[TOOL] Backup TA for Mac OS X [v1.4][2015-05-13]

Search This thread

limiter121

Dec 17, 2013
Backup TA for Sony Xperia™ (Mac OS X version)

With this app you can backup and restore the TA partition of your device.

This can be useful, for example, when you want to unlock your bootloader and not lose your DRM keys and most importantly, your warranty. Before unlocking your bootloader, backup your TA with this app and you will be able to restore it to a factory state (locked bootloader, DRM keys intact, etc).

The app is based on TA Backup v9.10 by DevShaft (thanks !), which can be found here.

View attachment 2573685

Downloads
Frequently asked questions
Source code
Issues

Last edited:

DevShaft

May 12, 2013
Thanks a lot for bringing this to Mac OS X and make it open source as well! Will have a look at the source and your work at a later time.

Last edited:

limiter121

Dec 17, 2013
I have granted SU permission to shell, so it won't prompt anyway.
The app is then not responding and I have to force close it.

Yeah, the app will appear to hang but it actually waits for adb to work it's magic.
Is there any chance you could send me a copy of the system log ?

To do so, open the Console app, enter "Backup TA" in the search field in the top right corner (to filter the logs) and make sure that "All Messages" is selected in the Log list (sidebar) on the left side of the window. At this point there should be lots of messages from Backup TA shown. You can now go to File -> Save a copy as... and send that file to me so I can look at what went wrong.

stanley321

Nov 29, 2009
Yeah, the app will appear to hang but it actually waits for adb to work it's magic.
Is there any chance you could send me a copy of the system log ?

To do so, open the Console app, enter "Backup TA" in the search field in the top right corner (to filter the logs) and make sure that "All Messages" is selected in the Log list (sidebar) on the left side of the window. At this point there should be lots of messages from Backup TA shown. You can now go to File -> Save a copy as... and send that file to me so I can look at what went wrong.

Tried but nothing show up after the search!?

So I think it is just a case that I'm too hurry to check the app and closed it earlier than I should while it is working.

limiter121

Dec 17, 2013
Tried but nothing show up after the search!?

So I think it is just a case that I'm too hurry to check the app and closed it earlier than I should while it is working.

Try selecting system.log in the sidebar and then search for Backup TA, it should work.

Anyway, I'll implement a better way to get logs from the app soon :)

stanley321

Nov 29, 2009
Try selecting system.log in the sidebar and then search for Backup TA, it should work.

I find it but can't get it up here...

We are sorry, your post was flagged by our system and was blocked from submitting. If you believe this was in error, please contact an admin to report this.

Looking at it, I think I just closed it too early. Nothing wrong with your part!

Reactions: limiter121

limiter121

Dec 17, 2013

We are sorry, your post was flagged by our system and was blocked from submitting. If you believe this was in error, please contact an admin to report this.

Looking at it, I think I just closed it too early. Nothing wrong with your part!

Too bad about the log, but thanks a lot for testing and helping ;)

stanley321

Nov 29, 2009
Too bad about the log, but thanks a lot for testing and helping ;)
Checking the timestamp, maybe you should add a message to ask the user to wait for at least a minute to prevent nervous users like me from closing it too early.

Sorry for being new to this TA thing, I don't know how long I should expect.

scoobydu

May 16, 2005
Thanks for bringing this in a simple form to MacOS :)

Already backup up, but did another backup and did the test; all seemed well.

limiter121

Dec 17, 2013
New version 1.1 (2) available !

Download it here.

Changelog :
  • Added better log handling. You can now see the log files using Help -> Open logs folder
  • UI does not lock (beachball) anymore during lengthy backup/restore operations

Reactions: imen27

Miche1asso

Apr 11, 2012
Treviso
New version 1.2 (4) available !

Download it here.

Changelog:
  • Added auto-update support
  • Improved reliability (by using bundled BusyBox commands)
  • Bug fixes

Thanks, mate. I think it worked. Just one question: is it normal that a 2MB TA partition gets zipped into few KB? Something like 77KB. Are those sizes (for both TA partition and zip file) normal?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Backup TA for Sony Xperia™ (Mac OS X version)

With this app you can backup and restore the TA partition of your device.

This can be useful, for example, when you want to unlock your bootloader and not lose your DRM keys and most importantly, your warranty. Before unlocking your bootloader, backup your TA with this app and you will be able to restore it to a factory state (locked bootloader, DRM keys intact, etc).

The app is based on TA Backup v9.10 by DevShaft (thanks !), which can be found here.

View attachment 2573685

Downloads
    Frequently asked questions
    Source code
    Issues
    Big update

New version 1.2 (4) available !

Download it here.

Changelog:
    • Added auto-update support
    • Improved reliability (by using bundled BusyBox commands)
    • Bug fixes
    New version available

Thanks to @poodump for reporting the issue :good: !

The new version 1.4 is now available as an update or download (check first post for links).

Changelog (1.4):
    • Fix root permission check
    • UI bug fixes

Enjoy ;) !
    New version available

Huge thanks for your excellent work @psychowood :D !

I have included your changes in the new version 1.3 which is now available as an update or download (check first post for links).

Changelog (1.3):
    • New icon
    • Updated binaries (adb, busybox)
    • Bug fixes