Windows 8 64 bits very slow to install by DVD

Search This thread

MRaimo

Apr 8, 2012
Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 8 64 bits Consumer Preview by DVD driver in my PC, but, it's very, VERY slow to install. I wait 1 hour to select the language. Why is happening this? For install my Windows 7 32 bits Ultimate was the same. Is my HD or DVD Driver? (I burn 2x in the DVD by Power ISO)

Thanks.

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 8 64 bits Consumer Preview by DVD driver in my PC, but, it's very, VERY slow to install. I wait 1 hour to select the language. Why is happening this? For install my Windows 7 32 bits Ultimate was the same. Is my HD or DVD Driver? (I burn 2x in the DVD by Power ISO)

Thanks.

That software you mentioned should have died out years ago , but didn't. They propped up sales by seeding torrents that blahblahblah.... rant off.

Anyway, try a md5sum on the images and dvds.

I installed on a vm in less than 15minutes, and even with the annoying reboots it was fairly quick.

Check you bios for odd settings.

Erazor84

Apr 4, 2011
Vienna
Are your floppy disk controller enabled in the bios? Since Windows Vista some Mainboards have problems with setup if the floppy controller is enabled! deactivate it and setup should run at normal speed!

moose.splash1

Feb 19, 2012
Los Angeles
Windows 8 is a big file on its own, if you're trying to install the 64 buy version its even bigger. Be patient or try the 32 bit version :)

Sent from my Nexus One using xda premium

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
given that you said you had issues on another OS then its likely to be a hardware issue.

first suggestion is to make sure your using 32 bit DMA access in your BIOS, its quite easy to set that to UDMA 0 or even PIO mode by mistake, its also possible the drive or disks your burning from / to might not be as accurate as they should be, its also worth checking your download isn't corrupted, I had that issue on the DP but that failed to install rather than just being slow.

If your using older drives using parallel cables, make sure they are on different channels, ie not connected to the same cable (master slave)

you could try setting up a USB drive install, that would rule out the media drive altogether and limit it to your moby or HDD

Reactions: MRaimo

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
how is your raid set up? Make sure you have ahci , I loaded 64 bit last night , took less than 10 minutes and I had a corrupted drive to begin with (that took me an extra 10 minutes by itself) but install of the OS was the fastest Ive ever had on a windows machine !

flyingdreamz

Jan 23, 2011
Atlanta
Slow DVD install

It sounds like you have a low transfer speed or a low read speed on the DVD drive. Because it took me just over an hour to install Windows 8 CP on HP ZD7249CL. it took about 15 minutes to install on my Home Built desktop (AMD Phenom X4 840 3.2Ghz, 8 GB of ram, SATA III, AMD HD5770). See if you can upgrade to a sata drive if possible.

MRaimo

Apr 8, 2012
My older DVD drive is SATA, the new one(from my old PC) is IDE, and the both took the same time.
I will try to make some changes in the BIOS and reinstall the OS.
So I post the results.
Thanks all of you o/

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
I'm curious....

Does windows allow imaging/installing from disk images for non corporate users ?

On my mac I image disks, and install whatever is needed from the images. Its magnitudes faster than waiting on cd/dvd read times.

Maybe someone here is familiar with how its done on windows ?

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Windows has some of the most efficient installation methods of any OS, you can essentially build whatever you like and have a completed automated / unattended install

Sent from my HD2 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Windows has some of the most efficient installation methods of any OS, you can essentially build whatever you like and have a completed automated / unattended install

More specifics would be good.

Sent from a communication device that doesn't self-advertise or spam either of us with ads.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Well, how about you tell us what you want to do, remote, network, disk, usb, pre setup, semi setup,what do you want an we can show you how, I've not come across any limitations. Yet ! =)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    given that you said you had issues on another OS then its likely to be a hardware issue.

first suggestion is to make sure your using 32 bit DMA access in your BIOS, its quite easy to set that to UDMA 0 or even PIO mode by mistake, its also possible the drive or disks your burning from / to might not be as accurate as they should be, its also worth checking your download isn't corrupted, I had that issue on the DP but that failed to install rather than just being slow.

If your using older drives using parallel cables, make sure they are on different channels, ie not connected to the same cable (master slave)

you could try setting up a USB drive install, that would rule out the media drive altogether and limit it to your moby or HDD