Complete Phone Format

Search This thread

jdahlum

Mar 28, 2012
Guys,

Over time in flashing roms, playing with different apps, etc. I've built up a bunch of junk on the phone and there are certain items I'm not even sure are safe to remove.

What is the best way to go about completely formatting the phone and starting fresh. Just format the SD card then boot into CWM and factory reset and then flash my ROM again? Will that take me back to a completely fresh install and clean SD card?

I did a search and most results were about cleaning things up for a ROM flash but I'm really trying to totally remove all the junk I don't use anymore. I have all my data backed up on the computer so putting it back won't be a problem. Thanks!

Jamie

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California
Yeah that should do it. But be careful, I may be wrong, but if you wipe your SD card, wouldn't you loose recovery too? Considering the clockworkmod folder would be wiped? Can someone clarify?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
Yeah that should do it. But be careful, I may be wrong, but if you wipe your SD card, wouldn't you loose recovery too? Considering the clockworkmod folder would be wiped? Can someone clarify?

Recovery is kernel dependent, so no. The only concern in wiping the sd is deleting nandroid backups, which you can backup manually on a PC before clearing the sd. I assume the OP is going to take the appropriate measures to backup the files he/she wants.

Reactions: wonner and trell959

trell959

Dec 20, 2010
California
Recovery is kernel dependent, so no. The only concern in wiping the sd is deleting nandroid backups, which you can backup manually on a PC before clearing the sd. I assume the OP is going to take the appropriate measures to backup the files he/she wants.

Thanks. I knew it was kernel dependent, just was unsure. :D

audiophan

Jul 5, 2011
I've read, but not attempted, that the only way to do what you want is to reflash a stock rom and do a master reset from inside there.

Another recommendation was to unmount/format the SD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

geomax45

Oct 25, 2011
Oregon
I put nandroids and any files I need to flash on my external sd, then wipe, factory reset, wipe caches, and then format sd. Then I can flash the ROM and other files from the ext sd.

Edgarhighman

Dec 2, 2011
I've had this same question for a while, posted sort of before but no answer. So what is the safe way?

How to keep nandroid backup and titanium backups.

I'd just move all my stuff to external_sd or a usb flash drive otg (what's that mean anyway? )

Can phone go into download mode from usb otg flash drive? What would I need on there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.