Touchwiz 4.3 (VRUCML1/NC1) update discussion thread

Search This thread

cammykool

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 6
DO YOU WANT 4.3 WITHOUT LOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER OR KNOX? DO I HAVE A LITTLE TREAT FOR YOU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591895

We now have a safestrap! Mind you its an ALPHA and should be used with caution there are currently NO Roms that support it but it does have TWRP. So backups are possible. Read up and download here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2605648

Now that the 4.3 update is out the old thread isn't very accurate.
So I'm making this so we can talk about it!

Rules:
-No spamming
-Be nice
-HAVE FUN

DISCLAMER FOR TAKING THIS UPDATE: your bootloader will become perminantly locked after updating. So if you are fine with no more Roms or Kernels then update away. any rooting applications other then the one listed below will cause hard brick. any attempts to downgrade to MF! HARD BRICK

Some general info on the update rooting ROMs and such

Useful information:
Saferoot for rooting after 4.3: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758&highlight=s3

What is "Knox": http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47800268

a good write up on the cons of 4.3 by our local CYanogenMod maintainer @invisiblek : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788313

Last edited:

smart--phone

Nov 25, 2013
Emoji Input

View Changes I don't like:

On/Off Button uses words "on and off" instead of the sign

Emojis have changed and they look worse than 4.1 (IMO)

Cannot swipe left (or right) to access lock screen camera (3rd app must do that)

No Swipe to Unlock with passcode on

roadhero

Jun 8, 2010
Can anybody please check what languages does 4.3 have and if they're any different from 4.1.2? As we won't have root as of now, I'm afraid to lose support of one specific language enabled by Language Enabler. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: droider137

TokedUp

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2010
Hellz Kitchen, NYC
Well this is great news. Maybe i'll run it over the holidays for the Camera. Can't wait to see what our great Devs can do with this!

kirkwoodlucas

Jan 10, 2013
Someone said delete the new boot loader in the update zip, that's what they had to with the old Motorola.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
great, permalocked bootloader :(. The Sprint and T-mobile versions were cracked though...

Sprint and TMobile are never locked. Just Verizon and ATT. This is basically same as S4 and it has never been unlocked. They are blowing Q-Fuses like old Moto. :cool:

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Someone said delete the new boot loader in the update zip, that's what they had to with the old Motorola.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Think there is something also in the TZ partition if I remember right. :cool:

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
Sprint and TMobile are never locked. Just Verizon and ATT. This is basically same as S4 and it has never been unlocked. They are blowing Q-Fuses like old Moto. :cool:

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Think there is something also in the TZ partition if I remember right. :cool:

yeah there is a check in the trustzone I believe

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

I wonder who else is going to try and install it

Bobby_C

Jul 7, 2010
So seeing that Beans hardbricked his S3, is the only way to unroot back to stock, re-lock the bootloader, and then get the update?

Pretty much. I tried to update and it failed. I'm rooted on stock TW and unlocked. Tried a few things and I can't even get back to a stock unrooted rom :eek:

I guess I'll wait for a rooted rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wait for it...
    wait for it...
    I am so looking forward to being rooted, unlocked and on a TW 4.3 custom rom themed by Prdog1!
    thanks for the pound of hope and convincing so many not to take the ota!:good:
    We have it. Just waiting on a kernel mod. Everything works. Will be released as soon as kernel comes back. Will start working on a theme. May be AOSP type first as that is easier and quicker. :cool:
    Theme is coming along nicely.:cool:
    We working on it :good:
    Dogg, how many times are you going to edit your post to make ot sound like mine? You went from deleting the SDM without "ever getting it back", then edited it to "delete SDM uit change it SDM.bak", and now youre saying just freeze it, which is basically done through Titanium.

You need to quit trolling this thread, homeboy. You alone have 43 posts and they are mostly about telling people, "youre screwed" and "phone bricked/stuck on 4.3 for life" and then adding your little smiley face with sunglasses as if you are happy peeps phones are gettin messed with.

Makes me wonder sometimes if some, not all, but some of these "recognized contributors" on XDA are the ones who work for/with these companies that put out these locked bootloader/phpne bricking updates.

Do not start with the "paranoid" speculations either. This guy "seems" to have all the answers on whats going on with the new update and that theres "no going back" cuz of knox, but we find out data is compromised with the new samsung "CROX", I mean knox, security system. As if he "contributed" in the 4.3 locked bootloader update.

Quit trolling threads homeboy,:cool:

How rude. Prdog has helped countless folks on xda. Thanks prdog, I for one have learned a lot from reading your posts and responses on many threads.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    You the man!!! I hope it works for me, post the link when you can.

I haven't bricked but this would be really big for a lot people. To what state does this restore a phone?

It restores to a "bootable state"

I flashed a different bootloader to forcefully brick my device.
    What this is is an SD Card(yes, you'll need an SD card, specifically class 10) image dump (of the basic blocks to start a boot process).
    I was able to boot into the actual 4.3 stock rooted ROM, stock recovery, and download mode.

I just need to figure out how to flash the stock bootloader back or reset. Probably going to try to use kies.
    Will post a whole thread and link to it when I have succesfully did everything.

*let it be known that you still won't be able to downgrade, you'll still be stuck on 4.3. I'll try figuring that out too maybe where it can be possible. In due time.
    My guess would be that he means a 4.3 touchwiz ROM that preserves unlocked boot loader (for those who have not yet upgraded).

And we have a winner. :p:cool: