[Jan. 9 Update, sticky?] aGPS fix after running Leaked VZW Customizations

Search This thread

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
January 9 Update: aGPS now working. If you're having QPST issues, try the bigjr99's fix that ScratchyPDX recommended here. This allowed me to get QPST to recognize my Vogue in XP. THe real issue, though, was allowing the leaked Verizon ROM to run its customizations. This installed custom Verizon drivers that essentially lock down the GPS even if you reflash the radio. The fix I used can be found here.

-------------ORIGINAL POST-----------------

I posted this over at PPCGeeks, but I figured I'd try XDA too. I've tried the instructions both on the XDA wiki and on the PPCGeeks post, unsuccessfully. I'm not sure what the problem is. I haven't seen anyone with a similar issue, and I've been fiddling with various settings for a while.

I'm still having a problem getting this to work. It doesn't automatically install the drivers, I have to manually select them (plus, it only works in Vista). So then I follow all the steps exactly, the only difference is I only get one COM port in QPST (com3, which says SURF... next to it). So once I set everything up, GMaps and LiveSearch both find the GPS but never find any satellites.

My Vogue was set up as follows: xv6900 > official leaked Verizon ROM > 2.31 unlocker > NFSFAN Verizon 1.09, and uses the 3.77 radio. I had GPS working great with the Valhalla CAB on the leaked ROM, and I'm considering reverting back to that.

Please help! Is anyone having the same problem?

Edit: I'm evidently not the only one with this problem. Hopefully it'll get some more visibility.

Last edited:

fabioc

Apr 4, 2006
I am experiencing the same issue. Trying NFSFAN 1.10 right now. I'll let you know if I find a solution, it could work for you as well...

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply-glad I'm not the only one. I quite like my current ROM in terms of speed and stability, and I've read reports of it working on NFSFAN Verzion 1.08, so hopefully it get sfigured out soon.

bigjr99

Nov 20, 2008
Same issue here. I've tried using NSF's 1.10 and Drellisdee's 1.12 and can't get either to work. I haven't reverted back to the leaked rom yet, but I was working fine with the leaked rom and valhalla also. Hope someone can find the fix.

Last edited:

madsuse

Feb 16, 2008
same issue here with OMJ ROM

I was able to get through the qpst programming and loaded the GC VerizonaGPSfix cab. I still can't lock on any satellites.

Maybe not ROM Specific.
I am using Radio 3.42.50.

bigjr99

Nov 20, 2008
My issue is not getting qpst to work as i have already done this. It seems that there is a gps issue with using the 3.37 radio on these roms even if you have gotten it running on the stock leaked rom with customizations run.

madsuse, you must be having some other issues as with your radio veraion and a properly run agps fix you should have no problem with omj's roms. I had the same set up as you prior to the leaked rom with no issues.

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
This thread at PPC Haven might help: http://www.ppchaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=168&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=25

I've tried some of what was suggested, it still isn't working for me, but it might help. Some people are having similar problems.

@bigjr99: I think that might be it. Quite a few people have had trouble with the aGPS fix and NFSFAN ROMs, especially on the VZW radio. However, it has been done before, so I'm really not positive. I"m going to try the new Bell radio 3.42.50 and see if it makes a difference, then I'll give up on NFSFAN (apparently he's left several forums now, once for warez and then just recently for abusing moderator priveleges) and switch to either OMJ or WDM.

@ScratchyPDX: thanks! it works on my computer (in XP) now, no need to borrow a vista one. But it doesn't change anything else, I can reach QPST and successfully program w/out getting any satellites.

Last edited:

bigjr99

Nov 20, 2008
I am definately thinking it has something to do with the 3.37 radio and running customizations on the leaked rom. I tried multiple different roms including nsfan, omj, drellisdee, and one other. Neither the agps fix or valhalla worked on any of them.

I have now reloaded the leaked rom and again let customizations run. did the agps fix and google maps would show me in the middle of the pacific. Ran valhalla and moved around files to the correct places and instant dead on gps.

I don't know what the problem is, but it looks like I am stuck with the leaked rom until I go back to radio 4.42

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
bigjr, you mean I guess radio 3.42?

I've confirmed the problem is related to not the radio, but the CUSTOMIZATIONS on the Verizon ROM. They replace the GPS drivers with some idiotic VZ-Navigator-specific crap. If you're feeling daring try this and let me know how it works:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=581029&postcount=204

So, no problem with NFSFAN or even the radio. just the customizations, which is hard to revert to (cuz there's no previous VZW ROM, and running Bell/Sprint customization willl prob. just f*ck things up even more). I'm not sure how the 3.42 radio-only flash would affect the drivers. This is my understanding as of now, correct me if I'm wrong!

This may do the trick, I haevn't tried it yet though: http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?title=Pocket_PC_WIki:FIX_VERIZON_GPS

Last edited:

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
Yep, that was the problem. Awesome sub-15s locks indoors with mediocre cell reception. Anyone who let leaked-VZW customizations run before flashing a custom ROM be sure to check out this post!

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
@NFSFAN: Yep, everything was already set up. But the VZW Leaked customizations still screw things up. Great ROM NFSFAN.

Last edited:

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
Have any of you guys tried upgrading to the Bell 3.42.50 radio?

I've been running it since August. I use both google maps and TomTom6.

I am a Pilot with AirCanada Jazz, I live in BC, I am based in Montreal.

I fly varied routes across the East coast / Eastern canada

My GPS never fails to pick up sats within 10 seconds, no matter what program, no priming necesary. I'll use TomTom in my car in Montreal, fly home to Castlegar then use it in my Van there....no probs.

I even showed it off once using Google maps to show us lurching down the runway in Montreal and departing east, it kept up untill we accelerated through 160 kts, then the maps couldn't keep up (still showed lat/long though)

Cheers

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
Have any of you guys tried upgrading to the Bell 3.42.50 radio?

I've been running it since August. I use both google maps and TomTom6.

I am a Pilot with AirCanada Jazz, I live in BC, I am based in Montreal.

I fly varied routes across the East coast / Eastern canada

My GPS never fails to pick up sats within 10 seconds, no matter what program, no priming necesary. I'll use TomTom in my car in Montreal, fly home to Castlegar then use it in my Van there....no probs.

I even showed it off once using Google maps to show us lurching down the runway in Montreal and departing east, it kept up untill we accelerated through 160 kts, then the maps couldn't keep up (still showed lat/long though)

Cheers
jmitr, I've floashed my radio to 3.42 and back before enabling aGPS, and there's very little difference in trems of connectivity. Some people report that 3.37 gives slightly better service, although 3.42 may work better in low-reception areas (I can't confirm this, I've just seen posts about it). I'm very satisfied with 3.37 though, I'm trying not to mess around to much now that mine is working so well.

If you do choose to upgrade radios, you would have to reconfigure using QPST on Verizon. I'm not sure what your carrier is, but you may be able to find the QPST codes/instructions over at 2nd post of this thread on PPCGeeks.

Edit: oh wait, according to your signature you don't have to worry about any of this. This thread covers problems on Verizon Wireless XV6900s. I guess that was more of a suggestion for us, and no, that doesn't work. The files that the VZW ROM brought along are not affected by radio switches, sadly. I've tried.

Last edited:

hardstylz

Apr 16, 2008
help

i have been working at this for 3 days now. have done all the steps in many different forums. the lastest was the agps fix form here in xda. i then installed tom tom but stated that there is no valid gps device. i was ot able to dl the agps provisioning cab though. the link does not work does anyone have cab? tried using the valahalla cab as well but that still did not work.

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
i have been working at this for 3 days now. have done all the steps in many different forums. the lastest was the agps fix form here in xda. i then installed tom tom but stated that there is no valid gps device. i was ot able to dl the agps provisioning cab though. the link does not work does anyone have cab? tried using the valahalla cab as well but that still did not work.
Tell me all the ROM updates and radio updates you've installed, and I may be able to help.
Also, Test using Google Maps or Microsoft LiveSearch. Once those lock on, then launch TomTom.

johnnyok

Dec 6, 2006
brooks.ev maybe you can help me....I installed the leaked veriZon rom then installed the valhalla cab...In external gps i have com4..hardware none 4800....in phone/location settings/ location on....when I use google maps/use gps...it says initializing gps...then says no gps device found....? any help appreciated.....

brsev

Aug 14, 2008
brooks.ev maybe you can help me....I installed the leaked veriZon rom then installed the valhalla cab...In external gps i have com4..hardware none 4800....in phone/location settings/ location on....when I use google maps/use gps...it says initializing gps...then says no gps device found....? any help appreciated.....
Hmm, I'm really no expert on this stuff, I can only speak for what worked for me. If you let the customizations run when you flashed the ROM, then Valhalla should be working for you and I'm not sure what the problem is. If you haven't let them run, you need to perform this fix.