Incredible list of 2.6.37.xx kernels

Search This thread

galaara98

Nov 5, 2010
Nampa, ID
I am behind on this OP, I started a business and will fix it up later. Read the post from people to get latest news and opinions..
«»«» «»«» «»«»
I like to jump between kernels. Ok truth be told I jump around builds and 'ROM's all the time too. I test govenors and lockup my phone with OCing all the time. It's like a quest, except I enjoy the journey instead of looking for a holy grail.

So I wanted to start a thread to get people finding and using the different kernels.

This OP will be living!
Devs CORRECT me! Users Debate what you are seeing: PROVE it! Time it! Measure it! Log It!
Anyone Can PM me to change something if I am wrong, and otherwise correct me right in the thread, so we can get the explanations!

(I wish to point out that: all of these devs have both influence on each other and have done independent work. So becareful in stating who fixed what, etc. But also I hope the kernel devs realize most of the population doesnt understand compiled from source vs compiled from a branch, etc.., nor do we always hear the news of who Really resolved something...and go easy on us if we incorrectly identify the brains behind some hotness.)

To my knowledge there are 7 offshoots of the DInc .37 kernel as of 3/14/2011

I will categorize them by their LAST known contributor.

As of 3/14/2011 these are all AOSP, but this thread will gather stats on them all (emphasis on GB+ though)

Slayher No Official Thread
----------------------------------------------
Official CyanogenMod HTC Incredible contributor. His kernel style and concepts are most likely going to be stability and quality because the CM7 for DInc built in kernels will be his or approved by him. He also codes for other CM7 DInc projects, and has really helped Gingerbread on the Incredible be a possibility!
LATEST SPECS ONLY -
(Dismally missing this info, sorry)
Deadline I/O
CIFS

Ok Slayhers kernels don't number well, because he puts them in CM7, not always in flashable format. I'll try to take some time and open his kernel fork to get a feel for where he stands.

#C 3/2/11 new kernel... I compiled 3/5/11 and it was 2.6.37.2, not sure what other goodies hes done
#D 3/10/11 2.6.37.3 and deadline I/O
======================================================
NEW KERNEL
userjf (Slayher+AudioBoost) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=958651
---------------------------------------------
userjf has done us a favor and is recompiling Slayher's DEFAULT kernel with just AudioBoost, everything else is in theory perfectly stock. If you need some more volume out of your phone give his kernel a whirl.

Specs follow Slayher's + Audio Boost, see his thread for more details (Mostly just a download link, as he doesn't mess with the rest of the kernel, and does have a list of acronyms for me to put here :) )
=============================================================

chad0989 (Incredikernel) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=848453
Chad is the maintainer of the well know Incredikernel, has many 2.6.32.xx updates, and made a thorough investigation into the CWR touchpoint issue, etc. His kernels were generally Sense. Previously he was coordinating with Invisiblek for AOSP kernels.

I used almost all of Chad's sense Kernels before flipping to AOSP build and picking up with Invis. MY OPINION of Chads and Invis kernels: I found their smartass tuning to be impecable for BALANCING wakeup, batterylife, and everyday performance
[But quality of tuning a kernel can make them 'score low' on things like Quadrant, etc. My personal experience and knowledge of kernels (I am a Windows Engineer...but a kernel is a kernel) tell me it is because the tuning is adapting and not focused on perforance... if you want to test performance, use a HAVSless kernel with performance govenor and probably a BFS scheduler because that one just shoots from the hip :)]

LATEST SPECS ONLY - Patched up to 2.6.37.3
Any wake issues should be fixed
Audio boost

http://chad0989.dyndns.org/ 03/06/1...d0989.dyndns.org/sysfsinstructions"]READ THIS
Lowered wifi voltage for increased battery life

If you are a tinkerer and love to tweak your voltages, please PM me the voltage table you settle on as most stable for your phone.

Update on sense: Still working on it. The artifacting issue seems to be more complicated than I originally thought

Fast charging.
Working VPN
SmartAss - you need to set min 128 CPU to get full advantage
Wifi sleep policy fixed
Fixed MultiTouch
Changed to V(R) I/O Scheduler

#6 BETA 2.6.37.2-incredikernel-gb-3062011 [03/06/11] (Has FROYO Version)
#7 2.6.37.3-incredikernel-gb-3132011 [03/13/11] (Has FROYO Version)
=================================================
Invisiblek http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=905873
Invisiblek has probably the most well know 2.6.32 Froyo AOSP kernel. Though this OP is my Opinion, I consider it professional. So without having run the calculations MYSELF, i would still stake that If you searched on AOSP froyo kernel's Invis#28 (FROYO) is probably the most established 2.6.32.x. Any kernel could be created to beat it in a particular category, but it was the best well rounded I have seen for AOSP 2.6.32.xx.

LATEST SPECS ONLY -
invisiblek 2.6.37.2: (still just a modified version of slayher's stock cm kernel.) Changes from stock kernel:
- added smartass governor (max cpu freq on screen off: 384mhz)
- added havs
- fast charge (thanks chad0989!)
- removed debugging options (much smaller kernel size)

#0 2.6.37-nodebug-havs-smartass [Along Time Ago]
#1 invisiblek-2.6.37.2-signed.zip [03/09/11]

Cayniarb (Tiamat Kernel) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=885217
Cayniarb is the well know maintainer of the Tiamat Kernel. I have to admit the only time I used one of his kernels is when he was the other choice for GB that had some backports in it. (told you I like to jump around) I found no issues with it, it ran smooth, had good battery life.
If I had to throw out an OPINION of Cayniarb that i like. If you look at his thread, he is very organized, methotical, and straight up. That is good for the community of users, means he is one to do his homework and release good stuff. He also seems to have no problem pushing the kernel settings and contraints so users have options to lock up their DInc to their hearts content... anyway my thoughts.

Cayniarb likes to list his specs as" rolling information" :) so I can't translate to 100% latest only, because i could be wrong
- cleanup gitub (cayniarb)
- cleanup code (caynairb)
merged updates/changes from CyanogenMod/cm-kernel - brings 2.6.73.2 and various optimizations for GB 2.3.3 (CyanogenMod Team)
[3/2/11][2.6.37.2 CAYNAIRB says 2.6.73.2 but kernel.org disagrees with him :) ]

Version 3.1.5
implement fast charging for non-SBC versions (chad0989)
add dedicated SBC defconfigs (cayniarb)

- completely update HAVS implementation (intersectRaven)
- tweak HAVS for stability particular to each platform (caynairb)
- add support for 128Mhz CPU clock speed (cayniarb)
- enable JESUS_PHONE mode by default - enables more OC levels (caynairb) -- (I do not recommend overclocking beyond 1.19Ghz and I will not support any problems caused by overclocking. Each device is unique and may or may not be able to clock to different frequencies)
- implement custom defconfig (cayniarb)
- support for the HTC Evo 4G and XOOM (cayniarb) {DINC USERS PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DOWNLOAD}
- reapplied custom Tiamat tweaks (caynirb)
•enabled multi-touch support (cayniarb) -- CWM 3.0.0.7 works, 3.0.0.5 and 3.0.0.8 do not

#09 Version 3.1.4 [03/02/11]
#10 Version 3.1.5 [03/05/11]
===========================================

bbedward (Savaged Zen-Inc) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=938790 - PAGE 11

bbedward seems to have picked up the Savaged Zen kernel from 2.6.32.xx I never used the old kernel. Ok He has his latest in his OP (so don't use the page 11 one). FROYO Kernel Available (at this time it is SBC)

LATEST SPECS ONLY -
- HAVS
- BFS + 2.6.37-ck1 - THIS IS CHOOSE-ABLE VIA WHICH DOWNLOAD YOU CHOOSE
- SBC - THIS IS CHOOSE-ABLE VIA WHICH DOWNLOAD YOU CHOOSE
- SLQB Slab Allocator
- MM Preempt 2.6.37 patchset
- Deactivate Pages 2.6.37 patchset
- I/O Less Dirty Throttling 2.6.37 patchset
- Smartass+Savaged-Zen governors
- Tweaked conservative+ondemand governors
- Fixes from CodeAurora
- Tweaks from IntersectRaven
- Froyo compatible build option
- BFS and memory tweaks
- ZRAM Support (new name for compcache/ramzswap)

#1 2.6.37 Savaged-Zen-INC v0.0.1 (CFS/BFS+AVS+SBC+HAVS) - Page 11
#2 2.6.37 Savaged-Zen-INC v0.0.1 (STILL 0.0.1, but now in the OP with updates..please consider this one the most current)
============================================

NEW KERNEL
mwielgosz (Savaged-Zen-INC noSBC) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=976580
We have been graced with a new kernel. mwielgosz picks up with a dedicated thread for NOSBC Savaged-Zen
I have not given it a whirl because of RC2 and all my hacking i do for my own comforts, i "got" to redo..., so without further ado:

LATEST SPECS ONLY -
BFS OR CFS
- HAVS
- SLQB Slab Allocator
- Fixes from CodeAurora
- BFS and memory tweaks

Watch your downloads! The download page has multiple devices, dont screw up!
#1 Savaged-Zen-INC [2.6.37] noSBC [03/02/11]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kernel Devs I haven't seen, please keep me posted if they popup with a kernel

HeyItsLou
Ziggy
KiNgxKernel
Hydra-kernel
Adrynalyne

Others

Last edited:

galaara98

Nov 5, 2010
Nampa, ID
I would like to start gathering Kernel Terms here. Please post the definitions of the most common and not so common Terms or Questions you hear out in the wild and I'll put them in the "Second Post"

=============== TO DO Answer What are advantages of this thing over that... ============
--------------------------------
CPU SCHEDULERS
O(1) scheduler - Outdated by the CFS Scheduler
Completely Fair Scheduler (CFS)
++++++++ WHY I WANT THIS? ++++++++
The Brain **** Scheduler (or BFS)

DISK I/O Schedulers
Budget Fair Queuing IO Scheduler (BFQ)
Completely Fair Queuing (CFQ)
V(R) I/O Scheduler
Deadline IO
The goal of the Deadline scheduler is to attempt to guarantee a start service time for a request[1]. It does that by imposing a deadline on all I/O operations to prevent starvation of requests. It also maintains two deadline queues, in addition to the sorted queues (both read and write). Deadline queues are basically sorted by their deadline (the expiration time), while the sorted queues are sorted by the sector number.

Before serving the next request, the Deadline scheduler decides which queue to use. Read queues are given a higher priority, because processes usually block on read operations. Next, the Deadline scheduler checks if the first request in the deadline queue has expired. Otherwise, the scheduler serves a batch of requests from the sorted queue. In both cases, the scheduler also serves a batch of requests following the chosen request in the sorted queue.

By default, read requests have an expiration time of 500 ms, write requests expire in 5 seconds.

The kernel docs suggest this is the preferred scheduler for database systems, especially if you have TCQ aware disks, or any system with high disk performance[2].

:cool:

====================================
MODULES YOUR KERNEL MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE (MODULES CAN BE COMPILED INTO KERNEL, or a .ko file)
BCM4329.ko BroadCom One-shot wonder radio chip: BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)
cifs.ko ability to connect directly to Windows computer: Server Message Block (SMB), also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS) mainly used to provide shared access to files, printers, serial ports, and miscellaneous communications between nodes on a network. Most usage of SMB involves computers running Microsoft Windows, where it was known as "Microsoft Windows Network"

IPTABLES - Linux Firewall (if it has DNAT, it can be part of an integral part of a proxy also) Mostly compiled these days, but if you don't have it you can't do IP Firewall like Droidwall.

TUN - Tunneling, generally compiled in, VPN software needs this.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=976580
In that thread I found...
SBC - Superior Battery Charging. Google "trickle charging" for explanation.
HAVS - Hybrid Adaptive Voltage Scheduling. Voltage drops as CPU speed goes down in order to conserve power."

NOTE FROM OP: Is There a negative to HAVS? If so explain? If not why does slayher, who seems to take the time to do a lot of investigation still not include?

=====================================
OC - Over Clock(ing)(ed), using your operating system [Or Motherboard Firmware] to force the CPU or BUS above manufacturer recommendations. I have over-clocked around 100 desktops, and I goof off with my Android all the time in this area.
When you see a Device with a certain Hertz (Hz) or more likely Megahertz (MHz) this is most likely talking about the CPU multiplier Multiplied by the BUS speed (measured in 'heartbeats'... sortof... per second) In general the days of actually changing the the CPU multiplier are gone (AMD used to be able to), so if a device motherboard 'pulses' at 266Mhz and the CPU Multiplier is 3.5, we often say its a 933 Mhz device. Manufacturers build Chips (CPU, GPU, Memory, and I/O bridges (Chipsets) in huge batches. [I grew up 5 miles from Intel in Rio Rancho, New Mexico :) ] They spot check about 10% of the actual chips, and whatever is the maximum heat, volts, etc they can handle, or tolerate, before becoming damaged or unusable: The whole batch is rated at that speed! (This is important because many chips can FAR Exceed that without ANY VOLTAGE increase at ALL, and some can barely meet that at all (Meet the Intel Centrino's CPU's that failed level 1 or 2 Cache checks, disabled the Cache, and sold as cheap and neutered CPUs))

Over Clocking is when the user attempts to exceed the rating they were told the chip could handle: We can increase that by pushing the motherboard to 'beat' faster. The overall effect is the all data is acted upon, move to memory, moved to i/o [like disk or sound], etc faster, the NEGATIVE is CPU, GPU, Memory, or Chipsets often have brownouts: they need more electricity to operate faster. So many motherboards allow you to tweak the POWER to CPU and Memory, even some I/O Chips. The negative of more power is MORE HEAT. So eventually it is IMPOSSIBLE to maintain stability because the heat cause the chips to shut down. Hence high air cooling, and water cooling, and such. So for instance I can push a 2.4Mhz rated chip to 3.2Mhz or 1.75x its rated capacity IF I am willing to freeze the motherboard in clean nitrogen (or you would be amazed what you can do in motor oil, but i digress)

UC - ?
UV - ?
OCUV -?
GOVERNOR - ?

DEFINITION OF THE GOVERNORS - Thanks to daftlush
ondemand - Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings of SetCPU), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed.

conservative - Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery.

performance - Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for CPU load.

powersave - Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times.

userspace - A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor."

From SetCPU FAQ.

SavagedZen governor is just a modified smartass, should minimize or eliminate wake up issues, perhaps a bit snappier.
Interactive Quoted from http://android.doshaska.net/interactive
Advantages:
+ significantly more responsive to ramp cpu up when required (UI interaction)
+ more consistent ramping, existing governors do their cpu load sampling in a workqueue context, the 'interactive' governor does this in a timer context, which gives more consistent cpu load sampling.
+ higher priority for cpu frequency increase, rt_workqueue is used for scaling up, giving the remaining tasks the cpu performance benefit, unlike existing governors which schedule rampup work to occur after your performance starved tasks have completed.
Laymans terms: When load starts, it ramps up CPU based on measuring how much IDLE cpu is not used. Versus competing for CPU to measure what everyone else is using. So it keeps increasing speed until the Idle bucket stop being hungrily emptied...thus measuring need without interrogation any process.

Smartass and SZ Governers are Special because they have settings controllable by the kernel Dev. Simply stated they have a range, set by the kernel dev, of MinX to MaxX CPU while screen is off and a different MinY to MaxY while the screen is on. It then operates much like Interactive (however the code was done from scratch)

Quoting http://www.ziggy471.com/2010/11/07/smartass-governor-info/ who was Quoting http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=730471

smartass governor – is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works – by taking over the idle loop – is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the “old” minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 – why?! – it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!

setCPU, especially in relation to Profiles

nandroid in relation to /boot

---- UNSURE WHERE TO CATEGORIZE ----- This is a file I/O, memory I/O, or DB I/O concept... I'm not sure how to tie it to kernel
"In computer Operating systems, Read-copy-update (RCU) is a synchronization mechanism implementing a kind of mutual exclusion[note 1] which can sometimes be used as an alternative to a readers-writer lock. It allows extremely low overhead, wait-free reads. However, RCU updates can be expensive, as they must leave the old versions of the data structure in place to accommodate pre-existing readers. These old versions are reclaimed after all pre-existing readers finish their accesses."

Last edited:
Reactions: jbdan and wildland

poetzmij

Nov 18, 2010
Hey bud you forgot Tiamat, i see that you have it included in your mirrors but don't have it listed here, still thanks for the post, makes getting at all the kernels much easier :D

spence341

Aug 16, 2010
Milford
Heyitslou has a kernel thread you should check out. He has a number of them listed and some of the Rom dev's are including his in their work.

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
In the OP, I'd throw up a link to the respective thread under each individual kernel. Easier to find more info about each kernel.

SomeGuyDude

Jun 7, 2010
Just to add to the editorialization, Invisiblek's kernels were regarded as possibly the cream of the crop for AOSP Froyo kernels overall, with a superb balance of performance and battery. Over on the MIUI forums, the #28 was by far the most popular kernel choice to go along with that ROM, and his GB kernel pairs up with CM7 beautifully.

andrew8806

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2010
Dallas
Reopened thread per agreement with OP to increase traffic to Developer's work/thread with providing forum thread link instead of external link. Will continue to moderate as usual. :p

Reactions: wdfowty

galaara98

Nov 5, 2010
Nampa, ID
Incredible list of 2.6.37.xx kernels, Back in Business

Ok, I fixed up the OP... I am happy for now... probably some grammar and typos. But I think this is a great start. Let me know guys!

Aaron

Reactions: wdfowty

wdfowty

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 18, 2010
S.F. Bay Area, California

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
Now that it has links to all the threads where people can get much more info on the kernels, I linked it to the CM7 Nightly Thread (if that's ok with you, if not, let me know and I'll remove it). Noticed you didn't have the link to your mirror where people can download it on the OP. Was this intentional?

cl1ckclack

Jan 9, 2011
So whats everyones favorite so far? im running the invisiblek kernel, and would like to say it has been the best kernel so far.

SomeGuyDude

Jun 7, 2010
So whats everyones favorite so far? im running the invisiblek kernel, and would like to say it has been the best kernel so far.

Been taking Chad's for a test run these last few days.

IMO it's pretty much between Chad's and Invisiblek. The Savaged kernel ANNIHILATED my battery life, and Tiamat just won't turn the screen on unless I hit the power button ten times.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am behind on this OP, I started a business and will fix it up later. Read the post from people to get latest news and opinions..
    «»«» «»«» «»«»
    I like to jump between kernels. Ok truth be told I jump around builds and 'ROM's all the time too. I test govenors and lockup my phone with OCing all the time. It's like a quest, except I enjoy the journey instead of looking for a holy grail.

So I wanted to start a thread to get people finding and using the different kernels.

This OP will be living!
    Devs CORRECT me! Users Debate what you are seeing: PROVE it! Time it! Measure it! Log It!
    Anyone Can PM me to change something if I am wrong, and otherwise correct me right in the thread, so we can get the explanations!

(I wish to point out that: all of these devs have both influence on each other and have done independent work. So becareful in stating who fixed what, etc. But also I hope the kernel devs realize most of the population doesnt understand compiled from source vs compiled from a branch, etc.., nor do we always hear the news of who Really resolved something...and go easy on us if we incorrectly identify the brains behind some hotness.)

To my knowledge there are 7 offshoots of the DInc .37 kernel as of 3/14/2011

I will categorize them by their LAST known contributor.

As of 3/14/2011 these are all AOSP, but this thread will gather stats on them all (emphasis on GB+ though)

Slayher No Official Thread
    Official CyanogenMod HTC Incredible contributor. His kernel style and concepts are most likely going to be stability and quality because the CM7 for DInc built in kernels will be his or approved by him. He also codes for other CM7 DInc projects, and has really helped Gingerbread on the Incredible be a possibility!
    LATEST SPECS ONLY -
    (Dismally missing this info, sorry)
    Deadline I/O
    CIFS

Ok Slayhers kernels don't number well, because he puts them in CM7, not always in flashable format. I'll try to take some time and open his kernel fork to get a feel for where he stands.

#C 3/2/11 new kernel... I compiled 3/5/11 and it was 2.6.37.2, not sure what other goodies hes done
    #D 3/10/11 2.6.37.3 and deadline I/O
    ======================================================
    NEW KERNEL
    userjf (Slayher+AudioBoost) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=958651
    ---------------------------------------------
    userjf has done us a favor and is recompiling Slayher's DEFAULT kernel with just AudioBoost, everything else is in theory perfectly stock. If you need some more volume out of your phone give his kernel a whirl.

Specs follow Slayher's + Audio Boost, see his thread for more details (Mostly just a download link, as he doesn't mess with the rest of the kernel, and does have a list of acronyms for me to put here :) )
    =============================================================

chad0989 (Incredikernel) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=848453
    Chad is the maintainer of the well know Incredikernel, has many 2.6.32.xx updates, and made a thorough investigation into the CWR touchpoint issue, etc. His kernels were generally Sense. Previously he was coordinating with Invisiblek for AOSP kernels.

I used almost all of Chad's sense Kernels before flipping to AOSP build and picking up with Invis. MY OPINION of Chads and Invis kernels: I found their smartass tuning to be impecable for BALANCING wakeup, batterylife, and everyday performance
    [But quality of tuning a kernel can make them 'score low' on things like Quadrant, etc. My personal experience and knowledge of kernels (I am a Windows Engineer...but a kernel is a kernel) tell me it is because the tuning is adapting and not focused on perforance... if you want to test performance, use a HAVSless kernel with performance govenor and probably a BFS scheduler because that one just shoots from the hip :)]

LATEST SPECS ONLY - Patched up to 2.6.37.3
    Any wake issues should be fixed
    Audio boost

http://chad0989.dyndns.org/ 03/06/1...d0989.dyndns.org/sysfsinstructions"]READ THIS
    Lowered wifi voltage for increased battery life

If you are a tinkerer and love to tweak your voltages, please PM me the voltage table you settle on as most stable for your phone.

Update on sense: Still working on it. The artifacting issue seems to be more complicated than I originally thought

Fast charging.
    Working VPN
    SmartAss - you need to set min 128 CPU to get full advantage
    Wifi sleep policy fixed
    Fixed MultiTouch
    Changed to V(R) I/O Scheduler

#6 BETA 2.6.37.2-incredikernel-gb-3062011 [03/06/11] (Has FROYO Version)
    #7 2.6.37.3-incredikernel-gb-3132011 [03/13/11] (Has FROYO Version)
    Invisiblek http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=905873
    Invisiblek has probably the most well know 2.6.32 Froyo AOSP kernel. Though this OP is my Opinion, I consider it professional. So without having run the calculations MYSELF, i would still stake that If you searched on AOSP froyo kernel's Invis#28 (FROYO) is probably the most established 2.6.32.x. Any kernel could be created to beat it in a particular category, but it was the best well rounded I have seen for AOSP 2.6.32.xx.

LATEST SPECS ONLY -
    invisiblek 2.6.37.2: (still just a modified version of slayher's stock cm kernel.) Changes from stock kernel:
    - added smartass governor (max cpu freq on screen off: 384mhz)
    - added havs
    - fast charge (thanks chad0989!)
    - removed debugging options (much smaller kernel size)

#0 2.6.37-nodebug-havs-smartass [Along Time Ago]
    #1 invisiblek-2.6.37.2-signed.zip [03/09/11]

Cayniarb (Tiamat Kernel) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=885217
    Cayniarb is the well know maintainer of the Tiamat Kernel. I have to admit the only time I used one of his kernels is when he was the other choice for GB that had some backports in it. (told you I like to jump around) I found no issues with it, it ran smooth, had good battery life.
    If I had to throw out an OPINION of Cayniarb that i like. If you look at his thread, he is very organized, methotical, and straight up. That is good for the community of users, means he is one to do his homework and release good stuff. He also seems to have no problem pushing the kernel settings and contraints so users have options to lock up their DInc to their hearts content... anyway my thoughts.

Cayniarb likes to list his specs as" rolling information" :) so I can't translate to 100% latest only, because i could be wrong
    - cleanup gitub (cayniarb)
    - cleanup code (caynairb)
    merged updates/changes from CyanogenMod/cm-kernel - brings 2.6.73.2 and various optimizations for GB 2.3.3 (CyanogenMod Team)
    [3/2/11][2.6.37.2 CAYNAIRB says 2.6.73.2 but kernel.org disagrees with him :) ]

Version 3.1.5
    implement fast charging for non-SBC versions (chad0989)
    add dedicated SBC defconfigs (cayniarb)

- completely update HAVS implementation (intersectRaven)
    - tweak HAVS for stability particular to each platform (caynairb)
    - add support for 128Mhz CPU clock speed (cayniarb)
    - enable JESUS_PHONE mode by default - enables more OC levels (caynairb) -- (I do not recommend overclocking beyond 1.19Ghz and I will not support any problems caused by overclocking. Each device is unique and may or may not be able to clock to different frequencies)
    - implement custom defconfig (cayniarb)
    - support for the HTC Evo 4G and XOOM (cayniarb) {DINC USERS PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DOWNLOAD}
    - reapplied custom Tiamat tweaks (caynirb)
    •enabled multi-touch support (cayniarb) -- CWM 3.0.0.7 works, 3.0.0.5 and 3.0.0.8 do not

#09 Version 3.1.4 [03/02/11]
    #10 Version 3.1.5 [03/05/11]
    ===========================================

bbedward (Savaged Zen-Inc) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=938790 - PAGE 11

bbedward seems to have picked up the Savaged Zen kernel from 2.6.32.xx I never used the old kernel. Ok He has his latest in his OP (so don't use the page 11 one). FROYO Kernel Available (at this time it is SBC)

LATEST SPECS ONLY -
    - HAVS
    - SBC - THIS IS CHOOSE-ABLE VIA WHICH DOWNLOAD YOU CHOOSE
    - SLQB Slab Allocator
    - Fixes from CodeAurora
    - BFS and memory tweaks

#1 2.6.37 Savaged-Zen-INC v0.0.1 (CFS/BFS+AVS+SBC+HAVS) - Page 11
    #2 2.6.37 Savaged-Zen-INC v0.0.1 (STILL 0.0.1, but now in the OP with updates..please consider this one the most current)
    ============================================

NEW KERNEL
    mwielgosz (Savaged-Zen-INC noSBC) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=976580
    We have been graced with a new kernel. mwielgosz picks up with a dedicated thread for NOSBC Savaged-Zen
    I have not given it a whirl because of RC2 and all my hacking i do for my own comforts, i "got" to redo..., so without further ado:

LATEST SPECS ONLY -
    BFS OR CFS
    - HAVS
    - SLQB Slab Allocator
    - Fixes from CodeAurora
    - BFS and memory tweaks

Watch your downloads! The download page has multiple devices, dont screw up!
    #1 Savaged-Zen-INC [2.6.37] noSBC [03/02/11]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kernel Devs I haven't seen, please keep me posted if they popup with a kernel

HeyItsLou
    Ziggy
    KiNgxKernel
    Hydra-kernel
    Adrynalyne

Others
    I would like to start gathering Kernel Terms here. Please post the definitions of the most common and not so common Terms or Questions you hear out in the wild and I'll put them in the "Second Post"

=============== TO DO Answer What are advantages of this thing over that... ============
    --------------------------------
    CPU SCHEDULERS
    O(1) scheduler - Outdated by the CFS Scheduler
    Completely Fair Scheduler (CFS)
    The Brain **** Scheduler (or BFS)

DISK I/O Schedulers
    Budget Fair Queuing IO Scheduler (BFQ)
    Completely Fair Queuing (CFQ)
    V(R) I/O Scheduler
    Deadline IO
    The goal of the Deadline scheduler is to attempt to guarantee a start service time for a request[1]. It does that by imposing a deadline on all I/O operations to prevent starvation of requests. It also maintains two deadline queues, in addition to the sorted queues (both read and write). Deadline queues are basically sorted by their deadline (the expiration time), while the sorted queues are sorted by the sector number.

Before serving the next request, the Deadline scheduler decides which queue to use. Read queues are given a higher priority, because processes usually block on read operations. Next, the Deadline scheduler checks if the first request in the deadline queue has expired. Otherwise, the scheduler serves a batch of requests from the sorted queue. In both cases, the scheduler also serves a batch of requests following the chosen request in the sorted queue.

By default, read requests have an expiration time of 500 ms, write requests expire in 5 seconds.

The kernel docs suggest this is the preferred scheduler for database systems, especially if you have TCQ aware disks, or any system with high disk performance[2].

:cool:

====================================
    MODULES YOUR KERNEL MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE (MODULES CAN BE COMPILED INTO KERNEL, or a .ko file)
    BCM4329.ko BroadCom One-shot wonder radio chip: BCM4329 - Low-Power 802.11n with Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR and FM (Tx and Rx)
    cifs.ko ability to connect directly to Windows computer: Server Message Block (SMB), also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS) mainly used to provide shared access to files, printers, serial ports, and miscellaneous communications between nodes on a network. Most usage of SMB involves computers running Microsoft Windows, where it was known as "Microsoft Windows Network"

IPTABLES - Linux Firewall (if it has DNAT, it can be part of an integral part of a proxy also) Mostly compiled these days, but if you don't have it you can't do IP Firewall like Droidwall.

TUN - Tunneling, generally compiled in, VPN software needs this.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=976580
    In that thread I found...
    SBC - Superior Battery Charging. Google "trickle charging" for explanation.
    HAVS - Hybrid Adaptive Voltage Scheduling. Voltage drops as CPU speed goes down in order to conserve power."

NOTE FROM OP: Is There a negative to HAVS? If so explain? If not why does slayher, who seems to take the time to do a lot of investigation still not include?

=====================================
    OC - Over Clock(ing)(ed), using your operating system [Or Motherboard Firmware] to force the CPU or BUS above manufacturer recommendations. I have over-clocked around 100 desktops, and I goof off with my Android all the time in this area.
    When you see a Device with a certain Hertz (Hz) or more likely Megahertz (MHz) this is most likely talking about the CPU multiplier Multiplied by the BUS speed (measured in 'heartbeats'... sortof... per second) In general the days of actually changing the the CPU multiplier are gone (AMD used to be able to), so if a device motherboard 'pulses' at 266Mhz and the CPU Multiplier is 3.5, we often say its a 933 Mhz device. Manufacturers build Chips (CPU, GPU, Memory, and I/O bridges (Chipsets) in huge batches. [I grew up 5 miles from Intel in Rio Rancho, New Mexico :) ] They spot check about 10% of the actual chips, and whatever is the maximum heat, volts, etc they can handle, or tolerate, before becoming damaged or unusable: The whole batch is rated at that speed! (This is important because many chips can FAR Exceed that without ANY VOLTAGE increase at ALL, and some can barely meet that at all (Meet the Intel Centrino's CPU's that failed level 1 or 2 Cache checks, disabled the Cache, and sold as cheap and neutered CPUs))

Over Clocking is when the user attempts to exceed the rating they were told the chip could handle: We can increase that by pushing the motherboard to 'beat' faster. The overall effect is the all data is acted upon, move to memory, moved to i/o [like disk or sound], etc faster, the NEGATIVE is CPU, GPU, Memory, or Chipsets often have brownouts: they need more electricity to operate faster. So many motherboards allow you to tweak the POWER to CPU and Memory, even some I/O Chips. The negative of more power is MORE HEAT. So eventually it is IMPOSSIBLE to maintain stability because the heat cause the chips to shut down. Hence high air cooling, and water cooling, and such. So for instance I can push a 2.4Mhz rated chip to 3.2Mhz or 1.75x its rated capacity IF I am willing to freeze the motherboard in clean nitrogen (or you would be amazed what you can do in motor oil, but i digress)

UC - ?
    UV - ?
    OCUV -?
    GOVERNOR - ?

DEFINITION OF THE GOVERNORS - Thanks to daftlush
    ondemand - Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings of SetCPU), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed.

conservative - Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery.

performance - Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for CPU load.

powersave - Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times.

userspace - A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor."

From SetCPU FAQ.

SavagedZen governor is just a modified smartass, should minimize or eliminate wake up issues, perhaps a bit snappier.
    Interactive Quoted from http://android.doshaska.net/interactive
    Advantages:
    + significantly more responsive to ramp cpu up when required (UI interaction)
    + more consistent ramping, existing governors do their cpu load sampling in a workqueue context, the 'interactive' governor does this in a timer context, which gives more consistent cpu load sampling.
    + higher priority for cpu frequency increase, rt_workqueue is used for scaling up, giving the remaining tasks the cpu performance benefit, unlike existing governors which schedule rampup work to occur after your performance starved tasks have completed.
    Laymans terms: When load starts, it ramps up CPU based on measuring how much IDLE cpu is not used. Versus competing for CPU to measure what everyone else is using. So it keeps increasing speed until the Idle bucket stop being hungrily emptied...thus measuring need without interrogation any process.

Smartass and SZ Governers are Special because they have settings controllable by the kernel Dev. Simply stated they have a range, set by the kernel dev, of MinX to MaxX CPU while screen is off and a different MinY to MaxY while the screen is on. It then operates much like Interactive (however the code was done from scratch)

Quoting http://www.ziggy471.com/2010/11/07/smartass-governor-info/ who was Quoting http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=730471

smartass governor – is based on the concept of the interactive governor.
    I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works – by taking over the idle loop – is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the “old” minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
    Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 352Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 352 – why?! – it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 528/176 kernel, it will sleep at 352/176. No need for sleep profiles any more!

setCPU, especially in relation to Profiles

nandroid in relation to /boot

---- UNSURE WHERE TO CATEGORIZE ----- This is a file I/O, memory I/O, or DB I/O concept... I'm not sure how to tie it to kernel
    "In computer Operating systems, Read-copy-update (RCU) is a synchronization mechanism implementing a kind of mutual exclusion[note 1] which can sometimes be used as an alternative to a readers-writer lock. It allows extremely low overhead, wait-free reads. However, RCU updates can be expensive, as they must leave the old versions of the data structure in place to accommodate pre-existing readers. These old versions are reclaimed after all pre-existing readers finish their accesses."
    This should be stickied.

Edit: Suggestion for renaming the title: drop "HTC" and leave it as simply "The Incredible List of .37 Kernels"

just a thought :p
    Reopened thread per agreement with OP to increase traffic to Developer's work/thread with providing forum thread link instead of external link. Will continue to moderate as usual. :p
    Incredible list of 2.6.37.xx kernels, Back in Business

Ok, I fixed up the OP... I am happy for now... probably some grammar and typos. But I think this is a great start. Let me know guys!

Aaron