[Q] How to get s-off on hboot 1.56 ?

Search This thread

fc3211

Nov 13, 2014
@Danny: I honestly appreciate you taking the time to explain this and I understand better now.

As far as the S-Off, I was unsuccessful in the end, having devoted over 12 hours to the project I cannot spend anymore of my lifespan trying to figure it out since its a used phone and I am not sure what the old owner flashed and so forth.

All I know is I was not able to get it to work. I appreciate the advice and time of all you guys in this thread to help me and I wish I had been able to achieve S-Off but unfortunately it did not work out.

@zelendel, I hate sense with a passion, Couldnt wait to get that off, I probably should have never bought this phone seeing as how much I love stock android and GPE

@CiSa: You are one lucky bloke in that case but with this particular model it is dangerous to try to change the battery yourself (This aint no Samsung Galaxy) and I would not take the risk to completely destroy my phone after the tutorials I have seen it looks like open heart surgery to change the battery on the M7 and just opening the body of the phone you might end up roughing up the edges where it will look all chewed up, HTC has gone out of their way to engineer a phone that they dont want end users to work on or be able to repair themselves, they want you to throw it in the trash and buy a new one and it is a paradigm of thought consistent with the modern Chinese.... they insult Westerners by stereotyping us that we just have enough money to just throw it in the trash and get a new phone every year and that we dont give a damn to repair our products and it is an insult to me.

It is about THE PRINCIPLE of the matter, not about saving $50 USD bucks but call me old fashioned, I dont like to waste things, it is wrong.

I even refill a plastic water bottle 5 times, I come from an older time. A time when people did not squander resources and it makes me sick to my stomach to think of the poor countries where they hardly have food to even survive so how can I be so ungrateful and even when I saw my University in the USA a few years ago throwing away hundreds of CRT monitors into the DUMPSTER it made me cry tears to see it.

To see the waste that the modern Chinese are producing with their tablets that include built in batteries that are not replaceable and the laptops they are now manufacturing with a non-replaceable battery.......they are filling our landfills with garbage and waste while the 3rd world countries cannot even get their hands on an old Palm Pilot because we have thrown it all in the rubbish bin.

It is DISGUSTING. It is a sin and it should all stop today if people would just STAND UP and vote against this deplorable waste. We can start by never buying a cell phone again with a non-replaceable battery and telling HTC with their S-Off to go F-OFF

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Ref: the battery if I have WiFi on and am reading a kindle e-book I lose 25% battery in 1 hour. How does that compare to what is normal? And if not what could the previous owner have done to the phone to make the battery so bad? SI this defective or just wear and tear?

Last edited:

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
@Danny: I honestly appreciate you taking the time to explain this and I understand better now.

As far as the S-Off, I was unsuccessful in the end, having devoted over 12 hours to the project I cannot spend anymore of my lifespan trying to figure it out since its a used phone and I am not sure what the old owner flashed and so forth.

All I know is I was not able to get it to work. I appreciate the advice and time of all you guys in this thread to help me and I wish I had been able to achieve S-Off but unfortunately it did not work out.

@zelendel, I hate sense with a passion, Couldnt wait to get that off, I probably should have never bought this phone seeing as how much I love stock android and GPE

@CiSa: You are one lucky bloke in that case but with this particular model it is dangerous to try to change the battery yourself (This aint no Samsung Galaxy) and I would not take the risk to completely destroy my phone after the tutorials I have seen it looks like open heart surgery to change the battery on the M7 and just opening the body of the phone you might end up roughing up the edges where it will look all chewed up, HTC has gone out of their way to engineer a phone that they dont want end users to work on or be able to repair themselves, they want you to throw it in the trash and buy a new one and it is a paradigm of thought consistent with the modern Chinese.... they insult Westerners by stereotyping us that we just have enough money to just throw it in the trash and get a new phone every year and that we dont give a damn to repair our products and it is an insult to me.

It is about THE PRINCIPLE of the matter, not about saving $50 USD bucks but call me old fashioned, I dont like to waste things, it is wrong.

I even refill a plastic water bottle 5 times, I come from an older time. A time when people did not squander resources and it makes me sick to my stomach to think of the poor countries where they hardly have food to even survive so how can I be so ungrateful and even when I saw my University in the USA a few years ago throwing away hundreds of CRT monitors into the DUMPSTER it made me cry tears to see it.

To see the waste that the modern Chinese are producing with their tablets that include built in batteries that are not replaceable and the laptops they are now manufacturing with a non-replaceable battery.......they are filling our landfills with garbage and waste while the 3rd world countries cannot even get their hands on an old Palm Pilot because we have thrown it all in the rubbish bin.

It is DISGUSTING. It is a sin and it should all stop today if people would just STAND UP and vote against this deplorable waste. We can start by never buying a cell phone again with a non-replaceable battery and telling HTC with their S-Off to go F-OFF

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Ref: the battery if I have WiFi on and am reading a kindle e-book I lose 25% battery in 1 hour. How does that compare to what is normal? And if not what could the previous owner have done to the phone to make the battery so bad? SI this defective or just wear and tear?

Well an hour of constant screen on that sounds about normal as screen on time for a full charge is about 4 hours give or take.

S-off is just a simple security set up. Too many users are flashing things (mind you HTC doesn't even want you doing that. Which is their right) and then messing something up and then returning it for the warranty. Which mind you is fraud but it doesn't stop people. Just look at the threads that people brick their device and then try and return it to stock so they don't have to pay for the repair. Sad really.

fc3211

Nov 13, 2014
Well an hour of constant screen on that sounds about normal as screen on time for a full charge is about 4 hours give or take.

S-off is just a simple security set up. Too many users are flashing things (mind you HTC doesn't even want you doing that. Which is their right) and then messing something up and then returning it for the warranty. Which mind you is fraud but it doesn't stop people. Just look at the threads that people brick their device and then try and return it to stock so they don't have to pay for the repair. Sad really.

@zelendel: Thanks buddy =) You make me feel alot better now to know that the battery I am experiencing is not so terrible as I thought it was compared to other people's phones

To everyone in this thread I would like to thank you for your help and advice, in the end just paid the $25 to Sunshine and in less than 5 minutes I have the S-Off.

I tell you if I knew it would be so difficult I would not have tried to do it on my own, it was not just to save the money.....I am usually really good with computer stuff so not sure where I went wrong but I did learn alot more about android.

And please excuse my furious tirade blaming HTC and the modern Chinese architecture......I just had to find a suitable target on which to vent my frustration and hatred....after all, someone must BE TO BLAME, right? LoL (other than me, Im just sayin)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OmniROM is based on stock Android, the fast boot feature is in Sense-only ;)
    Thanks. I am currently using OmniRom 4.4.4 but on the rumrunner instructions it says to disable fastboot inside of settings > power

But I do not have a fastboot option in there or in any other menu item. Is it okay to proceed?
    Stock rooted Rom is here if you need ;) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2676986
    Thanks! I have been up for 7 hours working with different ROMS that have all failed.

Now let me try the one you have linked here. I want the deodex version, yes?
    odex or deodex I don't think matters to much. Aslong as its thecorrect stock rom for your firmware and its rooted :good:

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

There's also this one. This is a true stock rom with the option to install with root ;) http://www.htc1guru.com/2014/03/att-ruu/
    Here is my most recent failure: (Using Venom 6.0.2)
    Code:
    daka@daRk-PC ~/Downloads/rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0 $ sudo ./soju

==================== rumrunner S-OFF 0.5.0 ==============================

rumrunner S-OFF comes with NO WARRANTY (express or implied)
        and NO GUARANTEE OF FITNESS for any particular task.
        We have made every effort we can to make this a safe process for users
        however the authors disclaim any liability for damage to your phone
        or other materials or devices used during this process.

The entire risk of running rumrunner S-OFF lies with you, the user.
        By using this software you acknowledge and accept that the authors
        are not liable for any loss, material or otherwise howsoever caused.

Do you understand the implications of this warning?
    (Yes/No)
    Yes

Dear User: We will expect that YOU:
    (1) Know how to use ADB and FASTBOOT binaries
    ---- [Yes, use these tools to test USB connection BEFORE running rumrunner] ----
    (2) Realize that rumrunner S-OFF cannot support every CUSTOM rom in this world
    (3) Understand that irc support IS NOT A GENERAL HELPDESK
    (4) Are able to identify and download the CORRECT package for YOUR device
    (5) Know how to enable USB-debugging on YOUR device  (Yes, do that now)
    (6) Understand that you may NOT repack or redistribute rumrunner S-OFF

Ok?
    (Yes/No)
    Yes
    !! Do NOT for any reason taunt, unplug, drop, eat or pet your device !!
    Please wait....
    Checking for updates......
    Test 1: Rebooting into bootloader
    Waiting for fastboot (6/120)
    Waiting
    Test 2: Booting device
    Waiting for ADB (17/120)
    must ferment longer...

must sanitize, skunky rum is nasty
    hold please..............................................
    [************************************************************]
    Rebooting into bootloader (again)
    Waiting for fastboot (6/120)
    Waiting for ADB (17/120)
    must ferment longer...

chilling..................
    smells lovely in here....

bottles are packed, here we go, shhhhhh....

pouring (1)................
    pouring (2)...............
    pouring (3)...............
    pouring (4)................
    pouring (5)...............
    pouring (6)................
    pouring (7)................
    pouring (8)...............
    Wait 30 seconds, power on device, pray, run rumrunner again.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Aw.....Crap! (With the AT&T stock Rom)

Now it appears I am moving backwards........ Sheesh, this is so frustrating

Code:
    Ok?
    (Yes/No)
    Yes
    !! Do NOT for any reason taunt, unplug, drop, eat or pet your device !!
    Please wait....
    Checking for updates......
    it's a little stinky here, hmm....

bottles are packed, here we go, shhhhhh....

hmm, cap is on tighter than I expected........
    hell, that damn cap is on REALLY tight.......
    unfortunately this isn't going to work out with your configuration.  you have 2 options:
    1.) flash an unsecure kernel that's compatible with your ROM and retry rumrunner (preferred and most reliable method).
    2.) flash a different rom.
    NOTE: No amount of messing around with su binaries and apk's is going to fix this issue for you!!!.
    Better luck next time!!!!bye
    daka@daRk-PC ~/Downloads/rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0 $

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Man....sorry for the rant. I am so frustrated by this because I dont understand it

I bought this phone USED 4 months ago and the battery is weak and I feel so foolish for buying a used phone that was probably for sale because the battery was dwindling and im the idiot that paid $200 for this

I feel like such a chump, such a sucker for wasting my money and now just want to at least upgrade the firmware because I am having troubles with the data connection just drops and I have to reboot the phone to restore the data.

ANd now I see they are selling this phone NEW for $200 at BEST BUY and I will probably just have to bite the bullet but I tell you this: I will never again be such a fool to buy a used cell phone, I need my head examined to make such a mistake.

Im really feeling crummy about this situation =(

And I am taking the 70-410 exam on Monday, should be studying for that but went off on this tangent and would hate to FAIL at turning the S-OFF.

I work with Linux so am no stranger to frustration and hours of modifications to get things working.....but this here might have me licked

I fix everyone's computers for free in this town but this problem here has humbled me. S-ON =(

There is no exact science to using rumrunner unfortunatly, It does tend to be a little trial and error on the older hboots. It's normal to get some problems like this. Firewater was even worse. If you want super easy s-off then Sunshine app is the way to go although you do have to pay $25 to use it.

Well neither of these attempts actually were so bad the first appears to have worked (as in the exploit completed) But unfortunate didn't get you s-off.
    In the second attempt it's telling you what to do
    Code:
     hmm, cap is on tighter than I expected........
    hell, that damn cap is on REALLY tight.......
    unfortunately this isn't going to work out with your configuration.  you have 2 options:
    1.) [B]flash an unsecure kernel that's compatible with your ROM [/B]and retry rumrunner (preferred and most reliable method).
    2.) [B]flash a different rom[/B].

Try that rom again but with an Unsecured Kernel I recommend Bulletproof kernel. You'll want the 4.4.2 Kernel here http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407588021 :good:
    Thanks man

Quick question: If somebody had never rooted the device from stock and had accepted the OTA update to Lollipop would the firmware be upgraded as well? Or is it the same firmware that stays?
    If you update a phone via official OTA updates the firmware will be updated as well as the rom.

What is HTC's major intention anyway to make it so difficult to achieve S-off? If it was a closed-source OS like Apple I would understand but it seems like they went out of their way to make this so extremely difficult (Based on all the posts I have read).

Its these same guys that left the OS at 4.4.2 without updates until most recently. They didnt want to "be bothered" to make the code for 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 but yet they want to brickwall any independent programmers that are trying to add value to their product and not even getting paid?
    This question has been asked more than once before and the answer quite simply is HTC really don't care if your device is s-on or s-off. You can even send your phone for warranty repair with s-off as long as the bootloader is Locked and the Software is stock and untampered with when they receive it they will repair the device according to your warranty. The Android OS is indeed open source and you do not need to have s-off to modify the OS all you need for that is an Unlocked Bootloader which as you probably know HTC offer as a free service :good:

So why do we have s-on and s-off? I hear you ask. There are two main reasons HTC supply phones with s-on.
    Reason #1 - To safe guard them as a manufacturer, against false warranty claims. It's very difficult to do any pertinent damage to a phone that is s-on. As the major Partitions that house the devices firmware are protected by the s-on. With s-off you can if your not careful completely brick your device, and why should HTC honor the warranty in such a case. If everyone who gains s-off and flashes things wrecklesly and borks their device can just send for a replacement under warranty where would that leave HTC. They'd be bankrupt in a few years.
    Reason #2 And as far as i can tell the main reason we have s-on. To sell more handsets HTC need to have supply contracts with all the major carriers (Orange, O2, H3G and T Mobile and so on) Carriers demand that these devices be supplied with s-on. Because with s-off we have the power to change the firmware. Completely rebranding or debranding a device without there permission or consent. The carriers don't like this so to keep them happy HTC supply there devices with s-on

And just to expand on this, The truth is although contrary to popular belief you do not need s-off to update your firmware. As long as you use HTC signed firmware from OTA updates and you relock your bootloader you can flash firmware UPDATES manually through fastboot.

The advantages of s-off are, You can flash firmware without relocking your bootloader. You can also downgrade firmware which is not possible with s-on, and you can flash customized firmware packages that aren't signed by HTC. Also you can change the CID and MID of your device allowing you to rebrand the phone. You can also sim unlock without a sim unlock code and many more wonderful things :)

This phone was designed from the ground up with built-in functional obsolence...... They stuff the battery so far deep to make it almost impossible to replace knowing full well that this would be the achille's heel to make the phones fit for disposal in the trash bin after the 1 year warranty had expired., after the battery would fail.

Its bad for the environment and a disturbing trend with modern day electronics. I will not be buying an M8 knowing what these crooks are up to. They spit in the face of their customers when they DESIGN a product to expire like a carton of milk
    I do agree that most electronic devices these days are designed to fail though. And in most cases it's normally cheaper to replace than to repair. Which I think is wrong. The electronic industry has become a bit of a throw away society and I think its somthing that should be more tightly regulated. :good: