[Q] Not able to connect to data network

Search This thread

kahdusa

Jan 8, 2014
I bought a Nexus 5 from the US and am using it in India on a vodafone carrier. 2g calls work fine.
3g data does not. When i turn data on, it turns to H - > 3g -> and no signal and the cycle continues. I have tried replacing the sim twice to no avail. Is this a modem problem ? Should I flash to a different one ?

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I bought a Nexus 5 from the US and am using it in India on a vodafone carrier. 2g calls work fine.
3g data does not. When i turn data on, it turns to H - > 3g -> and no signal and the cycle continues. I have tried replacing the sim twice to no avail. Is this a modem problem ? Should I flash to a different one ?

Hmm. Sounds strange. You running any custom software? Have Preferred Network Type on the best selection for your network? Have the correct APNs? Those are usually the main culprits of issues like this.

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Google Pixel 7 Pro
My nexus kept changing between H and 3g and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually the reason behind it was my preferred network type got changed to 3g instead of LTE. So I would check that first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
So the radio is crashing?

How about doing a *#*#4636#*#* and then selecting menu (3 dots) and do radio selection and then choose EURO frequencies and see if that helps?

kahdusa

Jan 8, 2014
Looks like I might have a solution for this, which I will try later in the day. This is definitely an issue with the carrier and not with the phone itself. The carriers themselves do not support the phone, hence you would need to get your sim card activated on a known good phone and then once its activated, use it on the nexus 5. I will confirm this tonight.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN

The US version has different radio bands than the international version. That could be why you are having issues.

North America (D820) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Rest of World (D821) model:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8
LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20

My nexus kept changing between H and 3g and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually the reason behind it was my preferred network type got changed to 3g instead of LTE. So I would check that first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium

That switching is intended. The phone idles on UMTS and when data is called it switches to HSPA as indicated by the icons. It's not supported in all T-Mobile markets, but it is on mine and presumably yours.

Last edited:

psy_spy

Nov 24, 2013
Looks like I might have a solution for this, which I will try later in the day. This is definitely an issue with the carrier and not with the phone itself. The carriers themselves do not support the phone, hence you would need to get your sim card activated on a known good phone and then once its activated, use it on the nexus 5. I will confirm this tonight.

Please PM me if the issue is resolved.