[Android 2.1+] GPS Monitor Free 1.0

Search This thread

dragonro

Oct 29, 2008
IDF
Hello everyone.

Free GPS signal monitoring tool.
The application is called GPS Monitor Free by Illyrium & can be found and downloaded freely from the market.
GPS Monitor Free

The application is also available with a BUNCH OF EXTRA FEATURES as Premium, GPS Monitor Premium

What the app does - it activates itself as soon as GPS is in use and deactivates when GPS is no longer in use.
While GPS is in use, the app shows a notification icon that can be customized to show sats in view, sats in fix The app can be configured to show more types of location details in the notification, including a complete custom mode showing lon,lat,speed,accuracy,gps time, sats in view/ sats in fix.
UP TO 3 NOTIFICATION ICONS visible in the same time showing satellites in view/fix, accuracy of the fix, current speed.

Premium features: customize various audio notifications on events like gps on, gps off, fix, lost fix;
GPS Keepalive function for a period of time after GPS receiver is no longer in use.
A list with active applications currently using the GPS receiver.
Ability to choose and change the NTP server to help the GPS get a faster fix (root needed).
Full list of internation NTP server added.
Pro version supports now external plugins.

New GPS tools added in premium version - user can do a full reset of the GPS:
* Reset GPS - clean XTRA data
* Inject GPS Time from NTP server
* Re-download XTRA data and inject it

Widget allowing to quickly Reset GPS,Inject NTP time and download & inject XTRA.
Quickly resetting the GPS without launching an external app comes handy to a lot of users when the GPS receiver takes too long to lock on satellites.

&& a lot more features in development right now.

If you have any ideas, you are more than welcome to share them with me and I'll try to implement them as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT
I need volunteers for translations in Spanish, Italian, German & any other possible language. In exchange I offer the GPS Monitor Premium for free, and access to all beta versions of the app and Plugins
Project can be translated here:
http://crowdin.net/project/gps-monitor
(link is expired - crowdin is nice but too expensive for a project that small, please contact me directly if you would like to help with translations)

In progress
GPS Plugins in development
Normal/Conservative feature development abandoned since disabling GPS is not possible on all ROMs.

Update
1.1.0.38 premium
- Increased stability
- Keepalive can be activated up to 24 Hours
- Keepalive notification can be toggled from the menu

1.1.0.30 premium & free
- increased notification icon precision (5,10,15,20,25, 50, 100)
- Custom notification (Dashboard) is visible on both white and black android theme

1.1.0.28 premium
- MULTIPLE NOTIFICATION ICONS SUPPORT (1 main + 2 extra)
- Options to customise second and third notification icon
- Extra notification icon can show
* satelittes
* accuracy
* speed
- Icons optimised - smaller apk

1.1.0.27 free & premium changes
- increased stability of the service
- fixed crashes of the service on some devices
- added Share by mail, social networks, etc.. in the main application menu

1.0.9 free
- Notification icon can now show speed and accuracy
- Address is resolved in idle mode (if internet connection available)
- French translation added.
- bug-fixes

1.1.0.24 premium
- Fixed BusyBox detection - no more FC on GPS Tools tab
- Improved gps config file editing method
- Added new GPS Tools
* Reset GPS Data (Clear XTRA)
* Download XTRA data
- Added Widget allowing the user to quickly reset GPS Data, Injecting NTP time and re-downloading XTRA data if available

1.0.9 premium
- Increased stability
- Tools GPS tab added
Ability to configure custom GPS NTP server (root required)
Full international NTP servers list added into the app
- Notification icon can now show SPEED
- External plugin support added (plugins coming soon)
- bug-fixes

1.0.7 Internal engine completely rewritten - increased stability;List preferences selection bug fix.
Pro: Experimental GPS Keepalive functionality added.

1.0.6 Major Update. All icons changes. Bugs fixed.

1.0.5 FIXED looping GPS interfacing bug on some devices (hopefully this applies or all or most of the existing devices)
Fixed latitude/longitude conversion.

1.0.4 Stabilized passive location info functions.
Getting location data (lat/lng, accuracy, addr) is faster & optimized. Fixed crashes/GPS restarting bug on some devices.

1.0.3 App updated.
Now functions on android >=1.6;
A bunch of new features added & preferences. Use can choose what the notification icon displays.
Latitude & longitude are correctly displayed now.

1.0.2 Application updated.
All notification icons changed, only locked satellites are now displayed, and latitude/longitude as soon as they are available.

1.0.1 I have updated the application and fixed some bugs.
Fixed GPS left in use bug after closing on some devices. GPS Icon reaction improved.
The application uses now a lot less resources.

Cheers,
Adrian (Illyrium)

Last edited:

DMD9

Oct 20, 2010
Hello everyone.

The application is called GPS Monitor Free by Illyrium & can be found and downloaded freely from the market.

What the app does - it activates itself as soon as GPS is in use and deactivates when GPS is no longer in use. While GPS is in use, the app shows a notification icon with the satellites in view. For the moment this is all that the app does, but I am working to add some other features to it.

The app is free for the moment - and will be free (even the pro version) for everyone that helps me my sending me bugs/features.

If you have any ideas, you are more than welcome to send them to me an I will try to implement them as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Adrian (Illyrium)

Nice app, nice to be able to see how many sattelites I'm connected to right in the status bar, beats having to open a seperate app to check :)

countblack

Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

Installed on my DHD with CM7 and it works perfectly. I really like the little notification telling you that service is actually switched on and off when you open and close apps, does this show that my GPS unit is actively seeking sats or just your service? I need to have a test on the open road as i am sat in the office at the moment and can only see 1 sat. I'll have a look and see if i am getting much drain.

Personally, my suggestion would be to have a option to have a timeout on the notification icon and keep the info in the drag down drawer as it is at the moment. I don't really need to know that GPS is active but i often find myself wondering if i have a good fix when Maps has me driving in the sea.

fenneberg

Aug 6, 2008
On Garmin-Asus A50 it works ok, exept u get a notice "GPS position changed" wich notice will not go away.

smolam

Mar 7, 2009
Bratislava
number of fixed sats instead of sats i can see

Hi,

I think that number of fixed Sats gives better information than number of sats i can see. I am currently using GPS Status program to see how many sats are fixed when i am using GPS program without feature that can show fixed sats. Your program with notification in the bar will be definitively better alternative.

tllippert

Jun 24, 2010
Havana, IL
I just installed the app and so far it's working ok... I like knowing how many satellites are locked in.. I believe this is an app that has been needed for some time.. I'll be interested to see how much battery it uses.. I'll be looking forward to more updates..

Edit: my phone info.. Droid X running Liberty v .8

Last edited:

schrej

Oct 11, 2007
Hi,
nice app. Thanks.
But logo in taskbar ist hard to read (grey/green). Not enough contrast.
Maybee you can change logo for better readability.

Thanks schrej

MadGoat

Apr 3, 2011
Hi,
nice app. Thanks.
But logo in taskbar ist hard to read (grey/green). Not enough contrast.
Maybee you can change logo for better readability.

Thanks schrej

agree, was going to get on and suggest this exactly...

little hard to read/see.

maybe just a black background?

however, a great utility! THANKS!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.

GPS Monitor Free

The application is also available with a BUNCH OF EXTRA FEATURES as Premium, GPS Monitor Premium

What the app does - it activates itself as soon as GPS is in use and deactivates when GPS is no longer in use.
    While GPS is in use, the app shows a notification icon that can be customized to show sats in view, sats in fix The app can be configured to show more types of location details in the notification, including a complete custom mode showing lon,lat,speed,accuracy,gps time, sats in view/ sats in fix.
    UP TO 3 NOTIFICATION ICONS visible in the same time showing satellites in view/fix, accuracy of the fix, current speed.

Premium features: customize various audio notifications on events like gps on, gps off, fix, lost fix;
    GPS Keepalive function for a period of time after GPS receiver is no longer in use.
    A list with active applications currently using the GPS receiver.
    Ability to choose and change the NTP server to help the GPS get a faster fix (root needed).
    Full list of internation NTP server added.
    Pro version supports now external plugins.

New GPS tools added in premium version - user can do a full reset of the GPS:
    * Reset GPS - clean XTRA data
    * Re-download XTRA data and inject it

Widget allowing to quickly Reset GPS,Inject NTP time and download & inject XTRA.
    Quickly resetting the GPS without launching an external app comes handy to a lot of users when the GPS receiver takes too long to lock on satellites.

&& a lot more features in development right now.

If you have any ideas, you are more than welcome to share them with me and I'll try to implement them as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT
    I need volunteers for translations in Spanish, Italian, German & any other possible language. In exchange I offer the GPS Monitor Premium for free, and access to all beta versions of the app and Plugins
    Project can be translated here:
    http://crowdin.net/project/gps-monitor
    (link is expired - crowdin is nice but too expensive for a project that small, please contact me directly if you would like to help with translations)

In progress
    GPS Plugins in development
    Normal/Conservative feature development abandoned since disabling GPS is not possible on all ROMs.

Update
    1.1.0.38 premium
    - Increased stability
    - Keepalive can be activated up to 24 Hours
    - Keepalive notification can be toggled from the menu

1.1.0.30 premium & free
    - increased notification icon precision (5,10,15,20,25, 50, 100)
    - Custom notification (Dashboard) is visible on both white and black android theme

1.1.0.28 premium
    - MULTIPLE NOTIFICATION ICONS SUPPORT (1 main + 2 extra)
    - Options to customise second and third notification icon
    - Extra notification icon can show
    * satelittes
    * accuracy
    * speed
    - Icons optimised - smaller apk

1.1.0.27 free & premium changes
    - increased stability of the service
    - fixed crashes of the service on some devices
    - added Share by mail, social networks, etc.. in the main application menu

1.0.9 free
    - Notification icon can now show speed and accuracy
    - bug-fixes

1.1.0.24 premium
    - Fixed BusyBox detection - no more FC on GPS Tools tab
    - Improved gps config file editing method
    - Added new GPS Tools
    * Reset GPS Data (Clear XTRA)
    * Download XTRA data
    - Added Widget allowing the user to quickly reset GPS Data, Injecting NTP time and re-downloading XTRA data if available

1.0.9 premium
    - Increased stability
    - Tools GPS tab added
    Ability to configure custom GPS NTP server (root required)
    Full international NTP servers list added into the app
    - Notification icon can now show SPEED
    - External plugin support added (plugins coming soon)
    - bug-fixes

1.0.7 Internal engine completely rewritten - increased stability;List preferences selection bug fix.
    Pro: Experimental GPS Keepalive functionality added.

1.0.6 Major Update. All icons changes. Bugs fixed.

1.0.5 FIXED looping GPS interfacing bug on some devices (hopefully this applies or all or most of the existing devices)
    Fixed latitude/longitude conversion.

1.0.4 Stabilized passive location info functions.
    Getting location data (lat/lng, accuracy, addr) is faster & optimized. Fixed crashes/GPS restarting bug on some devices.

1.0.3 App updated.
    Now functions on android >=1.6;
    A bunch of new features added & preferences. Use can choose what the notification icon displays.
    Latitude & longitude are correctly displayed now.

1.0.2 Application updated.
    All notification icons changed, only locked satellites are now displayed, and latitude/longitude as soon as they are available.

1.0.1 I have updated the application and fixed some bugs.
    Fixed GPS left in use bug after closing on some devices. GPS Icon reaction improved.
    The application uses now a lot less resources.

Cheers,
    Adrian (Illyrium)
    Here the link: GPS Monitor Free

So you don't have to look at +50 pages ;)

Sorry it does'nt activate the GPS on my Desire. GPS was still on :(
    Nice App! Is it possible to change the color according to the status searching for sats = yellow / fix = green?
    This is probably beyond the scope of this application, but could you make an option that instead of displaying the little writing "7 sat in view/ 4 locked" maybe display the location lat and long?

Nexus S works good. Had a hiccup where I was using one GPS app then closed it and GMF closed properly. Used Google maps and closed it and GMF didn't close. Opened google maps and closed then GMF closed.

Thanks for the app.

Just updated the application. Latitude and longitude are displayed now as soon as the phone gets a stable satellite lock.
    Ok, I rechecked the coords and compared them with GPS status on my phone and with my Garmin Oregon 400t.. Latitude is direct on, Longitude is off by approximately 160km (100m) to the west of my location..
    edit: your app was showing 7 sats fixed

I just fixed latitude/longitude conversion on last published version. Give it a try ;)