[HELP] Restoring data, unresponsive touch screen, boot loop.

Search This thread

Avenger2

Jul 16, 2014
Hello, I want to backup my files from my Nexus 4 after the screen broke and the touch screen stopped working. I have tried this method, I unlocked bootloader and flashed CWM recovery but I couldn't pull files (phone wasn't encrypted). I made sure to flash recovery immediately after unlocking bootloader so I don't lose my data. I then wiped cache from CWM but I got stuck in boot loop, so I tried wiping data/factory reset in CWM (it doesn't delete /sdcard/, does it?). From the first time I flashed and got into CWM recovery, I got errors with mounting /data/ and all other folders. I can not install roms or anything through CWM because it can't mount the /data/ or /system/ from the first time I flashed CWM in the bootloader. I am currently following this guide but I don't want to lose my data, it is more important than the phone. What do I do now?

Edit: I tried sideloading CM10.2 stable and stock 4.4.4 mako. Neither got past bootloop. WugFresh's Nexus Toolkit can't backup data without the phone booting. Still no idea what to do next.

Last edited:

sky0165

Mar 10, 2012
can you boot into cwm/TWRP?

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

Well, if you do, connect your phone to the computer and open adb and type

adb devices (if your phone is detected, continue)
adb pull /sdcard C:\backup
adb pull /0/sdcard C:\backup

Avenger2

Jul 16, 2014
can you boot into cwm/TWRP?

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

Well, if you do, connect your phone to the computer and open adb and type

adb devices (if your phone is detected, continue)
adb pull /sdcard C:\backup
adb pull /0/sdcard C:\backup

It doesn't pull, says 0 files pulled.

sky0165

Mar 10, 2012
Well, i think your sdcard was erased then... or you can try to pull folder by folder, but i think using /sdcard it would pull everything from the device.

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
You erased all the data on your device when you unlocked the bootloader.

Might as well just flash stock image now, you don't have to erase any data when doing so, (although yours is probably wiped from unlock bootloader)

Last edited:

Avenger2

Jul 16, 2014
Well, i think your sdcard was erased then... or you can try to pull folder by folder, but i think using /sdcard it would pull everything from the device.

You erased all the data on your device when you unlocked the bootloader.

Might as well just flash stock image now, you don't have to erase any data when doing so, (although yours is probably wiped from unlock bootloader)

I'm pretty sure the data wasn't erased because I immediately flashed CWM after unlocking the bootloader without rebooting, then I wiped cache so it doesn't erase my data on phone start, as pointed out here by the guide I used: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=41291371&postcount=28

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
It'll work just fine. Doesn't matter if you're 4.2.2 or 4.4.4. Also, if you unlocked your bootloader you did wipe your device. Even if you installed cwm before rebooting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app