S5 versus Note 3 screen blacks

Search This thread

brettdacosta

Feb 10, 2011
My wife has a note 3, and her blacks are so much blacker than mine. What's the reason behind that? The most noticeable is in the settings, but I think that's actually do to the s5's settings menu being like a deep gray versus an actual black.

Her screen just appears so much more vibrant and rich, and it seems to be more than just from the matte screen protector compared to her clear one. Any thoughts?

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
My wife has a note 3, and her blacks are so much blacker than mine. What's the reason behind that? The most noticeable is in the settings, but I think that's actually do to the s5's settings menu being like a deep gray versus an actual black.

Her screen just appears so much more vibrant and rich, and it seems to be more than just from the matte screen protector compared to her clear one. Any thoughts?

A lot has to do with the matte protector I bet. I wouldn't use one again, had one on my N4 for a while and it really distorted colors.

The rest could be the screen mode, or the screen quality variance. Dunno, to me the S5's screen is technically superior and subjectively much better compared to the Note 3 I have seen.

Reactions: brettdacosta
Put side by side (yes, I own both.), the colours on the S5 are more saturated, but the Note 3 has a better contrast ratio.. (Meaning the blacks are blacker.) Both are set to Dynamic for this. (I usually keep the S5 at Natural because I can't stand the ghastly shade of green/blue used in Touchwiz.)

In theory it shouldn't make a difference, as it's AMOLED. Black means the LED is off, and off = off. For the most part it's the screen protector (As these things are slightly white), the colour setting and the screen brightness level.

brettdacosta

Feb 10, 2011
Put side by side (yes, I own both.), the colours on the S5 are more saturated, but the Note 3 has a better contrast ratio.. (Meaning the blacks are blacker.) Both are set to Dynamic for this. (I usually keep the S5 at Natural because I can't stand the ghastly shade of green/blue used in Touchwiz.)

In theory it shouldn't make a difference, as it's AMOLED. Black means the LED is off, and off = off. For the most part it's the screen protector (As these things are slightly white), the colour setting and the screen brightness level.

How would I change the color settings then? I have a glass screen protector coming in a week or so, so we'll see if it's just the screen. I'll set the brightness settings the same. It just feels like it's more than that. Definitely doesn't feel like it turns the led off when it should be black.

Thanks.

How would I change the color settings then? I have a glass screen protector coming in a week or so, so we'll see if it's just the screen. I'll set the brightness settings the same. It just feels like it's more than that. Definitely doesn't feel like it turns the led off when it should be black.

Thanks.

Settings --> Device --> Display --> Screen mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A lot has to do with the matte protector I bet. I wouldn't use one again, had one on my N4 for a while and it really distorted colors.

The rest could be the screen mode, or the screen quality variance. Dunno, to me the S5's screen is technically superior and subjectively much better compared to the Note 3 I have seen.