ADB Sideload Method to update Nexus 7 Issues

Search This thread

Sarg92

Jun 7, 2010
I'm trying to install the 4.1.2 update using the adb sideload method from Android Central but my Windows cmd window states a message saying

* cannot read 'sideload' *

Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong?

aletheus

Oct 13, 2011
I'm trying to install the 4.1.2 update using the adb sideload method from Android Central but my Windows cmd window states a message saying

* cannot read 'sideload' *

Any ideas to what I'm doing wrong?

Rightclick in the adb window, choose 'open command prompt here' that way you don't have to manually navigate to the right directory. Once the command prompt is open, type:

Code:
adb sideload {name of file}

NOT a developer here, just have some experience with the basics. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

aletheus

Oct 13, 2011
Ok. Real noob question. How do you get to the adb window to right click?:eek:

You dont. Navigate to your adb platform tools folder, right-click in the window (just anywhere in the empty space), and select "open command prompt here" --in the same folder that adb.exe resides in---

Then you can type (in the command window)

Code:
 adb devices

just to make sure you're connecting to your device, if so then type

Code:

don't type {name of file}, just type the name of the file you're wanting to sideload, including the file extension (the 4.1.2 update I'm guessing) --make sure the file is in the same folder as adb.exe so you don't need to type the path name...

Hope that helps

GT-P6800
GT-N8013

broadwayblues

Mar 22, 2011
You dont. Navigate to your adb platform tools folder, right-click in the window (just anywhere in the empty space), and select "open command prompt here" --in the same folder that adb.exe resides in---

Code:
 adb devices

Code:

don't type {name of file}, just type the name of the file you're wanting to sideload, including the file extension (the 4.1.2 update I'm guessing) --make sure the file is in the same folder as adb.exe so you don't need to type the path name...

Hope that helps

GT-P6800
GT-N8013
When I do this, I get same result as typing in "adb help." I don't understand since I see the device when typing "adb devices."

asimons81

I'm having issues as well. ADB recognizes my N7. I have the file in my /android/platform-tools folder. But when I run adb sideload 03a4eaf95f73.signed-nakasi-JZO54K-from-JRO03D.03a4eaf9.zip, it does the same thing as if I use just the command adb.

Any ideas?

aletheus

Oct 13, 2011

I'm sorry, I've neverhad tis problem. If your device id is showing up in an adb devices query, you should be able to type

Code:
adb sideload {path to file/name of file}

And it should run.... is your device in recovery? Or just plugged in? Have you enabled USB debugging in settings>developer options?

GT-P6800
GT-N8013

Last edited:

asimons81

I'm sorry, I've neverhad tis problem. If. Our device I'd is showingup in an adb devices query, you should be able to type:

Code:

And it should run.... is your device in recovery? Or just plugged in? Have you enabled USB debugging in settings>developer options?

GT-P6800
GT-N8013

I reinstalled my drivers. I now have serial number / sideload, but using the adb sideload code still runs the same as typing just adb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLVED: Had to delete my platform-tools folder and reinstall adb. Worked first try. =D

Last edited:
Reactions: aletheus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys forget everything about sideload the update... there's a little trick which force your devices to get it ota

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

i should do it 4 times before it worked :D :good:
    Ok. Real noob question. How do you get to the adb window to right click?:eek:

Code:
     adb devices

Code:

Hope that helps

GT-P6800
    GT-N8013
    I'm sorry, I've neverhad tis problem. If. Our device I'd is showingup in an adb devices query, you should be able to type:

Code:

GT-P6800
    GT-N8013

I reinstalled my drivers. I now have serial number / sideload, but using the adb sideload code still runs the same as typing just adb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLVED: Had to delete my platform-tools folder and reinstall adb. Worked first try. =D
    The side load command seems to not be included in older versions of adb. The list of adb commands comes up because an invalid command was typed. I had an older version of adb that could detect the n7 but didn't recognize the sideload command. A newer version of adb I have works fine.
    Had an issue with this today, turned out my supposed update.zip was actually a .tar archive. :silly: