My oppinions after 2 weeks of use: screen, sound, battery, wifi, etc

Search This thread

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
Some reviews mislead me to believe there was something wrong with this phone, I nearly regretted buying it due to the rumors of "bad" screen, low sound, bugs, performance, lag, battery life, and other concerns, but after several days of usage I must say:

1.- I am very pleased with the screen, my fears are gone. Comming from an Xperia S, this screen looks sharp, bright and the colours are beautiful. AMAZING. Viewing angles are not the best but they were OK enough to impress me and my Samsung/Apple-fanboy friends. The Barvia engine does an incredible job making pics and vids look vivid and alive. Cool. My sammy/apple-loving friends will never put me to shame again over screen quality: the screen made them drool ("is that really a Sony phone?").
- Not the "best" screen out there but at least adequate for a high-end phone, and a GREAT improvement over my previous Xperias.

2.- Bugs and lag. WiFi bug? What WiFi bug? Mine works flawlessly ( :fingers-crossed: fingers crossed). Lag? Camera does have some lag when starting, but nothing to die for (and it makes way better pics than any of my previous phones). I miss the "pinch to see al the widgets floting" screen but I apprecite the fact that Sony didn't change the new ICS/JB buttons layout and functions. I can make folders in my app drawer and many other goodies. The Album app shines and it's a plleasure to use it.
- Polished minimal Sony skin over the vanilla Android UI.

3.- Despite the bigger screen and the quad core, battery life is WAY BETTER than the Xperia S and SGSIII; no charges required during the day for me, and I am a moderate-to-heavy user. I have not messed with Stamina mode yet. My previous phones needed a charge by noon, this one goes all the way to about 6 pm.
- Nice battery life for such a big HD screen. A bigger battery would ruin the slim profile.

4.- I was very affraid of the sound level, but despite being waterproof the loudspeaker sound is OK, not as good as my Xperia S or the SGSIII but good enough, good enough for the alarm to wake me up (and that's a lot :cyclops: ) and good enough to be heard when in my pants pocket or to watch some youtube videos with my friends around in not-so-noisy environments. In-call sound is clear and it has some goodies to enhance the sound, be sure to check them in settings.
- The loudspeaker sound volume takes some sacrifices for being waterproof, but it's still enough for me. I'm not a DJ.

5.- WATERPROOF !!! (or splashproof or water resistant or whatever you want to call it). Boy I should have made some pics of my friends' faces when I submerged this baby in my glass of beer :cowboy: Take that SGS and Apple fanboys! Your phone is rubbish; mine is a shiny piece of waterproof polished cool looking purple glass :cool:
- Having a waterproof phone is definitively a BIG plus, especially in a rainy environment.

6.- Build quality is Sony-grade.I made a bet with my fanboy friends: let's drop your iPhone5s, your SGSIIIs, and my Xperia Z from only one foot high. They declined :p I did it just to show off. From two feet.
- Just what I expected from Sony: it not only looks but feels premium.

7.- Finally, the looks and cool factor. This phone is a chick magnet! They love it in purple. Ice-breaker, conversation starter (Lucky enough I'm not that kind of guy :angel: ). The WOW factor is assured with this phone, not ubiquitous but exclusive.
- I don't know if the SGS5 will come out with a rocket-fuel propelled chip or a mind-controled UI, but this phone is simply the best-looking-phone.

CONS?
Well, I found that the loudspeaker volume went very low after the phone got submerged in water.
At first I was shocked, I thought I may have forgotten to close the seals properly and I thought I could have got some water damage, but after double-checking I realized the reason was very simple: the loudspeaker gets soaked in water.
To recover full sound level I had to:
a) suck the water out of the speaker or
b) warm the phone through a charge.

Now let me put my flame-retardant suit on and let's wait for your oppinions. Your mileage may vary, but mine has been great to date. Just my oppinions. Have fun.

decentgi

Mar 24, 2012
sydney
amazing phone I felt the same way with all those negative reviews and if truth be told I did cancel my order but felt like I make the biggest mistake, had bad feeling in gut when I cancelled order and found myself taking it out on mates so I called back the next day and re ordered.

I am so happy now I love the phone its amazing. all this bull crap about screen people are missing the point in having a reality display it means the most true to life experience you can get and the xperia z delivers colours are real and they are awesome.

I can see it now samdung galaxy users replacing handsets because of water damage while wishing they opted for the xperia z lol

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

to clarify I have had no issues with the phone apart for the camera everything else is great. the speaker however is another story its not as good as the sony xperia s but its definitely nothing to be worried about its adequate, but im sure there is a mod floating around that sorts it out but since that's the case then im sure sony will tweak that in next update just don't hold your breath lol

Reactions: Jeanbassil

bplogan

Aug 24, 2010
Sydney
I agree.
I've had a long list of phones android blackberry and iPhone and this puts them all to shame.

Most recently I had an sgs3 4g, battery was so bad.

This phone is big but very good

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

BobKatz

Mar 9, 2012
Ta

Thanks for your clear, concise, real-word opinion. I'm getting mine today and I've read a number of the niggle this, niggle that reviews so was getting a little worried but now I'm excited all over again.

First thing I'm planning on doing is putting the camera on timer then dunking it in my beer (actually probably someone else’s, don't want to waste my pint). My first ever bubble eye view from a pint!

exekias

Mar 6, 2009
Wellington
www.f5net.nz
EXACLTY

The reviews actually scared me off this phone for a while slamming the ports, the screen the battery life and "buggy" software. I was all set to buy and HTC One and then they got delayed in my country and the price they quoted was more than the Z so I bought the Z and I do not regret the purchase.

I love the screen, way nicer than the cartoony AMOLED of my Gnex, and Battery is amazing, Stamina mode when used correctly literally means when the screen is off 0% is used. its amazing, my phone uses about 30-40% per normal day!!!

I have loaded it up with triple the amount of music that I had on my Gnex (thanks to expandable SD) and my only issue was music quality which was quickly remedied by the ACID mod but my Gnex had **** music quality and i used a mod to remedy that also.

Camera is good, better than the Gnex and better then the HTC one was going to be but i dont use cameras and I have come accross no bugs, also its hacker friendly something the S4 and the One are not

LOVE IT

smax1991

Jan 31, 2011
Agree with all of you guys.. Great phone great materials it feels so premium, good sound and battery.. Love it :):)

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

yngwin

Jan 12, 2012
Suzhou, China
I totally agree. It's the best phone I've ever had, and there isn't anything on the market that I'd rather have.

The screen is amazing. Not overly saturated like Samsung. I don't understand why anybody is complaining about the viewing angles — it's absolutely fine for me. Foreshortening becomes a problem before the "washed-out" colours do. And 5" is just the right size. It's big, but still easy to handle.

The battery life is great, even without stamina mode (which I haven't played with yet). It's better than my Xperia S, or the Samsung Galaxy R I had before that.

The sound is ample enough for me. I don't put it at 100% volume, and it's loud enough. I don't know what I would do with more...

My only complaints are minor:
1) the gray background for the navigation buttons should be black and not as high (but this is fixable with a mod, I know) and
2) the camera seems to have high-quality hardware but Sony messed up the software side with over-processing (but burst mode gives better results) — hopefully they fix this in the 4.2 update.

fixedtrd

Aug 27, 2010
Great review, I also love my Z. I Soak the phone in water to show my coworkers also and they were all amazed :laugh:.
But I don't dare to drop it like you did hahah.

andrewx

Feb 3, 2007
Some reviews mislead me to believe there was something wrong with this phone, I nearly regretted buying it due to the rumors of "bad" screen, low sound, bugs, performance, lag, battery life, and other concerns, but after several days of usage I must say:

1.- I am very pleased with the screen, my fears are gone. Comming from an Xperia S, this screen looks sharp, bright and the colours are beautiful. AMAZING. Viewing angles are not the best but they were OK enough to impress me and my Samsung/Apple-fanboy friends. The Barvia engine does an incredible job making pics and vids look vivid and alive. Cool. My sammy/apple-loving friends will never put me to shame again over screen quality: the screen made them drool ("is that really a Sony phone?").
- Not the "best" screen out there but at least adequate for a high-end phone, and a GREAT improvement over my previous Xperias.

2.- Bugs and lag. WiFi bug? What WiFi bug? Mine works flawlessly ( :fingers-crossed: fingers crossed). Lag? Camera does have some lag when starting, but nothing to die for (and it makes way better pics than any of my previous phones). I miss the "pinch to see al the widgets floting" screen but I apprecite the fact that Sony didn't change the new ICS/JB buttons layout and functions. I can make folders in my app drawer and many other goodies. The Album app shines and it's a plleasure to use it.

3.- Despite the bigger screen and the quad core, battery life is WAY BETTER than the Xperia S and SGSIII; no charges required during the day for me, and I am a moderate-to-heavy user. I have not messed with Stamina mode yet. My previous phones needed a charge by noon, this one goes all the way to about 6 pm.
- Nice battery life for such a big HD screen. A bigger battery would ruin the slim profile.

4.- I was very affraid of the sound level, but despite being waterproof the loudspeaker sound is OK, not as good as my Xperia S or the SGSIII but good enough, good enough for the alarm to wake me up (and that's a lot :cyclops: ) and good enough to be heard when in my pants pocket or to watch some youtube videos with my friends around in not-so-noisy environments. In-call sound is clear and it has some goodies to enhance the sound, be sure to check them in settings.
- The loudspeaker sound volume takes some sacrifices for being waterproof, but it's still enough for me. I'm not a DJ.

5.- WATERPROOF !!! (or splashproof or water resistant or whatever you want to call it). Boy I should have made some pics of my friends' faces when I submerged this baby in my glass of beer :cowboy: Take that SGS and Apple fanboys! Your phone is rubbish; mine is a shiny piece of waterproof polished cool looking purple glass :cool:
- Having a waterproof phone is definitively a BIG plus, especially in a rainy environment.

6.- Build quality is Sony-grade.I made a bet with my fanboy friends: let's drop your iPhone5s, your SGSIIIs, and my Xperia Z from only one foot high. They declined :p I did it just to show off. From two feet.

7.- Finally, the looks and cool factor. This phone is a chick magnet! They love it in purple. Ice-breaker, conversation starter (Lucky enough I'm not that kind of guy :angel: ). The WOW factor is assured with this phone, not ubiquitous but exclusive.
- I don't know if the SGS5 will come out with a rocket-fuel propelled chip or a mind-controled UI, but this phone is simply the best-looking-phone.

CONS?
Well, I found that the loudspeaker volume went very low after the phone got submerged in water.
At first I was shocked, I thought I may have forgotten to close the seals properly and I thought I could have got some water damage, but after double-checking I realized the reason was very simple: the loudspeaker gets soaked in water.

Now let me put my flame-retardant suit on and let's wait for your oppinions. Your mileage may vary, but mine has been great to date. Just my oppinions. Have fun.

Hi thanks for your opinion! :)

Can you post wath is your device settings for optimal battery life..
I newbee in android word i've XZ from 2 days..
What i've to do?

bluetooth can still always on or is drain battery?
wifi can i use the gps option or is better to turn off manualy?
i don't use stamina because i need the led notification..
i've disable the google now..

Can you give me some tricks to expand my battery life.. thank you so much.. and excuse me for my poor english.. :D

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
Hi thanks for your opinion! :)

Can you post wath is your device settings for optimal battery life..
I newbee in android word i've XZ from 2 days..
What i've to do?

bluetooth can still always on or is drain battery?
wifi can i use the gps option or is better to turn off manualy?
i don't use stamina because i need the led notification..
i've disable the google now..

Can you give me some tricks to expand my battery life.. thank you so much.. and excuse me for my poor english.. :D

Check your battery stats to see what's draining your juice. To me, it was the screen and my mail apps. I stay in 2g (EDGE) unless I want to navigate the web, and I disabled google+ auto pic upload. Also, I changed to auto bright screen. I keep GPS on. BT goes on when I'm driving (smart tag) and WiFi turns on at home & office (another smart tag).

mervluk

Jan 30, 2013
Happy.

Yep I think it knocks the socks off my Razr i for the quality of its wi-fi and fm radio reception. Screen absolutely fine, and camera too when I get to grips with it. Little annoyances are the caps over every orifice that make it look like it's held together with string (it's actually very sturdy) and fingermarks, fingermarks, everywhere. (And I can never get the last few key-location bubbles out from under the screen protector). Unfortunately mine is on a contract with the mickey mouse Three UK's stupidly named One Plan so mobile data and phone is pretty much a waste of space, but since it seems everyone in the overpopulated UK is falling over themselves to provide wi-fi services I can live with their let-down.

Last edited:

alexpraga

Mar 18, 2009
First, I love this Xperia!

I'm on stock 350 and rooted. Most of the time the phone works perfectly. However, 2 or 3 times already the phone gets a bit hot, and consuming a lot of juice, for instance using xda app on lte network. SetCPU identified 41 deg Celsius. I was checking battery usage and it gave me a good share for app Devices.

I was looking for info about this app (has the same icon as Movies) but nothing. I blocked it now with Titanium, will I miss it?

Sent from my Xperia Z

akuma2012

Jul 28, 2012
The phone is average at best. Already can pick one up for £270 used on ebay

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

alexpraga

Mar 18, 2009
You could get it for free and still be an awesome piece of technology, which it is!

Sent from my Xperia Z

akuma2012

Jul 28, 2012
Why is anyone who rightly critcises a medicore device a troll? What does the z have that the n2 doesnt other than a water gimmick?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

CONS?

I come from the Note 2 to XZ. I'm now 7 weeks using this gorgeous device. IMO this is the most beautiful Android device to date! The phone is now tuned to work very well with my daily needs. I keep mine bare naked, no case as something this good looking should be appreciated for its design (unlike Samsung's boring design, even with the new S4). I make use of the water proof feature cos I wash the phone once a week to clean away the grease. Anyway, there are some minor bugs and hopefully they'll get fixed with the next update. Sony has done an excellent job with this phone! Nice launcher, widgets etc, very much clean and crisp skin, perfect for me. Other fanboys can troll this device as much as they like but they can only envy because no other Android handset manufacturer has managed to create such a good balance between design, performance and software.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium
    Lol I love these Samsung fan boy comments. Especially about water resistant as a gimmick. You know what's a gimmick? Blasting Sony for poor viewing angle. Who in the right mind views their phone from an angle? Are you mentally special? Now that's a gimmick. Water resistant, that's a function. It actually had a purpose, you won't cry like a B when your phone accidentally comes in contact with water the next time around. What is wrong with people these days, get your head straight.

Oh and to the poster that says note 2 is innovative or something along those lines? What part is innovating or remotely smart about making a phone the size of a brick and putting it next to your face? Haha, gg and no re. Samsung has been stuck on the iPhone 3g design that they had stolen from Apple 3 years ago. Common, seriously? But I guess people don't care for originality anymore.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 2
    Now now lets be civil. Just because I can afford a proper smartphone and not a subsidised cheap feeling poor spec asus device doesnt mean you need to hate.

Samsung premium? LOL. You're a sad sad individual.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 2
    My only problem with Z is that after these 3 weeks the phone is so tuned to my needs that I don't have nothing left to tweak... I keep digging xda for new things but most of the add ons are just silly.

X10, those were the days...

Sent from my Xperia Z