Colours: Classic (Black) and Sport (Lime), straps avaialble in white and pink

Here are some links with usefull info about SW3:

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
hey julz, thanks for coming here.

I can see at the moment the Sony works the same as the other android wear watches. The extra features will come the next update.

Do the updates come directly from Google or Sony? Did they say anything about it?

Last week the watch was shown in India and I saw in the protypes Google Fit and Runkeeper preinstalled.

I think Google Fit is not yet available to the public, right? And maybe the runkeeper app it's a special version to use the GPS and without the phone....

You can see it after 2:30 in this video:

http://youtu.be/1_FAc9bw9ic

What do you think?

And what about the wristband? Many, many people say this is a terrible watch because of the ugly black wristband. And that is unfair. The watch itself is a great piece of modern technology.

Do you run? Will you use it to track sports when the update arrives?

Thank you for being here!

Edit:

Swimming!

can we swim safely with this? Did the Sony guys tell you anything about it?

Last edited:

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
Hi, my watch has Google fit installed. It is currently just the app that shows you how many steps you've taken. Run keeper i believe is installed on your watch when you install the normal run keeper app.

Not sure who will roll out the updates but in pretty sure it's the manufacturer like your phone. Don't know about swimming with the watch, not sure why you would want to anyway.

Reactions: acey_zero

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
Well it came to my attention. I saw the runkepper app in two Indian videos of the presentation and I'm pretty sure it was preinstalled, so maybe they are developing a version to be used without the phone in the next big android wear update.

To swim with the watch makes sense if you practice sport. Think about tracking the activity, as stopwatch or even to play music while you swim!!!

Or even more easy: You don't have to hide the watch in your bag while you are in the swimming pool.

Just curious about the potential. Imagine to practice sports like Triathlon or Duathlon. Makes sense for sports.

acey_zero

Oct 14, 2007
Thanks for sharing my link. If anyone has any questions please let me know☺.
I'll be working on developing some custom watchfaces for the Sony SmartWatch 3 to join my collection for the SmartWatch 2.

Cheers
Julian

If you have a chance, could you measure the maximum inside circumference of the watch band? I have large wrists and not all bands fit me. Thanks!

acey_zero

Oct 14, 2007
Hi mate, the max size is just over 8" or 21cm.

Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, it sounds like I will not be able to wear this one. Bummer, as I was really looking forward to it. I really wish they went with a standard watch band...

Maybe the metal band will be longer, but I'm not holding my breath.

nCoder

Mar 22, 2006
Dublin
Hi Julz
Based on your experience, Can we really expect 2 full days of battery of moderate usage? or this is the usual marketing BS?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I'm curious about the transreflective screen.:
- In direct sunlight, how readable is it?
- are colours washed out when reflecting sunlight?
- would a normal bulb light be enough to read the contents, or the LED is on?
- Will it use the screen light on day light or only when there is not enough light to reflect?

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
Hi Julz
Based on your experience, Can we really expect 2 full days of battery of moderate usage? or this is the usual marketing BS?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I'm curious about the transreflective screen.:
- In direct sunlight, how readable is it?
- are colours washed out when reflecting sunlight?
- would a normal bulb light be enough to read the contents, or the LED is on?
- Will it use the screen light on day light or only when there is not enough light to reflect?

Yes two days is achievable. Probably not necessarily 48 hours all the time but enough that by the second day you'll be at home ready for bed before you need to plug it in. The screen is similar to the SmartWatch 2 in its readability in sunlight. I'll need to double check how it looks as we just started getting some nicer weather here with some sun. When the screen is in low power mode it is easily readable indoors without the need to turn on a light. You would only need to turn on the screen in active mode if it was dark. Probably no more difficult than trying to read a book at night.

Reactions: nCoder

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
At this moment it works like the other wear watches. It needs the phone for everything and there isn't any app that uses the internal gps. And if you must carry the phone it makes no sense to pair the chest monitor to the watch.

But this will change with the big android wear update and the new features independent of the phone.

We have to wait a little bit more. I hope the chest monitor thing is in the plan of future stand alone fitness apps for this next generation of Android wear.

Reactions: CrashTestDroid

ampm325

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas
Hey, thanks for the info about the gps, I figured it must be tied in with the upcoming update, and may be a part of the delay.

huoyjii

Feb 13, 2008
Northborough, MA
Vibration Motor

Hi Julz,

Any chance you can comment on the strength of the vibration motor between the SW2 and the new SW3? I like the vibration intensity on the SW2. Tried a Moto 360's vibration motor and it is a joke - too weak!!

Thanks in advance.

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
The vibration motor isn't as strong as the SmartWatch 2 in my opinion. A bit more subtle but I actually prefer it as it isn't as loud and annoying but still noticeable.

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
Sony says in Europe that the wifi thing is a mistake.

What a joke about the launch of this watch...

Top Liked Posts