[How To] Free OpenVPN Connection on Xperia X10

Search This thread

jimbo77

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
So this is my 2nd Thread :D ... I know a lot of people use their Xperia X10 to surf through the WEB and i'm sure that like me a lot of you also have problems due some sites being blocked or unable to perform certain downloads. My problem is the Second; I can't download from almost any host (Megaupload, Hotfile, Rapidshare...) because my career has set up the same IP address to all Mobile Phones...

To avoid this issue i was using EvoVPN and it was good until 2 weeks ago when the service was shut down. Anyways i've read a lot and probably This has been post before but i found a way to have FreeVPN services working in our beloved X10s....

What do you need?

1. Have SuperUser Access (ROOT).

2. Install Busybox from within the Android Market (Version 1.17).[Mandatory]

UPDATE!!!

[*] Added Tun.ko Working for Android 2.3.3 Update.. Thanks to gergnz

HERE!!

3. Download and unzip this file in the root of your SDCARD
3.1Dropbox
3.2Mirror Mediafire

4. Install OpenVPN Settings from within the Android Market.

5. Install Android Terminal Emulator from within the Android Market.

Procedure:

1. Open Android Terminal Emulator and issue the following Commands:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system

busybox insmod /sdcard/openvpn/tun.ko
busybox cp /sdcard/openvpn/openvpn /system/xbin/openvpn
busybox cp /sdcard/openvpn/openvpn /system/xbin/tun.ko
chmod 700 /system/xbin/openvpn
mkdir /system/xbin/bb
busybox ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/bb/ifconfig
busybox ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/bb/route

busybox mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system
busybox cp /sdcard/openvpn/chargemon /system/bin/chargemon
busybox cp /sdcard/openvpn/busybox /system/bin/busybox
reboot

* Note the last two lines are useful only if you have Xrecovery Installed because it needs this busybox version to work, you can skip it if you don't use Xrecovery....

2. Open VPN Settings and press Menu-->Advanced

3. Check the "Load tun Kernel module" checkbox

4. In TUN module settings select: insmod ; and the path to run module should be: /sdcard/openvpn/tun.ko

5. Path Configurations should be: /sdcard/openvpn

6. Path to openvpn binary should be: /system/xbin/openvpn

7. Back

8. Click on OpenVPN

9. Select freeopenvpn.ovpn

10. This should automatically assign you an IPAddress and you'll be set to use freevpn services.

NOTES!! Please READ BEFORE POSTING/Asking

Thanks to alx5962 for compiling the TUN.KO module!!!

1. Whenever you connect to freeopenvpn.ovpn the web browser will redirect you to http://www.freeopenvpn.com in order to activate the service, you just need to click on the linck and you'll be set.

2. If you don't click on that you won't be able to transfer any data either over WIFI or 3G

3. It's not always but if you can't load the http://www.freeopenvpn.com webpage after clickin on it,please wait while the phone is trying to comunicate with the server, it can take up to 5 Minutes :S but it will eventually load :D :D :D

4. After the webpage loads you'll be redirected to their site but you can start browsing using the assigned IP Address.

5. EVERY time you close the VPN connection and you login again the phone/server will request the process stated above.

6. If you find this useful you can always use the Thanks button and buy me a beer.... HERE

BEFORE:

hotfile1.png

IP1.png

AFTER:

Hotfile2.png

IP2.png

Downloading

screenshot.png

Last edited:

WindGhost

Aug 3, 2010
Kampala
All good, but...
It's not always but if you can't load the http://www.freeopenvpn.com webpage after clickin on it,please wait while the phone is trying to comunicate with the server, it can take up to 5 Minutes :S but it will eventually load

I'm still waiting about 15 min :D

NO NEED FOR THESE, EVEN IF YOU GOT xRecovery.

All works good, thnx :)

Last edited:

WindGhost

Aug 3, 2010
Kampala
Yep, works great, but as I said in my post above, no need for those three lines :
xRecovery stopped work (Android 2.1 : 2.0.2.A.0.24 - zdzihu ROM). About the SE ROM, I don't know.

gohwh1

Nov 19, 2010
5. EVERY time you close the VPN connection and you login again the phone/server will request the process stated above.

Does it mean:
1. Whenever you connect to freeopenvpn.ovpn the web browser will redirect you to http://www.freeopenvpn.com in order to activate the service, you just need to click on the linck and you'll be set.

2. If you don't click on that you won't be able to transfer any data either over WIFI or 3G

3. It's not always but if you can't load the http://www.freeopenvpn.com webpage after clickin on it,please wait while the phone is trying to comunicate with the server, it can take up to 5 Minutes :S but it will eventually load

4. After the webpage loads you'll be redirected to their site but you can start browsing using the assigned IP Address.

Or the procedure above, where we need to type in all the command?
I get error when issuing the first line of command. Permission denied

Last edited:

WindGhost

Aug 3, 2010
Kampala

Does it mean:

3. It's not always but if you can't load the http://www.freeopenvpn.com webpage after clickin on it,please wait while the phone is trying to comunicate with the server, it can take up to 5 Minutes :S but it will eventually load

Or the procedure above, where we need to type in all the command?
I get error when issuing the first line of command. Permission denied
type first su in command line :)

khelwani

Dec 2, 2010
my phone is rooted and everything is done !
but I got Permission denied with the first line , even with su
what to do ?!!

It's working ,, I used the adb on windows ti issue the lines :)

Last edited:

rvictorg

Apr 25, 2010
Toronto
Is it possible to select the country of origin where the server resides? ie always use the United States?

Could this be a workaround to use Google Voice?

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Is it possible to select the country of origin where the server resides? ie always use the United States?

You can change it only if you open an account on www.openvpn.net probably you can select other countries/locations.

As per GVoice i don´t think this could help since GVoice is bases specially on your Gmail Account so if your Gmail Account is not registered within the US this won´t work.

Reactions: rvictorg

gohwh1

Nov 19, 2010
It work using my home wifi. But when I used my school wifi, it doesnt work. After pressing the active server, it load for a while then after that they show page could not be displayed.

My school is blocking other server application such as MSN Talk, Go facebook Chat, Pocket legend etc.

tssi

Sep 10, 2008
Is there anyway to by-pass proxy server? our workplace have a proxy server which you need to set before getting through to any webpage.

the X10 (Adroid 2.1) does't support proxy.

evanbigfan

Jan 9, 2011
bangkok
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hey

am doing exactly what u said in terminal part,but its not working

i mean yeah ,when am trying to open a new windows,its said i should go to www.freeopenvpn.com to get access,and then it said done
i only can open google after that,not any other site, :(((((((

am so saaaaaaaaaaaaaad ,after all of that work :(

Last edited:

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
hey

am doing exactly what u said in terminal part,but its not working

i mean yeah ,when am trying to open a new windows,its said i should go to www.freeopenvpn.com to get access,and then it said done
i only can open google after that,not any other site, :(((((((

am so saaaaaaaaaaaaaad ,after all of that work :(

Honestly that's weird i haven't had any system issue myself running this VPN service...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So this is my 2nd Thread :D ... I know a lot of people use their Xperia X10 to surf through the WEB and i'm sure that like me a lot of you also have problems due some sites being blocked or unable to perform certain downloads. My problem is the Second; I can't download from almost any host (Megaupload, Hotfile, Rapidshare...) because my career has set up the same IP address to all Mobile Phones...

To avoid this issue i was using EvoVPN and it was good until 2 weeks ago when the service was shut down. Anyways i've read a lot and probably This has been post before but i found a way to have FreeVPN services working in our beloved X10s....

What do you need?

1. Have SuperUser Access (ROOT).

2. Install Busybox from within the Android Market (Version 1.17).[Mandatory]

UPDATE!!!

[*] Added Tun.ko Working for Android 2.3.3 Update.. Thanks to gergnz

HERE!!

3. Download and unzip this file in the root of your SDCARD
    3.1Dropbox
    3.2Mirror Mediafire

4. Install OpenVPN Settings from within the Android Market.

5. Install Android Terminal Emulator from within the Android Market.

Procedure:

1. Open Android Terminal Emulator and issue the following Commands:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system

busybox insmod /sdcard/openvpn/tun.ko
    busybox cp /sdcard/openvpn/openvpn /system/xbin/openvpn
    busybox cp /sdcard/openvpn/openvpn /system/xbin/tun.ko
    chmod 700 /system/xbin/openvpn
    mkdir /system/xbin/bb
    busybox ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/bb/ifconfig
    busybox ln -s /system/bin/busybox /system/xbin/bb/route

reboot

* Note the last two lines are useful only if you have Xrecovery Installed because it needs this busybox version to work, you can skip it if you don't use Xrecovery....

2. Open VPN Settings and press Menu-->Advanced

3. Check the "Load tun Kernel module" checkbox

4. In TUN module settings select: insmod ; and the path to run module should be: /sdcard/openvpn/tun.ko

5. Path Configurations should be: /sdcard/openvpn

6. Path to openvpn binary should be: /system/xbin/openvpn

7. Back

8. Click on OpenVPN

9. Select freeopenvpn.ovpn

10. This should automatically assign you an IPAddress and you'll be set to use freevpn services.

NOTES!! Please READ BEFORE POSTING/Asking

Thanks to alx5962 for compiling the TUN.KO module!!!

3. It's not always but if you can't load the http://www.freeopenvpn.com webpage after clickin on it,please wait while the phone is trying to comunicate with the server, it can take up to 5 Minutes :S but it will eventually load :D :D :D

6. If you find this useful you can always use the Thanks button and buy me a beer.... HERE

BEFORE:

hotfile1.png

IP1.png

AFTER:

Hotfile2.png

IP2.png

Downloading

screenshot.png
    Guys, great news, Wolbreak just posted new update to his ROM and it includes TUN/TAP driver. I use his rom, but maybe it will be possible to take only the kernel module and put it in the right place.
    Here is the link to his post
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16625993&postcount=6414

p.s.
    Downloading the update and'll try soon.
    --
    best regards
    fingerr
    This module is taken from my CM7 ROM :)

Just PM me if you need the module only.

Cheers,
    z
    hi may i know how did you do it? hope detailed steps might be helpful. thanks...got tun.ko modules already?

OK, let's go :)
    1. I use Wolfbreak's ROM, 3.9 features update as it includes tun.ko (once istalled I fall back to 3.9 stable version so tun.ko is still there) - @Z please post install package of tun.ko for Xrec as separate download, so anybody can try on his ROM.
    2. installed openvpn installer and openvpn setting,
    3. used instructions (not all as I dont have adb shell) from http://code.google.com/p/android-openvpn-installer/issues/detail?id=2#c30, anyway below is my way:
    -on PC downloaded http://github.com/downloads/fries/android-external-openvpn/openvpn-static.bz2
    - on PC I've unarchived (7zip) downloaded openvpn-static.bz2, and renamed to openvpn, then moved openvpn to root of sdcard
    (next part done at X10)
    - under terminal, used su do to gain root access,
    - mounted /system as rw (mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system)
    - then linked /system/xbin as /system/xbin/bb (ln -s /system/xbin /system/xbin/bb)
    - renamed openvpn to openvpn.old (mv /system/xbin/openvpn as /system/xbin/openvpn.old)
    - moved downloaded openvpn to right place (mv /sdcard/openvpn /system/xbin)
    - applied execute bit to openpn (chmod +x /system/xbin/openvpn)
    - launched OpenVPN settings, edited and finetuned my config file and hell yeah... it worked

One note, if you can't connect at first time, use terminal to launch openvpn (/system/xbin/openvpn --config /sdcard/openvpn/your_conf_file.ovpn) and check whats the problem (when you launch from Openvpnsetting it doesn't have logfile or I'm to lazy/stupid to find it :) )

And always remember, use GOOGLE search, it doesn't bite and its your best friend!!!

Hope it helped...

EDIT:
    @Z - one thought, maybe you can prepare openvpn install package for Xrec so it do all the thigns:
    - install tun.ko
    - install static openvpn binary in /system/xbin with execute priv (http://github.com/downloads/fries/android-external-openvpn/openvpn-static.bz2)
    - link /system/xbin as /system/xbin/bb
    so we do not have to install openvpninstaller and do the things manually.
    How about that master Z?

--
    best regards
    fingerr

hit thanks if you feel excited about this post, LOL ... joke ....

You can change it only if you open an account on www.openvpn.net probably you can select other countries/locations.

As per GVoice i don´t think this could help since GVoice is bases specially on your Gmail Account so if your Gmail Account is not registered within the US this won´t work.
    tried that but still the same error on cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically also i checked the tun.ko file in /system/lib/modules directory and there is no such file.

Please find attached zipped tun.ko . Unzip and put on sdcard, then follow my guide to mount /system in rw mode and after that do in trerminal:
    - su
    - cd /system/lib/modules
    - mv /sdcard/tun.ko ./
    - chmod +x tun.ko

and try if things are working.

--
    br
    fingerr