Australian AU Galaxy S II (help/rooting/updates,etc)

Search This thread

akira888

Dec 14, 2008
hey all
Good to see heaps of aussies on here..
Just want to share my experiences with the S2...received about 2 weeks ago from optus,immediately put a telstra sim in and have tried many roms and kernels..At the moment i am on leomar75 2.2.. and am very happy..also with Lulz kernel for KG2...using the tegrak app i oc to 1452 and undervolt...this is the best battery usage i have experienced since getting the phone...also very fast and smooth ....
I also have experimented with different modems and have gone back to KF2...this gives me the fastest speeds on data and wifi...
this setup seems like a keeper...will just keep an eye on cm7 and insanity builds as that is what i had on sg1..

cheers mark

Hi Mark,

Would you mind elaborating more on the OC GHZ and undervolt thing?

To my best knowledge (from a perspective of a PC user :D), shouldn't we at least maintain the voltage (surely increase is better ) during overclocking to ensure stability?

Thanks

maark11

Apr 27, 2011
ok.first of all i want to say that i am far from an expert in this..i just researched a lot and experimented on both galxy s1 and 2...seems that our phones will run at less voltage than factory settings,thus saving battery.and will also spend most of there time at lower cpu clock speeds so undervolting these lower speeds makes a big difference....also all cpu's are different so there are no perfect settings...i use an app called tegrak.,plus there kernel...but there are many others..If you are interested i can give you my stable settings...
here is some posts explaining how it works and how to do it....

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14973796&postcount=531

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12910471#post12910471

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1101355

also,this phone is already super fast so you will probably be happy with stock speeds and just undervolt for better battery life...

cheers mark

mrxd

Dec 20, 2010
South Australia
What version would be best to use?

Latest stock / official is usually a good place to start. Have a read of the thread and gauge what the general consensus is and if people are having issues.

Once you get comfortable with that you can venture out and try some custom ROM's. I'm a big fan of pulser's work, VillainRom coupled with ninpo's Ninphetamine kernel is a beast, super fast and great battery life. FYI don't post any stupid **** in the ninpo thread or you are bound to end up in post #5 :)

Geumbou

Aug 28, 2010
Hi all,

Got my SGS2 from Optus. I came from the SGS1 on Galnet's MIUI rom, so I was not a big fan of the stock Samsung firmware.

Flashed bmarko's beta, which if you can live without 1080p video recording, vibration issues, no FM radio, SGS2's email apk (one of the only things I liked) & some optimization issues, this rom is actually very usable for daily use.

Of course there's the benefits from the MIUI rom you gain.

beaver2233

Feb 19, 2011
Sydney
Hi all,

Got my SGS2 from Optus. I came from the SGS1 on Galnet's MIUI rom, so I was not a big fan of the stock Samsung firmware.

Flashed bmarko's beta, which if you can live without 1080p video recording, vibration issues, no FM radio, SGS2's email apk (one of the only things I liked) & some optimization issues, this rom is actually very usable for daily use.

Of course there's the benefits from the MIUI rom you gain.
hi mate, this is a question directed at you (not really related to aussie), is it much of an upgrade from the sgs1 flashed with galnets miui to the sgs2 ?
I've yet been able to test/use a sgs2 to compare...
thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Urimagination

Jul 18, 2011
Latest stock / official is usually a good place to start. Have a read of the thread and gauge what the general consensus is and if people are having issues.

Will do, Do the Symbols before the Kernal version represent different countries?

Once you get comfortable with that you can venture out and try some custom ROM's. I'm a big fan of pulser's work, VillainRom coupled with ninpo's Ninphetamine kernel is a beast, super fast and great battery life. FYI don't post any stupid **** in the ninpo thread or you are bound to end up in post #5 :)

Thanks just trying to get as much info as i can so i dont get flamed in the other threads ;)

mrxd

Dec 20, 2010
South Australia
Do the Symbols before the Kernal version represent different countries?

Yes, Samsung like to use esoteric codes for firmware, kernel, modem etc.

Samfirmware have a full list of the country codes here if you are interested.

For example: XXKG3, from what I understand

XX is the European region

K is the 11th letter of the alphabet: 2011
G is the 7th letter of the alphabet: July
3 is the 3rd release for July.

Last edited:

kayot1k

Jul 25, 2011
question

hey guys, long time viewer first time poster.

anyone aware of a problem with the SG2 where it cuts the mobile network (2g/3g/h) intermittently? my fone randomly cuts off the mobile network and it looks like it sends data but doesn't receive. i have to manually change to plane/WiFi then change back to get it working again.

similar to my home network router sometimes, but this is a tad worse, its almost as if it goes to sleep but doesnt wake with the device.

it doesn't frequently but enough to annoy me when i come back to my fone and notice its disconnected from my sync'ed apps.

Last edited:

YuckiestRapier

Jul 25, 2011
Perth
Hey guys,

Just bought a S II and was hoping to root it, but my kernel says its KEB. I can't seem to find very much on that particular version. Here are all the details after using *#1234#:

PDA: I9100XWKEB
PHONE: I9100XXKE6
CSC: I9100XSAKE4

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

mrxd

Dec 20, 2010
South Australia
Hey guys,

Just bought a S II and was hoping to root it, but my kernel says its KEB. I can't seem to find very much on that particular version. Here are all the details after using *#1234#:

PDA: I9100XWKEB
PHONE: I9100XXKE6
CSC: I9100XSAKE4

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

It's KE8 bro, as in the number. Download the KE8 kernel from the CF-Root thread

Reactions: YuckiestRapier

JAG131990

Jul 17, 2011
hey guys, long time viewer first time poster.

anyone aware of a problem with the SG2 where it cuts the mobile network (2g/3g/h) intermittently? my fone randomly cuts off the mobile network and it looks like it sends data but doesn't receive. i have to manually change to plane/WiFi then change back to get it working again.

similar to my home network router sometimes, but this is a tad worse, its almost as if it goes to sleep but doesnt wake with the device.

it doesn't frequently but enough to annoy me when i come back to my fone and notice its disconnected from my sync'ed apps.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15253531

Fix/Workaround for mobile data connectivity problems (3G/H/H+ dropping connection)

This what your looking for?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Urimagination

Jul 18, 2011
Yes, Samsung like to use esoteric codes for firmware, kernel, modem etc.

Samfirmware have a full list of the country codes here if you are interested.

Thanks

For example: XXKG3, from what I understand

XX is the European region

K is the 11th letter of the alphabet: 2011
G is the 7th letter of the alphabet: July
3 is the 3rd release for July.

So for example if i want to flash the firmware with a stock version of XWKG1 or XXKF2 should be fine? As long as its the stock one? I plan to use the latest firmware with the latest CF-ROOT as i only have rooted KE7 and would like to upgrade.

kayot1k

Jul 25, 2011
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15253531

Fix/Workaround for mobile data connectivity problems (3G/H/H+ dropping connection)

This what your looking for?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

not sure if its applicable as it sort of gets stuck in in the current network its in whether it be 2g/3g/h etc... you can see how it tries to send data (up green arrow) but fails to recieve (orange down arrow). not necessarily dropping connection per say. on second thoughts this might be the same problem. cheers, will probably wait till next firmware release though. not all bad.

Last edited:

Plopz

Jun 20, 2011
Hey man,

Would you mind telling me how to get this 3g hack done?

The other thread is very technical..:(

So I guess I just copy your setting into that particular file?

If you can also post your result from speedtest, it would be great too:D

B4 I was using DUKF4, the stock ROM from vodaAUS (2.3.3), my dl speed could reach 3.5M, after upgrading to 2.3.4, i got only 1.8-9M dl speed.

I was planning to flash back the modem tar from DUKF4.

But I would also like to try this 3G hack first b4 going back.:D

Cheers

Firstly, you need a rooted phone to apply the hack.

On your rooted phone, open up your favourite Root Explorer and goto:

/system/

Find your build.prop file and back it up! (copy and rename to something like build.prop.original).

Then open your build.prop file in a text editor (in Root Explorer you long hold the file for the menu) and copy and paste the settings I posted above somewhere in the file. I put mine at the bottom and worked just fine.

Then reboot your phone 3 times for the settings to take effect.

Happy tinkering!

EDIT: I can't post a screenshot of my speedtest while at work, but I'll do when I get home! :p

Last edited:

Geumbou

Aug 28, 2010
hi mate, this is a question directed at you (not really related to aussie), is it much of an upgrade from the sgs1 flashed with galnets miui to the sgs2 ?
I've yet been able to test/use a sgs2 to compare...
thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply,

Not much of an upgrade at all. Galnet's MIUI is a lot, a lot more mature. Which it should with the time spent on it.

bmarko's is still in beta & I'm definitely impressed. The SGS2 heats up very quick using MIUI. The SGS never once heated up for me even with a clock speed of 1.44ghz.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

The Galaxy S2 is an extremely powerful (and very popular) smartphone in the market today - and since Samsung have sold a record number of these worldwide, figured its about to BOOM bigtime; particularly in Australia as prices start to fall and phone plans start to drop. Because of this, I wanted to provide other Aussie members on these forums with a HANDY point of reference, as a lot of guides & tutorials are for different models or have different specifications and require some tweaking. Use this thread as a guide, a starting point, or utilise this thread for other aussie general help.

Please help by posting what build you have on your SGS2, your speed test results in australia, modem type, network,etc...Your experiences, your advice, any input is appreciated. Ive only done the first 15 pages thus far:

Members and their SGS2's on the following networks:

VODAFONE
    unrealtb
    MealsOnWheels
    anuj25
    Jesmicael
    akira888
    infra4800
    fuusuke

OPTUS
    HeavySixEight
    sm98
    jwonga
    robt772000
    ausdrioder
    sabamacx
    jinx405
    beaver2233
    Sico69galaxy
    mrxd
    cheetah2k

TELSTRA
    roosta
    tjjensen23
    bentothemaxx
    zeitgeb3r
    BennyT83
    gunigugu
    Plopz
    shtumpa
    irv777
    extremeit79
    maark11
    YukiestRapier
    alexeiw123

UNKNOWN:
    380AU
    jerome.d

page 2: Optus/Telstra tips/tricks on FW: diable fast dormancy, GPS info etc

page 5: Full review of phone (photo/vid), usb drivers, oldin, complete phone service manual, letter codes

page 10:Specifics for rooted phone 3g hack

page 11: undervolting and saving battery life steps

Thanks guys

RoOSTA
    Shotty's Helper Post

I myself have a i9100T which was originally bought on contract from Telstra, but my mate loved iPhones too much and didn't want to change so I grabbed it for a song in June 2011. I've had it running on several ROMs, starting with OEM Ginger to JB 4.2.2., but I've found it's most stable on IceCream 4.0.4. It's currently running:
    Jellybean 4.1.2 - Slim-3.1.0-Official (JZO54K) ROM
    3.0.15-CM-HardCorePawn 'rooted' kernel
    I9100XXMS4 modem with 'telstra.iph' APN

Everything works wonderfully well - it's fast, has great battery life, the images, screen, text, video all look great, the sound for a phone call is clear and loud, ringtones are loud, the Bluetooth works with my car stereo and I can play video from it to my Samsung LED TV via wi-fi.

Thing is, not all I9100's are the same...

If you're lucky enough to have an i9100M, or perhaps an i9210/i9210T or an i9100G, just be aware that you have differences in hardware. With that, do your research thoroughly before flashing something that may not work properly on your device, or even worse, kill it. The i9100/i9100T/i9100 International and the i9100G both run the same CPU, a 1.2GHz dual core Cortex-A9. The i9100/T/Int'l has the Exynos chipset, i9100G has a (slower) Texas Instruments OMAP4430. For graphics, the i9100/T/Int'l has the (more powerful) Mali 400MP, i9100G runs the PowerVR SGX540 GPU. This is why they need slightly different ROMs and firmwares, due to the differences in hardware. The G, the T and the International are not 4G/LTE (Long Term Evolution) capable.

The i9100M is the Canadian Galaxy S2-class device with 4G/LTE capability, featuring the same CPU and chipset as a i9100/T/Int'l. The i9210 (and its 'T' variant, which Telstra Australia have as their Galaxy S2-class 4G device) has more grunt and better graphics than all of those. It comes with a 1.5GHz dual core Scorpion CPU, Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 chipset and Adreno 220 GPU. Rooting for these other phones is a little bit different, from what I've been told, because of the presence of (1) the LTE chip, (2) different chipset, and (3) different GPU, in your device. I've only ever had a SGS-1 i9000 and my current SGS-2 i9100T, so unfortunately I don't know a great deal about devices I've never worked on.

If you're looking for help with the i9210/i9210T, the thread for your device is here below...

i9210T:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1593061

For the best way to compare phones, tablets etc., there are two sites which are always 'top of the game' when it comes to hardware specifications, release dates and the like. They are GSM Arena and PDA Database. Click on their names to visit their Homepage(s).

Okay, how do you get the best out of a I9100/I9100T?

Firstly, may I just say follow these instructions to the letter before coming to me with questions. I have spent the best part of three years tinkering with my own i9100, also researching across XDA-Developers and a number of other Android forums to take the very best information that actually works time and again.
    And we start afresh. Back up your device - all your photos and music, etc. - to your PC, then you're going to need to make a trip to SamMobile.com, join up with them (if you haven't already) and go jumping through their hoops to find the 595.16MB ZIP archive known as...
    Australian Stock Unbranded XSA Jellybean ROM (4.1.2). The file itself you're looking for is called I9100XWLSH_I9100XSALSA_XSA.zip, and you find it by logging into your SamMobile account, navigating your way to their firmwares database then clicking on the correct device names in the dropdowns. It's a slow site, so give it time, but you're looking for:
    Galaxy GT-I9100, Australia (XSA) 4.1.2
    DO NOT grab the Optus one, or any other 'carrier-branded' firmware unless you want to fill your device with rubbish and wait longer for a larger file to download. Create a New folder on your Desktop, then (using WinRAR or 7ZIP) extract the contents of the ZIP you downloaded into that folder.
    Next, go grab a nice little program called Odin, available here (thanks to daerragh)...

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/themes-apps/27-08-2013-odin-3-09-odin-1-85-versions-t2189539

Odin is what you use to 'flash' the new firmware into your phone, and there is plenty of advice and assistance available in the thread you'll visit to grab the application so I won't go into details here. Another thing about Odin, it is one of the most stable ways of performing the next step - rooting.

You'll find throughout XDA a number of device-specific threads and posts about how to gain root access to your device. One thing you'll definitely need is what's known as a 'rooted kernel'. The one just below is specifically for the i9100 and JellyBean, and if you have issues with what to do or how to do it, post a Help request on that thread (thanks to PhilZ)...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31310884&postcount=3

The specific file you are looking for is under the heading << 22.03.2013 - PhilZ-cwm6 v4.90.8 with CWM 6.0.3.0 based recovery >>, and is called PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSH-XSA-4.90.8.tar.md5. Again, you use Odin to 'flash' that into your phone.

Once you've done that, you'll be looking for a way to get rid of the 'dreaded' Yellow Triangle. Go check out...

chainfire's TriangleAway Thread

and follow the instructions from the Master himself. Grab the TriangleAway-v3.26.apk from the link at the bottom of that post, and throw the man a Donation - the guy reigns supreme with these devices and deserves every bit of credit for the support he gives us all.

Okay. Right here is the most important step - BACKUP YOUR DEVICE'S EFS FOLDER!!! This is a location where information pertaining to your device's IMEI number are stored, and this folder can sometimes be wiped when you flash a custom ROM. Of course, it's much easier for yourself or any phone app. written for the purpose to do this task when the device is rooted, which is why I'm discussing it after I let you know about gaining root access. Read this excellent guide for a thorough explanation of the how's and why's of this very important piece of the custom ROM puzzle (thanks to Rawat)...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13566061&postcount=1

Next, go and find yourself a ROM, preferably a Samsung-based one. AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ones are okay, but they come with a little 'statistics' app that you can't get rid of, and is a pain in the 'ah-hem' to disable. The origins of AOKP ROMs have been rewritten by a group of developers using Android sources, but it's kinda like trying to write a version of Apple iOS that runs on an IBM clone designed for Windows. It works, and some do really work well because on the surface they're Android, but underneath????
    The thing with AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROMs is, they are built on Google's original Android source code, so you're getting the base code of the OS exactly as the Original Programmer intended. The manufacturers then get their grubby little hands on that code, then go to town making it control their hardware in the manner they want.
    Now, the list of Original (Custom) ROMs for the i9100 that are shared here on XDA can be seen by following the link below...

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1058

For custom ROMs that are 'outside the box' (so to speak), such as MIUI ROMs, 'nightlies' and AOKP ROMs, check out the thread below...

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1204

If you have questions about the ROM itself, how to 'flash' the ROM, or anything else about that particular release, ask them of the ROM Chef in the thread where you got it from. They're the ones who cooked it, so they've already gone through the trials and errors and successes of getting their ROM working on an i9100, making them the best guys and gals to ask if you have dramas with the ROM. 99.9% of the time the ROM Chef's thread will have in the first couple of posts Instructions on How To Flash, FAQ's, known issues, etc.

The advice I give everyone regardless of what device you have is, Back the damn thing up first - it's called a nandroid backup, Google it - and make sure you clean all traces of the old firmware out of your phone thoroughly. More often than not, the dramas people have when they get up and running on a newly flashed ROM (or, issues in restarting the device after a flash) can be directly attributed to remnants of the old ROM interfering with the new. This is especially so for flashing via Recovery. If you use Odin to flash a Stock firmware, it pretty much smashes its way over the top of whatever you've got installed, and gives you a fresh palate to work with.

Go and grab hawkerpaul's scripted cleaner kits - GS2KernelWipeV2.02 and GS2ROMWipeV2.02 (they are run in Recovery Mode) before installing any new custom ROM (after rooting). They are available from the XDA thread link below (thanks to hawkerpaul). If you have any questions about those scripts, be sure to post them on that thread and NOT here on the 'Australian AU Galaxy S II (help/rooting/updates,etc)' thread...

Click HERE for HawkerPaul's Cleaner Scripts

Now, if you're having issues with carrier network connectivity, call quality, mobile internet etc., it could be either your network APN (Access Point Name) settings or your ROM's 'modem' package. APN settings are within the phone's Network setup menu. The best list of Australian carrier APN's I've found is at Ausdroid Forums. Modems are a sort of 'try them until you get one you're happy with' kind of thing, and the best list of modems is hosted by XDA's very own Legend Of Radios, aprilia at...
    Code:
    http://d-h.st/users/ApriliaM3/?fld_id=7318#files
    Unfortunately our esteemed colleague doesn't have a great deal to do with our now antique devices, so my advice is to grab a few of the modem ZIPs there and take at least two days of testing each until you get one that gives you enwhitenment. What Aprilia has there gets flashed through CWM Recovery, and the best Australian modems as of December 2014 are XXMS2, and XXMS4.

After reading through the above, if you're still stuck for ideas I have another Helper Post that you can check out...

Click HERE for Shotty's Other Helper Post

Hope that gets your device running smikko, and if you're that stuck you need a bit of special attention, PM me. Lastly, make sure to click on the Thanks button if you got help from this tutorial...
    I've attached CWM flashable zip for the new Vodafone modem for ICS enjoy!

I9100TDULP4
    XWLP4: Download
    Firmware info: PDA:XWLP4|PHONE:XXLPS|CSC:OPSLP4

XWLP4 Stock Kernel: Download
    Password: intratech@XDA

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

G'day All,
    Do i have to unroot my SG2 to install Optus ICS firmware ?

I will appreciate your answer thank$
    RR

NO :):):):):):):):):):)
    I forgot ask still 1 question:
    If I will buy smartphone in Optus shop,how long time will take from Optus do udpates new firmwares?

For example:Samsung issues new firmware for "clear"(without special Optus Menu) SGS 1.After how long time will come new firmware to Optus SGS 1?

If Optus stock the phone before Telstra, which they do, they are liekly to release their version of the newer firmware before Telstra. From my experience in Andriod, Telstra are very slow with their releases. But if you want a clean firmware with NO locked Optus apps, you are usually better off getting another compatable version thats already out there (as i mentioned i have Telecom NZ firmware on my Telstra SGS1, they took WAAY to long to release Froyo last year).

To answer a previous question you had; dont pay anything over or near $700. I got mine for $525 with post (albeit from terrible retailer Soppingsquare - see pg4) , which im still waiting on. Will report everything when i get it.

In the meantime, if you havent seen this site; www.samfirmware.com is fantastic, here's some useful stuff from there - i'd recommend signing up as a member:

Full review of the phone, photos, videos etc:
    http://www.samfirmware.com/galaxysii.htm

USB driver, Odin 1.83 (not sure if latest), Service Manual and a COMPLETE Letter guide to understand the specific model of your phone, revision, version (etc), i pavckaged this all up as one RAR file for you guys to look at.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ADRME290

If you download, its appreciated you click the 'thanks' button. Hope that helps some of the new guys.

RoOSTA