Another try

I was going to try out your Set CPU config. To do that I did the following:

- Shutdown phone
- Removed SD card
- Booted phone
- Entered PIN, went to Backup and Recovery: Factory Reset
- Shutdown phone
- Inserted SD card
- Booted (during boot the factory reset did something, something blipped up briefly before the boot animation showed)
- Without going into any of the initial setup (did not enter PIN), held the power key and selected reboot and reboot into recovery
- Full wipe
- Flashed 0609
- Full wipe
- Rebooted phone
- Initial setup with simcard and PIN entered (got 3G and H+ connection) but without Google account entered: no apps installed
- Turned off BG data
- Let phone sleep
-> No SOD

Hmmm.

- Setup a wifi connection
- Connected to wifi
- Disconnected from wifi
- Let phone sleep
-> No SOD

Hmmm.

I will now leave the phone as it is over night. I'm going to bed now, it will get 6 hours or so of being left alone. BG Data is off. No apps installed.

We shall see tomorrow.

-Z

Thanks for testing, same to me with the Wake Lock App. This works as an workaround for the people with many SODs, I think.

I am myself testing the Set CPU App for over 24h hours - and I had no SOD since installing it. I have attached a link to my profile, this should be the same as Entropy´s: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8904319/profiles.setcpu.json

When you can do an other quick test? When you have no SODs with this app active, this maybe the reason Entropy never had any SODs. He is using Set CPU and for some unknown reason it seems to prevent the note from SODing.

Thanks for your help.
PS: Tell me how I can support you for your investment! :D (A donation in your name to the CM9 devs?)

Again, thank for your help.

Thx.

aalupatti

Feb 20, 2011
Good to see so many mods from ParanoidAndroid project merged into cm9. Now if only they'd implement the tablet mode combo bar toggle, too. Only thing keeping me on ParanoidAndroid.. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Dint quite get you here. Something i missed.
Apologize ahead as I have not been following this thread much.

rlaw

Jul 13, 2011
Benchmarks make it seem more impressive than it is.

In reality, the speed difference results in apps opening a bit faster, widgets screen loading a bit more quickly and that initial wait upon start from boot where the app drawer takes a bit to materialize everything? It's maybe a second quicker.

Not the dramatic speed boost you were expecting, I'm sure. But it's nice to have.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I'm semi-back after my weekend, but totally sleep deprived...

Do the SOD`s mainly occur as a result of changing the storage location (tick/untick) in settings?
That seems to be a major cause - it would be why there has been a major spike in SoDs since the storage switch happened. It seems to be:
1) Some people had SoDs with the old wifi driver - not surprising, the old I9100 Update4 wifi driver was ****. Most of these people had them disappear when we went to the N7000 wifi driver/MMC driver.
2) A bunch of people were SoD free until the storage switch - nearly everyone who saw a spike in SoDs after 6/3 have had them go away if they did a wipe/factory reset. My guess is they had some app that was misbehaving.
3) A very small number of people are still having frequent SoDs. I have no idea why.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to all share? Unless its possible to get all share running on cm9?

Skifta. Skifta rocks. REMEMBER though: Use "Exit" from the menu instead of exiting with Home/Back, as it will hold a wakelock if you don't exit it from the menu.

You might see some clues by looking at dmesg output.

I had a corrupt /system a while ago, and it exhibited the same symptoms, or at least I could not do a "mount -o remount,rw /system". Back then, /system was mounted by recovery, and would not unmount, so had to revert to a GB+CWM kernel/recovery via odin, then booted CWM recovery, then CM install, then partial recovery of latest nandroid. Hopefully you can avoid the last component.

Entropy512 introduced a recent patch where /system is not mounted by recovery by default, allowing it to be wiped from recovery if corrupt. I would exercise this option, probably wiping cache too, and reinstall your current version of CM9, which should preserve your data partition.

If you have partially damadged flash, then I expect things will recur, and possibly get worse, but hopefully that is not the case.
Yup, their description sounded just like /system got corrupted. Some people falsely calling it "lost partial root" - even though the fact is that recovery ALWAYS runs with root privileges, it CANNOT "lose root" unless one of the devs makes a stupid epic mistake.

I `am experencing one SOD a day so far, a bit annoying but i can live with it. Running 09062012, stock kernel, no mods and facing no other issues.

I hope the devs in the future will also add the 1600 Mhz clockspeed option in performance settings.
I eventually might do this, but resolving the last few stability issues takes priority.

Can the development please provide us with some information with these SODs please? And try to fix it or tell us how we can remedy this situation? I've done every possible situation to resolve it. I've formatted both the external and internal storages, taken out the external SD card before flashing the nightly again, complete wipes, and even went back to gb first then flashed cm9 nightly, with every different combinations mentioned above. Still facing SODs and getting very annoying now. I don't know why you would recommend using wake lock because that doesn't resolve the issue, and drains battery. Development need to work on this, and atleast provide us with some information

We've provided all of the information we know. I even provided as much detail as I could about the device configuration I run (installed apps, modem, a few other settings) which is SoD-free for me. The storage switch caused SoDs to spike for some people - those who had SoDs start with the 6/3/2012 nightly that didn't have them before all seem to be OK after wiping.

Some people had SoDs due to the old wifi driver which sucked ass. It was the only SoD I've ever had that wasn't attributable to RCU stalls.

Beyond that - if anyone who has done a wipe is STILL plagued with SoDs, I have no clue why. The problem is that XplodWILD and I *cannot reproduce the problem* - both of our devices are *rock solid stable* - I haven't even had an RCU stall SoD in 2-3 weeks.

One or two people mentioned using some sort of timer app causing SoDs for them - so I'll try using Alarm Clock Plus on my Note in addition to my Tab 10.1 for a few days to see if it makes a difference and causes any issues.

Beyond that, we're basically shooting in the dark as far as attempts to fix this. The fact that it is not a traditional SoD (where the device enters suspend and never comes back) but a somewhat different one (device enters suspend and then resumes into la-la-land) makes it really difficult to debug - because in 90% of the logs people have posted, activity after the trigger event has caused all of the information about the event itself to get dropped from the log.

Right now the only things I can think of are to try and pull the GPIO configurations in from the N7000 sources - they looked identical (just formatted/reordered differently) on first review, but there might be a change hidden in there.

Beyond providing a complete summary of my personal configuration ( a few pages back) including what apps I'm running, which modem I'm running, even my SetCPU settings (which actually might cause SoDs for some people, so be wary of those), there's little more I can do than randomly try and pull stuff in from the N7000 release and hope it fixes the few people who are still having issues.

I've never recommended wake lock myself - it's a poor workaround. Neither has xplodwild or any other developer.

Right now, and these are wild guesses:
If you use any app that automatically enables/disables wifi, don't. Leave wifi on, it uses less power for background syncing than mobile data anyway.
Similarly, set "Keep wifi on during sleep" to "Always"

This is about the only thing I can think of that wasn't in my post a page or two back with my full configuration info. With the above wifi settings, I get around 0.5%/hour battery drain when connected to a wifi network at home and no SoDs for 2-3 weeks.

And obviously - dealing with the fact that our device has defective flash memory that can suffer damage which is currently unrecoverable by anyone outside of Samsung has taken priority.

After using CM9 pretty much since its release, I've gotten my first ever SoD's this week. After testomg, I've found I ONLY get them when using custom governors such as smartassv2, pegasusq and lulzactive - ondemand and the other stock ones run just fine.

Just my 2¢.

Custom kernels are not supported here. pegasusq is not included in the kernel (it's quadcore-optimized), lulzactive will never be included because tegrak loves to violate the GPL, and smartassv2 is included as a module for a reason - putting it in and not using it causes all sorts of stability problems. Therefore you are clearly using a custom kernel.

As to today's nightly bombing in Jenkins - if it happens again I'll take a look at it. The error was REALLY weird and makes me suspect Jenkins glitched out. (Especially since the Note tree itself hasn't been touched in 2-3 days due to me being out of town.)

Last edited:

emprize

Jan 15, 2007
I got a second delay when i turn on the screen, is it my problem or cm9?

And would like to know if i can turn on or do we have screen on animation?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app

emprize

Jan 15, 2007
My bad, i cant find it in this thread, i tried the keyword "screen on", "turn on", "crt".... It would be appreciate if u can provide me the keyword

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
In your own words "pay attention to the words I use." I already know what an SOD is, I already know people are being affected by this situation, I already know about the wake lock (and yes I am using it) and I said that is not the solution it is just a work around, it causes battery drain and just another app taking up memory. I already know about SetCPU parameters that are reasonable. I am merely saying the devs should atleast tell us more information on this and this should the a top priority to resolve because if the phone keeps freezing and shutting off, what's the point? And I know they have mentioned it in known issues and they have also mentioned that a format and full wipe fixes it. Nightlies are being released daily, but this problem hasn't been resolved for about a week now. It has not for me, and a lot of other users. SOD shouldn't be happening, especially with released sources.

A) The devs don't owe you anything. CM9 is free.

B) Do you honestly think they're not trying to work out what's going on and fix it?

Edit: C) See Entropy's post above.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

You were beaten to the punch :)

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27198900&postcount=5529

Article source with better links is here: http://liliputing.com/2012/06/android-is-about-to-get-a-lot-faster-thanks-to-linaro.html

This does show one downside of a "universal" OS like Android, optimisation becomes a big task as it's very hard to optimise in such a way that the changes are reflected in all of the supported platforms without breaking things (See their "known issues" list), or by doing platform-specific tweaking which is very laborious, and again, could potentially break other platforms. By rights, the OEMs should be doing this sort of thing while they're pissing around putting their CPU-draining skins onto the system, but they obviously either can't be bothered, or just don't think the time\money spent is worth the outcome.

Pretty cool that some of the generic stuff is being backported though!

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

My bad, i cant find it in this thread, i tried the keyword "screen on", "turn on", "crt".... It would be appreciate if u can provide me the keyword

Try "delay"

Last edited:

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
I'm semi-back after my weekend, but totally sleep deprived...
That seems to be a major cause - it would be why there has been a major spike in SoDs since the storage switch happened. It seems to be:
1) Some people had SoDs with the old wifi driver - not surprising, the old I9100 Update4 wifi driver was ****. Most of these people had them disappear when we went to the N7000 wifi driver/MMC driver.
2) A bunch of people were SoD free until the storage switch - nearly everyone who saw a spike in SoDs after 6/3 have had them go away if they did a wipe/factory reset. My guess is they had some app that was misbehaving.

Totally true, as for me personal. But - others, who did all the changes, including wipes and all, still suffering SOD's - could it be another rev of emmc/controller, which not lives in peace with a new drivers?

Right now the only things I can think of are to try and pull the GPIO configurations in from the N7000 sources - they looked identical (just formatted/reordered differently) on first review, but there might be a change hidden in there.

Doesn't it make sense to pull all possible configs from N7000 sources, or is something better/more stable in I9100 sources? Just asking.

Right now, and these are wild guesses:
If you use any app that automatically enables/disables wifi, don't.

100% true for a latest bilds, it messes the system. Just did a small test yesterday, it's conflicting with system_ui and system power management policy.

Leave wifi on, it uses less power for background syncing than mobile data anyway.
Similarly, set "Keep wifi on during sleep" to "Always"

Having battery drain on wi-fi on, I have no choice, but to agree with you on a bad router/network issue or this bt-amp thing...Btw, have you read my post about this?

And obviously - dealing with the fact that our device has defective flash memory that can suffer damage which is currently unrecoverable by anyone outside of Samsung has taken priority.

And it can be major contributing factor to all SOD's...

Thanks for your work.

Last edited:

Dryfit.linux

Dec 21, 2011
Using 09 version. Did a full wipe and format of internal sd twice. Already did IT for external put there The zip file. And no SOD for a day now.

IT is exactly The Same as i did before but now IT works.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

droiduser

Jul 15, 2009
I still get sods with the latest update and I did full wipe ....so I went back to 01/06 anything after that is sod for me...

I have the same issue... Never had any SOD before and started with the prior to nightly releases.
CM9 makes the Note so much better!
Still noticed the other day I'm getting blue video for the realtime face effects, still being worked on i guess? Smurf look is fine...

Last edited:

willwmj

Sep 2, 2007
Today, i try to install SamsungTTS.apk which comes from ICS official stock rom, also copy lang_SMT into system.

y, cm9 can install the apk but cannot use it.

Any future version will support SamsungTTS?

thanks

npras42

Nov 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hey guys,

I was thinking of switching back to CM9. Last time I had a few reservations - I actually missed some of the Samsung stuff.

Anyway, I know there are TW dependencies for most Samsung features but I wondered if anyone knew whether any, none or all of the following apps had TW dependencies so I couldn't just back them up with Titanium and take them with me?

Contacts
Phone
Polaris Office
Email app
Clock app

I wont get a chance to try it until Tuesday night, but I will probably give them a go anyway to see what sticks! Unless someone can categorically tell me none of them will work. I think I've tried Email before and it worked fine. I think the clock app is second most important.

Kind Regards,
Neil

Dryfit.linux

Dec 21, 2011
Using 09 version. Did a full wipe and format of internal sd twice. Already did IT for external put there The zip file. And no SOD for a day now.

IT is exactly The Same as i did before but now IT works.

Having SOD again. I am at work now and i always turn off wifi at work. That is only difference from my home sittuation. And when i drive i use bleutooth. Turn it on when i go and turn wifi and bleutooth off when i arrive at work.

Top Liked Posts