Trouble copying twrp folder to laptop

Search This thread

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Rooted Nexus 5 running stock 4.4.4. Trying to copy the large TWRP folder from nexus 5 to Windows 8.1 laptop using the usb cable that came with the nexus.

Copying starts fine but at the last "15 minutes remaining" to finish point, the copying stalls and Windows puts up a popup saying it couldn't find the object to copy. When I try to go elsewhere in the nexus file structure I discover the connection has been lost and Windows can no longer see the nexus 5 files. So I need to shut down the laptop to safely disconnect the nexus.

This happens repeatedly. Smaller folders copied fine.

Is this because there is something special about twrp nandroid backup files that make them uncopyable, or could this mean there is a corrupt file or something else?

What should I do?

zagorteney

Sep 18, 2010
Vrhnika
Rooted Nexus 5 running stock 4.4.4. Trying to copy the large TWRP folder from nexus 5 to Windows 8.1 laptop using the usb cable that came with the nexus.

Copying starts fine but at the last "15 minutes remaining" to finish point, the copying stalls and Windows puts up a popup saying it couldn't find the object to copy. When I try to go elsewhere in the nexus file structure I discover the connection has been lost and Windows can no longer see the nexus 5 files. So I need to shut down the laptop to safely disconnect the nexus.

This happens repeatedly. Smaller folders copied fine.

Is this because there is something special about twrp nandroid backup files that make them uncopyable, or could this mean there is a corrupt file or something else?

What should I do?

There isn't anything special with TWRP backups. I'm also using Win 8.1 and never got such problems. Try this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html. Run as admin, delete all usb related drivers, restart laptop and try again. BTW - you don't need to shutdown laptop to safely remove Nexus.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Thank you very much. I have adb installed. Will deleting these drivers mess up my adb installation?

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
SOLVED
I solved the problem. In case someone else runs into the same problem, here's the solution I discovered.

It did have to do with the size of the folder - indirectly. The problem was the 2 minute screen timeout I have on my nexus. When the display shut off on the phone the copying stalled. I changed the display timeout to 30 minutes and the folder had time to copy successfully. Obviously I don't want the display timeout to remain at 30 minutes and returned it to 2 min.

Note:
I was copying using the laptop. Maybe if I did it using the phone with a file manager like ES Explorer (if that is possible) this timeout wouldn't be a problem. Don't know. But at least I solved the problem for me.