[UTIL][12/JUL/12] Samsung Galaxy S Chlorine (or cwm update bloat remover generator)

Search This thread

sargorn

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 26, 2010
Osaka-shi

With so many GB roms coming out lately I often can't wait for xxx custom rom developer to update to xxx rom. For the last month or so I've basically been using customised stock roms. (My own AOSP theme, choose a kernel, change a few apks).

One of the first things I do after flashing a new rom + kernel is cut down on some of the bloat in /system/. I more or less remove everything that can be downloaded (for free) from the market. When they're downloaded from the market they often go into /data/, leaving more breathing room in /system/.

As always, backup and be confident with restoring your phone via download mode or CWM.

Android Chlorine
---
SGS Chlorine
SGS2 Chlorine
SGS3 Chlorine
---
SGS Chlorine (mobile)
SGS2 Chlorine (mobile)
SGS3 Chlorine (mobile)

What this does:
This is a little bit of PHP that will generate a customised CWM update.zip which will remove specific apks (and associated .odexes).

Usage:
* Choose which APKs you want the update.zip to remove and hit the Generate button.
- You can also select a preset to save some clicking.
* Copy the generated .zip file to your phone.
* Apply it with CWM.

The list of APKs was grabbed from the public google docs spreadsheet.
The SGS2 APK list was grabbed from this public google docs spreadsheet
The SGS3 APK list was grabbed from this public google docs spreadsheet. XDA thread

Notes:
* The APK list shouldn't let you remove anything 'vital' to booting the phone.
* I've tested it myself pretty extensively and used it for the last couple of stock roms released. However, there may be bugs. Let me know and I'll attempt to get them fixed!
* If you have any particular ideas for good presets, also let me know and I'll see to adding them.
* You can remove TouchWiz (TouchWiz30Launcher.apk) with this. However, if you do that without having another home 'app' installed, bad things may (will) happen.

Last edited:

sargorn

Aug 26, 2010
Osaka-shi
Presets:
- Google
Removes the following:
- Gmail.apk
- GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
- Maps.apk
- Street.apk
- VoiceSearch.apk
- YouTube.apk

- Sargorn Special
Removes the following:
- Everything from the Google preset
- Aldiko
- BuddiesNow
- The flip fonts, Choco, Cool, Rose
- Days
- Dlna
- DualClock
- InfoAlarm
- Flash
- Layar
- MiniDairy
- MyFiles
- Protips
- SamsungWidgets (CalendarClock, FeedAndUpdate, StockClock)
- SnsAccount
- SnsProvider
- Unified Inbox
- Write and Go

Last edited:

penfold

May 20, 2010
this looks very promising.
one of the things i hate about upgrading is removing all the bloatware ....will try it out my next flash thanks

FuryriderX

Aug 11, 2010
Stoney Creek, ON
Wow, definitely going to try this. Thanks!

EDIT: after generating a .zip and looking at the generated script, it deletes .apk and .odex files. Will this throw an error if used on a deodexed rom? Maybe an option to select whether the rom is odexed/deodexed would be a good idea? Just a thought.

Last edited:

yken

Dec 24, 2006
I will try. I was looking for such a pc software because im tired of removin app
myself again and again after flashing new roms. Thanks.

bitmappp

Oct 21, 2010
manila
can i still choose apps which i don't have so incase in the future, i don't need to create another one.. what i'm generating is my master uninstaller.

very nice utility.

theos0o

Dec 26, 2010
Sitia
Great!

Suggestion: you could add a text input field (possibly user could press a button to get more text input fields) so that users can remove some other (not pre-defined) APKs.
Don't know if it's of any use though.. :p

Last edited:

sargorn

Aug 26, 2010
Osaka-shi
can i still choose apps which i don't have so incase in the future, i don't need to create another one.. what i'm generating is my master uninstaller.

very nice utility.

That should work without any problems. The update-script won't complain if the files deleted are not there to start with.

Great!

Suggestion: you could add a text input field (possibly user could press a button to get more text input fields) so that users can remove some other (not pre-defined) APKs.
Don't know if it's of any use though.. :p

I can see it being useful if you have a specific apk that usually is installed with your CSC. I'll look into it when I have a chance.

Birba

Feb 27, 2006
After downloading the zip file, can the updater-script be manually edited and and readded to the zip?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

With so many GB roms coming out lately I often can't wait for xxx custom rom developer to update to xxx rom. For the last month or so I've basically been using customised stock roms. (My own AOSP theme, choose a kernel, change a few apks).

One of the first things I do after flashing a new rom + kernel is cut down on some of the bloat in /system/. I more or less remove everything that can be downloaded (for free) from the market. When they're downloaded from the market they often go into /data/, leaving more breathing room in /system/.

As always, backup and be confident with restoring your phone via download mode or CWM.

Android Chlorine
    ---
    SGS Chlorine
    SGS2 Chlorine
    SGS3 Chlorine
    ---
    SGS Chlorine (mobile)
    SGS2 Chlorine (mobile)
    SGS3 Chlorine (mobile)

What this does:
    This is a little bit of PHP that will generate a customised CWM update.zip which will remove specific apks (and associated .odexes).

Usage:
    * Choose which APKs you want the update.zip to remove and hit the Generate button.
    - You can also select a preset to save some clicking.
    * Copy the generated .zip file to your phone.
    * Apply it with CWM.

The list of APKs was grabbed from the public google docs spreadsheet.
    The SGS2 APK list was grabbed from this public google docs spreadsheet
    The SGS3 APK list was grabbed from this public google docs spreadsheet. XDA thread

Notes:
    * The APK list shouldn't let you remove anything 'vital' to booting the phone.
    * I've tested it myself pretty extensively and used it for the last couple of stock roms released. However, there may be bugs. Let me know and I'll attempt to get them fixed!
    * If you have any particular ideas for good presets, also let me know and I'll see to adding them.
    * You can remove TouchWiz (TouchWiz30Launcher.apk) with this. However, if you do that without having another home 'app' installed, bad things may (will) happen.
    Presets:
    - Google
    Removes the following:
    - Gmail.apk
    - GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    - Maps.apk
    - Street.apk
    - VoiceSearch.apk
    - YouTube.apk

- Sargorn Special
    Removes the following:
    - Everything from the Google preset
    - Aldiko
    - BuddiesNow
    - The flip fonts, Choco, Cool, Rose
    - Days
    - Dlna
    - DualClock
    - InfoAlarm
    - Flash
    - Layar
    - MiniDairy
    - MyFiles
    - Protips
    - SamsungWidgets (CalendarClock, FeedAndUpdate, StockClock)
    - SnsAccount
    - SnsProvider
    - Unified Inbox
    - Write and Go
    If I understood well, it works on odexed roms?

That's right, the update-script removes both the .apk files and the .odex files.

So as long as you have CWM it will work on odex or deodexed.
    After downloading the zip file, can the updater-script be manually edited and and readded to the zip?

I'd imagine so, yes.
    I'm getting web page not available on stock browser.

It -may- just be that the DNS hasn't quite filtered through yet. People were having trouble with m.zahi.me earlier and I switched it from a CNAME lookup to an A lookup.

DNS tends to take a bit of time to filter itself through,

You can reach the mobile site the old fashioned way by going to www.zahi.me/mobile/sgsc/