[Q] Battery Consumption Gear 2 and S4

Search This thread

okrk

Nov 9, 2007
I have had my Gear 2 for about 7 days now and i barely get 24hrs on a single charge.
What are people seeing for battery consumption?
Am i missing something?

I thought it was the newness and that i might have been using a lot so i planned to reset the watch and not use it that much as a test. So yesterday i reinitialized my G2 and reinstalled the Gear Manager on my phone. I planned for a day of limited use. I turned off the screen motion sensor. Then this morning i took the G2 off charge at 8:30am. I checked the time today maybe about 10 times received 2 notifications and at 8:50PM i am at 49% WTF?

This is terrible performance and sadly i am contemplating returning my G2 to best buy and waiting to see what else comes out in later this year. I also can't seem to get notifications to pop up on the screen. I get vibration and beeps but i still have to open the notification section to read the msgs from my messaging app Invi.

The battery is really going to be the deal breaker for me unless someone has some insight to what might be causing this massive drain.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
I've had mine for a little longer than yourself. I have mine hooked up to a note 3 and I have been getting great battery life, in the 3+ days range. I turned off the motion sensor and the battery has gotten even better, sitting at 69% after pulling it off the charger yesterday morning, I am not a heavy user of it however, I use it mainly at work, since I can't have my phone on vibrate, only silence it allows me to know when my phone receives things in a discrete manner. You probably received a defective unit as to the battery life and the notification issues. I would take it back to best buy and trade it for another. My 2 cents.

okrk

Nov 9, 2007
It is now 12:45AM the G2 has been off charge for 16hr 15min and i am at 20% I have only checked the time about 5 times since my original post.
I don't think it will make it to 24hrs.

okrk

Nov 9, 2007
I've had mine for a little longer than yourself. I have mine hooked up to a note 3 and I have been getting great battery life, in the 3+ days range. I turned off the motion sensor and the battery has gotten even better, sitting at 69% after pulling it off the charger yesterday morning, I am not a heavy user of it however, I use it mainly at work, since I can't have my phone on vibrate, only silence it allows me to know when my phone receives things in a discrete manner. You probably received a defective unit as to the battery life and the notification issues. I would take it back to best buy and trade it for another. My 2 cents.

That is the kind of performance i was hoping for.
Maybe i will return it for another but i don't have a good feeling. Maybe it is something related to my S4 and the G2 combination.

jeffnz

Jul 28, 2011
Auckland
Samsung Galaxy S20
You need to remember that although the screen is off its still working. Mine is working fine on S4 and I have everything on and brightest it can go and use it a lot .anything over 24 hours is fine to me. Currently been off charge for 10 hours and still 83%. We all use devices differently so it's either defective or something isn't set right.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

okrk

Nov 9, 2007
You need to remember that although the screen is off its still working. Mine is working fine on S4 and I have everything on and brightest it can go and use it a lot .anything over 24 hours is fine to me. Currently been off charge for 10 hours and still 83%. We all use devices differently so it's either defective or something isn't set right.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

As i stated in my post i refrained from using the G2 aside from checking the time throughout the day. I completely agree with you. The question is what could possibly be set wrong to cause this,

okrk

Nov 9, 2007
When the G2 reached 15% at around 2AM (~17hrs off charge) i turned off the bluetooth on the G2 and after 2 hours it was at 14%. So it seems that it is related to the bluetooth and S4.

Hielko

Feb 27, 2012
Which android version do you run on you your S4?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Hielko

Feb 27, 2012
Could it be the rom version? There are more battery problems reported with roms that are not samsung stock roms. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Apr 27, 2014
i have had my gear 2 for about 7 days now and i barely get 24hrs on a single charge.
What are people seeing for battery consumption?
Am i missing something?

I thought it was the newness and that i might have been using a lot so i planned to reset the watch and not use it that much as a test. So yesterday i reinitialized my g2 and reinstalled the gear manager on my phone. I planned for a day of limited use. I turned off the screen motion sensor. Then this morning i took the g2 off charge at 8:30am. I checked the time today maybe about 10 times received 2 notifications and at 8:50pm i am at 49% wtf?

This is terrible performance and sadly i am contemplating returning my g2 to best buy and waiting to see what else comes out in later this year. I also can't seem to get notifications to pop up on the screen. I get vibration and beeps but i still have to open the notification section to read the msgs from my messaging app invi.

The battery is really going to be the deal breaker for me unless someone has some insight to what might be causing this massive drain.

may be it is a defective one.

primo523

Jun 18, 2011
I am rooted running Hyperdrive Rom (Android 4.3)

I'm on sac's v3 kit kat . Runs great except when downloading apps fails. I went back to stock and apps worked fine. I playing around with different kernels and will post my findings

Sent from my SPH-L720 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

okrk

Nov 9, 2007
I'm on sac's v3 kit kat . Runs great except when downloading apps fails. I went back to stock and apps worked fine. I playing around with different kernels and will post my findings

Sent from my SPH-L720 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

Interesting. Thanks - maybe i'll try KK and see if it changes. Then i can at least determine that the watch is ok.

Aug 23, 2010
No they work with 4.3. My note 3 was 4.3 due to Verizon being slow to update. But the gear worked great with 4.3. Works better with 4.4 though. I see better battery life on both devices, it seems to not drain as much.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

mksudol

Apr 28, 2014
The same

Bought mine a couple of days ago. Wonderful device, however, the battery last for only 1 day. Running with Note II Android 4.3 . If Android 4.4.2 doesn't solve a problem, I'll head for Service. Fortunately, here is Taiwan there is no problem with that.