[Q] Killed my Tab 4 (SM-T230NU)

Search This thread

chuman72486

Oct 12, 2011
I was looking to factory reset my Tab 4 7.0 to sell, but since I've rooted it and installed TWRP, the process wasn't as simple as I'd have liked. I tried the standard Factory Reset function of TWRP, but it didn't do anything. I tried Wipe Data, still nothing. Then I did an Advanced Wipe and checked off everything, not realizing one of the options was to wipe /system. Now my Tab 4 keeps rebooting to TWRP, and the recovery also states "No OS is installed".

I'm currently downloading the new NH1 firmware from SamMobile and considering flashing it through Odin 3.09. Would this be the most effective method, considering I had no prior backup made to the tablet? Will this likely remove my root access and custom recovery? Is there a chance of tripping something like a Knox counter and bricking my device (happened once when I tried an old method to root my Note 3, Knox blocked part of the flash and left the system halfway between two OS images)

cindylike24

Sep 26, 2008
Vincennes, IN
Sounds like you're on the right track with downloading the firmware off of SamMobile. I had a similar issue with my Galaxy Tab 2 and that got my tablet out of its funk.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

chuman72486

Oct 12, 2011
At this point I've tried all the ROMs listed on SamMobile for my tablet and all fail to completely flash. Odin says it was fully successful, but when the tablet tries to boot, I only hear half the boot sound and then the boot animation just sits there saying Samsung with the little blue dots popping out of it, and that's it.
Are there any other types of ROMs I can flash to this system? Does it matter what version of Odin I'm using? (Tried 3.06 and 3.09, both unsuccessful)

trazfer

Aug 1, 2013
Philippines
At this point I've tried all the ROMs listed on SamMobile for my tablet and all fail to completely flash. Odin says it was fully successful, but when the tablet tries to boot, I only hear half the boot sound and then the boot animation just sits there saying Samsung with the little blue dots popping out of it, and that's it.
Are there any other types of ROMs I can flash to this system? Does it matter what version of Odin I'm using? (Tried 3.06 and 3.09, both unsuccessful)

hi i have a tab 3 7.0. why dont you try using odin 3.07 if that fails try emergency firmware recovery in kies. odin flashing of official firmware does not increase binary counter as stated by sammy tech support. but you flashing twrp does increase binary count. hope i helped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

devdude

Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
At this point I've tried all the ROMs listed on SamMobile for my tablet and all fail to comCellular allsh. Odin says it was fully successful, but when the taalso tries to boot, I only hear half the boot sound and then the boot animation just sits there saying Samsung with the little blue dots popping out of it, and that's it.

I have successfully flashed ND9 and N2E firmwares with Odin 3.07. The NH1 firmware is corrupt when I download it. These are the Cellular South versions which I assume are the US firmwares. I did also flash the Canada versions and I couldn't tell them apart. Currently on ND9 firmware so I could get it rooted. I only have the WiFi 230NU.

Zestar

Jan 12, 2012

this question may sound silly but have you tried to wipe data/cache after full odin firmware install?

I believe i was able to keep all my apps and data after full firmware upgrade using odin, so it isnt doing full wipe after all.

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER
I rooted and installed TWRP on this device and decided I wanted to get the SM-T330NU instead. I returned the T230 and the clerk tried to factory reset the device and it booted up into TWRP - the clerk made the comment "What in the world" but did not say anything. I had tried to factory reset it before returning and it would not work either.

Last edited:
I rooted and installed TWRP on this device and decided I wanted to get the SM-T330NU instead. I returned the T230 and the clerk tried to factory reset the device and it booted up into TWRP - the clerk made the comment "What in the world" but did not say anything. I had tried to factory reset it before returning and it would not work either.

If you power off the device and then boot up into download mode, connect the usb to your pc and run odin you can flash the factory stock image to the device using odin and that will reset the device to stock. Replacing TWRP with the factory recovery image and everything else. You can download the stock files for the device either by searching these forums or going to sammobile. Try starting with the oldest version available and update from there. I rooted and unrooted the SM-T230NU several times using this method and had no issues. Be patient. Allow the device 5 minutes to boot up after flashing the stock. Make sure the device has 80% charge or better before starting. Leave the device connected to the PC with odin open until you see a message in odin that reads, "passed".

Last edited:

thelous

Dec 14, 2012
I was looking to factory reset my Tab 4 7.0 to sell, but since I've rooted it and installed TWRP, the process wasn't as simple as I'd have liked. I tried the standard Factory Reset function of TWRP, but it didn't do anything. I tried Wipe Data, still nothing. Then I did an Advanced Wipe and checked off everything, not realizing one of the options was to wipe /system. Now my Tab 4 keeps rebooting to TWRP, and the recovery also states "No OS is installed".

I'm currently downloading the new NH1 firmware from SamMobile and considering flashing it through Odin 3.09. Would this be the most effective method, considering I had no prior backup made to the tablet? Will this likely remove my root access and custom recovery? Is there a chance of tripping something like a Knox counter and bricking my device (happened once when I tried an old method to root my Note 3, Knox blocked part of the flash and left the system halfway between two OS images)

Just install deodexed rom from twrp

Skizzlle

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think sm-t230's have Knox do they? You didn't kill your tablet just flash a stock ROM from sammobile. And you'll be a-OK :D

Sent from my SM-T230 using XDA Free mobile app