Going back to stock with Flashboot fails for weird reasons

Search This thread

Kuroigetsu

Feb 4, 2014
Hello,

First post here because I need help. Lately, I've been using my Xperia M (C1095) with CM11 Beta 1 and everything was fine. Like, really fine, no problem whatsoever coming from the ROM. But then, for no apparent reason, my phone refused to reboot today. Well, maybe playing with Xposed was the cause, but that would be weird considering it rebooted just fine after I was done with it. It just kept stuck on the Sony logo, but I could still access CWM. ADB is working fine, Fastboot is working fine, and I can mount everything in CWM. No hardbrick here.

After a couple of attempts to flash CM11 again (I ended up with a Status 7, some symlinks failed all the time), I decided to redo things from scratch by flashing the stock 4.1.2 ftf file for my device with Flashtool. Everything went fine, until... this.

04/037/2014 10:37:41 - INFO - <- This level is successfully initialized
04/037/2014 10:37:41 - INFO - Flashtool Version 0.9.13.0 built on 2013-06-04 22:50:00
04/037/2014 10:37:46 - INFO - Device disconnected
04/024/2014 09:24:59 - INFO - Selected C1905 / 15.1.C.2.8 / CE
04/037/2014 10:37:48 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing
04/037/2014 10:37:54 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode.
04/038/2014 10:38:04 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
04/038/2014 10:38:04 - INFO - Opening device for R/W
04/038/2014 10:38:04 - INFO - Reading device information
04/038/2014 10:38:05 - INFO - Phone ready for flashmode operations.
04/038/2014 10:38:05 - INFO - Current device : Unknown: Aug 22 2013/01:15:50 - YT910B0LQG - Unknown: Aug 22 2013/01:15:50 - Unknown: Aug 22 2013/01:15:50 - Unknown: Aug 22 2013/01:15:50
04/038/2014 10:38:05 - INFO - Start Flashing
04/038/2014 10:38:05 - INFO - Processing loader.sin
04/038/2014 10:38:05 - INFO - Checking header
04/038/2014 10:38:05 - INFO - Flashing data
04/038/2014 10:38:05 - INFO - Loader : S1_Root_dbe9 - Version : loader_MSM8X30_10 / Boot version : S1_Boot_MSM_8227_5 / Bootloader status : ROOTED
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - INFO - Processing partition-image.sin
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - INFO - Checking header
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - INFO - Flashing data
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - INFO - Processing kernel.sin
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - INFO - Checking header
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - INFO - Flashing data
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - INFO - Ending flash session
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - ERROR - ERR_SEVERITY="MINOR";ERR_CODE="0017";ERR_DYNAMIC="0x8020001C ";
04/038/2014 10:38:06 - ERROR - Error flashing. Aborted
04/038/2014 10:38:07 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
04/038/2014 10:38:07 - INFO - Device disconnected

Yeaaaah. So I thought maybe it came from my PC (I'm running Windows 8.1), so I tried to use another one. Then another one. All of them ended up getting the same error. I was surprised, because Flashtool used to work fine with my Xperia M.

I also tried with another ftf file, and the same result kept popping up.

The good thing is, I still have access to CWM, so is there something I can do with it?

EDIT : Little update here, my phone is actually still in the same state as before. I thought we had repaired it... well, nope.

The main thing is, my device can boot into Android (CyanogenMod 11), but it's apparently hard locked in read only mode. If you uninstall an app then reboot it, the app will be back. If you touch anything in /system, for example uninstalling/reinstalling BusyBox, no changes at all after reboot. That also explains why you can't wipe the device through CWM or ADB or even Flashtool. And even if I wanted to brick it, I couldn't.

So yeah. In a way, my phone is Schrödinger's cat. Completly unusable due to its weird behaviour and unexpected reboots, but alsol completly alive.

If anybody is skilled enough to find a solution other than destroying the phone discretly and trying to send it back to Sony, that would be great - although I'm not expecting much.

Last edited:

rizki_ananda

Nov 23, 2013
UPDATE: A dear friend of mine did quite a... lot of things... in adb shell and actually managed to solve the issue. Apparently, it was a conflict between Flashtool's operations, CM11, and Xposed. The latter caused issues with the /system partition, causing all sorts of annoyances. But now, everything's back to normal, so, yeah... guess I'll leave this here. If you happen to have my problem, sorry, I haven't got much of a solution for you.

Hello,

First post here because I need help. Lately, I've been using my Xperia M (C1095) with CM11 Beta 1 and everything was fine. Like, really fine, no problem whatsoever coming from the ROM. But then, for no apparent reason, my phone refused to reboot today. Well, maybe playing with Xposed was the cause, but that would be weird considering it rebooted just fine after I was done with it. It just kept stuck on the Sony logo, but I could still access CWM. ADB is working fine, Fastboot is working fine, and I can mount everything in CWM. No hardbrick here.

After a couple of attempts to flash CM11 again (I ended up with a Status 7, some symlinks failed all the time), I decided to redo things from scratch by flashing the stock 4.1.2 ftf file for my device with Flashtool. Everything went fine, until... this.

Yeaaaah. So I thought maybe it came from my PC (I'm running Windows 8.1), so I tried to use another one. Then another one. All of them ended up getting the same error. I was surprised, because Flashtool used to work fine with my Xperia M.

I also tried with another ftf file, and the same result kept popping up.

The good thing is, I still have access to CWM, so is there something I can do with it?

Update: when I try to restore /system with a Nandroid backup, the phone ends up rebooting. So maybe it comes from there. Also, my eMMC chip is definitely working, so it's not a hardware issue (?).
Update 2: after another attempt, I even got a clear "error while restoring /system!" message, but I think it comes from the backup.
Update 3: something weird happened. After I left the phone idle on the Sony screen for a while, it rebooted. Apparently my backup was restored, but it crashed (?) a few seconds later.
Update 4: Okay, so it *does* take an insane amount of time to CM11 to boot up, which is definitely a bug. Also, whenever I use the physical buttons, the ROM crash. CM issue or not, that is yet to find out. But what is bothering me here is the fact that Flashtool definitely won't let me go back to stock ROM, and I don't think there is another way. I really need help on that part.

Update 5: So apparently I can use "format system" in CWM. So we have that.
i have the same problem you had, and now i dont know what to do :crying:

Kuroigetsu

Feb 4, 2014
i have the same problem you had, and now i dont know what to do :crying:

Little update here, my phone is actually still in the same state as before. I thought we had repaired it... well, nope.

The main thing is, my device can boot into Android (CyanogenMod 11), but it's apparently hard locked in read only mode. If you uninstall an app then reboot it, the app will be back. If you touch anything in /system, for example uninstalling/reinstalling BusyBox, no changes at all after reboot. That also explains why you can't wipe the device through CWM or ADB or even Flashtool. And even if I wanted to brick it, I couldn't.

So yeah. In a way, my phone is Schrödinger's cat. Completly unusable due to its weird behaviour and unexpected reboots, but alsol completly alive.

If anybody is skilled enough to find a solution other than destroying the phone discretly and trying to send it back to Sony, that would be great - although I'm not expecting much.

Mysteryagr

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Aug 16, 2012
Cairo
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Have you tried to wipe with different version of cwm?
Maybe from another custom kernel?
-
Sound like this problem is common between users.
I won't unlock my bootloader!

Sent from my C2005 using xda app-developers app

Kuroigetsu

Feb 4, 2014
Have you tried to wipe with different version of cwm?
Maybe from another custom kernel?
-
Sound like this problem is common between users.
I won't unlock my bootloader!

Sent from my C2005 using xda app-developers app

The thing is, you just can't change CWM or even try to flash another kernel. Changes are not registered by the device. I even tried to HotBoot a kernel via Flashtool, no success. The problem must lie in some sort of read/write permission gone wrong, but how to fix that, I wonder...

Don't worry for your device though, it only happened to me because I messed too much with mine (installed CM11, then Xposed, and I guess the two of them didn't go along that well), but yeah that teached me a good lesson.

ansebovi

The thing is, you just can't change CWM or even try to flash another kernel. Changes are not registered by the device. I even tried to HotBoot a kernel via Flashtool, no success. The problem must lie in some sort of read/write permission gone wrong, but how to fix that, I wonder...

Don't worry for your device though, it only happened to me because I messed too much with mine (installed CM11, then Xposed, and I guess the two of them didn't go along that well), but yeah that teached me a good lesson.

if u think bcoz of xposed...then in cwm go and flash zip in sdcard0/0/xposed disabler.zip
xposed running fine on all kitkat...maybe u installed a module that creates the problem..

Kuroigetsu

Feb 4, 2014
if u think bcoz of xposed...then in cwm go and flash zip in sdcard0/0/xposed disabler.zip
xposed running fine on all kitkat...maybe u installed a module that creates the problem..

Yeah, I know exactly which module may be causing the trouble. And I already tried to flash that zip, with absolutely no success because of the read/write bug.

giridhargp

Nov 11, 2013
bangalore
Can I tell you something, even I had same problem,if scroll down q&a section you will get my qstn.

Here is what I did.just change cable,download ftf again if you have another computer, use that. I think problem will go.

Sent from my C1905 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Kuroigetsu

Feb 4, 2014
Can I tell you something, even I had same problem,if scroll down q&a section you will get my qstn.

Here is what I did.just change cable,download ftf again if you have another computer, use that. I think problem will go.

Sent from my C1905 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Already tried that too, with five different computers and all the cables I could get my hands on. The problem is not that easy to solve, trust me.

Unfortunately I can't change the title of this thread, because it really isn't that much of a Flashtool issue, it's more a Xposed/broken write permissions thing.

Antrikos48

Oct 18, 2013
Nicosia
Already tried that too, with five different computers and all the cables I could get my hands on. The problem is not that easy to solve, trust me.

Unfortunately I can't change the title of this thread, because it really isn't that much of a Flashtool issue, it's more a Xposed/broken write permissions thing.

Out of curiosity, what module is causing the issues? I'm sure the dev would be really interested on the bug

This message was brought to you from my Sony Xperia M C1905 using Tapatalk.

Kuroigetsu

Feb 4, 2014
Out of curiosity, what module is causing the issues? I'm sure the dev would be really interested on the bug

The only modules I'm using are Lockscreen Wallpapers and Tinted Status Bar. I uninstalled Status Bar before the device became what is it now, but I think it was the cause of all this chaos.

By the way, I retried using Xposed Disabler, no changes at all. A few times I managed to bring up the "you need to wipe your device because of system errors" from CyanogenMod, but everytime I try to go further it ends up crashing. Most of the time it just doesn't do anything.

Reactions: fedearg

lanthrax

Nov 13, 2013
Toronto
Exact same problem

I have the exact same problem. Expect this happened to me yesterday. I was using memory swap from the forums for almost a week. I was running FXP 18. Any suggestions on what to do?

I have tried flashing other recoveries. Nothing works. Why? any explanations?

Reactions: fedearg

theperson333

Nov 25, 2012
To anyone facing the problem. Please run this command in your shell and post the output here. Alternatively you can pm, but it contains no personal information. It dumps the CSD register.

Code:
cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/csd

The 4th to last character is the one of interest.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The only modules I'm using are Lockscreen Wallpapers and Tinted Status Bar. I uninstalled Status Bar before the device became what is it now, but I think it was the cause of all this chaos.

By the way, I retried using Xposed Disabler, no changes at all. A few times I managed to bring up the "you need to wipe your device because of system errors" from CyanogenMod, but everytime I try to go further it ends up crashing. Most of the time it just doesn't do anything.
    Exact same problem

I have the exact same problem. Expect this happened to me yesterday. I was using memory swap from the forums for almost a week. I was running FXP 18. Any suggestions on what to do?

I have tried flashing other recoveries. Nothing works. Why? any explanations?