Messages app freezing after restoring messages from old phone

Search This thread

firemandan

Aug 26, 2014
So, basically the title. I had a Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD that was running 4.4 and used SMS Backup and Restore to backup my SMS so I could transfer them to my Galaxy Note 3. Ran the restore with no issues, but now that it's finished, anytime I open the Messages app it tells me how many converstaions I have, but nothing works. It doesn't actually show any of my threads. When I press back, the app takes a minute and then force closes. Pressing anywhere within the app will eventually cause a force close and not actually do anything. Anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help!

MystaMagoo

Nov 15, 2008
www.teamagoo.uk
So, basically the title. I had a Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD that was running 4.4 and used SMS Backup and Restore to backup my SMS so I could transfer them to my Galaxy Note 3. Ran the restore with no issues, but now that it's finished, anytime I open the Messages app it tells me how many converstaions I have, but nothing works. It doesn't actually show any of my threads. When I press back, the app takes a minute and then force closes. Pressing anywhere within the app will eventually cause a force close and not actually do anything. Anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help!

try clearing it's cache and data

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
I've tried data and the issue persists.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

May be the problem is due to database inconsistency.

Instead of using SMS Backup and Restore, try to use another backup/restore method, e.g. Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro?

Or try to backup/restore some only threads (instead of backup/restore all), to eliminate the problem.

firemandan

Aug 26, 2014
Yeah I would use titanium but I'm not rooting this phone yet. I just said screw it and started from a clean slate haha. Thanks for the advice guys.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app