Help/Guidance on Expanding Knowledge of C#

Search This thread

Detayl

Jul 3, 2014
Bonney Lake
I've been taking some classes in C# programming at my University. I'm trying to attain a Computer Science degree and I feel like I've not learned much but a mild foundation for what I can do with C# programming and would like to expand my knowledge, little by little. I feel as though I have a pretty firm grasp on the basics and would love an experienced hand guiding me in the right direction towards getting me better ready for the job market after college. I'm currently applying for internships and would like to be well prepared.

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I've been taking some classes in C# programming at my University. I'm trying to attain a Computer Science degree and I feel like I've not learned much but a mild foundation for what I can do with C# programming and would like to expand my knowledge, little by little. I feel as though I have a pretty firm grasp on the basics and would love an experienced hand guiding me in the right direction towards getting me better ready for the job market after college. I'm currently applying for internships and would like to be well prepared.

The best way is to simply use it as much as possible and challenge yourself. I've been working as a developer for nearly 20 years and I'm always finding new things that I don't know how to do. Learning to search effectively is probably the best skill any new developer should hone.

If I were you I'd start out with something not too difficult, like a simple text editor application (make your own version of notepad!) That will give you some basic skills like simple UI design (menus, controls anchored to the form etc.), file reading/writing (good exposure to streams unless you use the quick and easy methods). It's just a general basic all-rounder. Then expand on it - make it so the pages open in tabs. That will teach you about collections (the tab pages, in this instance) or MDI child windows.

There are some great resources available online, but I'll always suggest Stack Overflow. If you don't know it then google it. It's part of the "Stack Exchange" collection of Q&A sites and is probably the most reliable place on the web for programming answers.

Basically, don't try and learn it so you can do it. Do it so you can learn it.

I hope this helps - good luck, and most of all, have fun! :)

Reactions: Detayl

Detayl

Jul 3, 2014
Bonney Lake
The best way is to simply use it as much as possible and challenge yourself. I've been working as a developer for nearly 20 years and I'm always finding new things that I don't know how to do. Learning to search effectively is probably the best skill any new developer should hone.

If I were you I'd start out with something not too difficult, like a simple text editor application (make your own version of notepad!) That will give you some basic skills like simple UI design (menus, controls anchored to the form etc.), file reading/writing (good exposure to streams unless you use the quick and easy methods). It's just a general basic all-rounder. Then expand on it - make it so the pages open in tabs. That will teach you about collections (the tab pages, in this instance) or MDI child windows.

There are some great resources available online, but I'll always suggest Stack Overflow. If you don't know it then google it. It's part of the "Stack Exchange" collection of Q&A sites and is probably the most reliable place on the web for programming answers.

Thanks! I was just thinking of making this my first project as well. I've done some random things such as a Base10 to Hexadecimal generator, in both the console and WPF. I was thinking this might be a good project as well. I just don't like the fact my school hasn't asked too much of us, but from what I've read that's common. I just want to be prepared to enter the job market so that I may hone my skills. I guess I'll get working on researching what the basic requirements of a text editor is, and how to start saving/opening/creating .txt files.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.