another forum had some info that as of 4.3 this was happening on rooted devices (possibly knox related?) and you had to go back to stock everything to encrypt THEN root the device. No big deal, but I can't find a way to go back aside from a link to 4.4.2 firmware from nasirtech's blogspot which I don't really know if it's legit or not. Why can't we just download it from Samsung's website? I also tried KIES 3 and it says I'm running the latest firmware.
Downloading OTA gives "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" ok who cares, I'm planning to use CM whenever it's working anyway.
Aside from that the only other negative thing I've noticed since rooting was the KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x1 message on the custom download screen, but again, I don't care.
Really just curious if anyone has a workaround to the encryption thing, or if there's some better alternative anyway.

That one on nasirtech's blogspot appears to be for Portugal. As far as I know, no one has posted a stock firmware for US models yet. Which makes me wonder...could it be extracted from Kies somehow?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NOTE #1: This procedure WILL trip the Knox flag.
    NOTE #2: It is advisable that you do not connect your Tab Pro 8.4 to your computer until reaching Step 7.

STEP 1
    Softpedia
    Samsung's Website (you'll have to search a generic device, like Galaxy S4, in order to find the driver)
    OR
    Install Kies:
    http://content.samsung.com/us/contents/aboutn/kiesIntro.do

STEP 2
    Tab 8.4 Download CF Auto-Root (8.4)
    Tab 10.1 Download CF Auto-Root (10.1)

STEP 3
    Extract files to a folder on your desktop, open newly created folder, run Odin.

STEP 4
    In Odin, for the Tab 8.4, choose "PDA" and select the file "CF-Auto-Root-mondrianwifi-mondrianwifixx-smt320.tar.md5" (included in the CF Auto-Root zip)
    For the Tab 10.1, choose "PDA" and select the file "CF-Auto-Root-picassowifi-picassowifixx-smt520.tar.md5" (included in the CF Auto-Root zip)

STEP 5
    Power off your Tab.

STEP 6

STEP 7

STEP 8

STEP 9
    In Odin, press "Start"

FINISHING UP

I repeat read up and you will see discussions on it, in this thread. I know cause I ask the questions.

I also have a galaxy tab pro 8.4, and I haven't rooted mine yet, I did my research before hand.

there's no sense in cursing and putting the blaming on others, no one twisted your arm.

So please be respectful, these guys don't have to do this for us but they do.

Sent from the Galaxy TabPro 8.4 aboard the StarShip Enterprise
    Google didn't bring me "all over the General and Q&A sections", it brought me to the first page in this thread. All the Note 3 rooting instructions clearly state "Warning: will trip the knox flag!" if it's appropriate to do so. I looked for such a warning in the instructions beforehand, and there was none. It's pure laziness and condescension to NOT include those 6 little words. How many people have voided their warranty without realizing it thanks to the OP's neglect?

For Jeebus' sake, my 1-day old tablet now has a voided warranty thanks to this.

I'm sending massive negative energy to the OP. If there was an unthank-you button, I'd press it 50 times.
    One of the best rules of Android:
    If you didn't research it, don't attempt it.
    A side note for 8.4 model:
    DO NOT disable KNOX after rooted (root still works for sure). Just hit cancel when you're prompted.
    This will avoid random crash due to a service failure which requires KNOX.
    If you, unfortunately, disabled KNOX, you have to:
    re-flash with Kies (this will wipe internal storage)
    -----or----- (if you have ROM downloaded)
    1. factory reset the tablet.
    2. enter download mode and flash ROM with Odin.
    3. factory reset again.
    After that, you will have another chance NOT to disable KNOX.
    Mine had a lot of system crash after disabled KNOX, but the problem is gone after re-flashed ROM and did factory reset, and NOT to disable KNOX.
    perfect

I just did it and it's pefect for my tab pro 8.4! thx.
    i just installed SDFix and every app can now write on the sd card (Archos vidéo app to get subtitle, muTorrent.... ;))
    I also installed "MW apps manager" and now every app can be add to the multi windows feature :)