Update 4.2.1

Search This thread

stuart0001

Jan 9, 2011
Hampton
Can anyone please check the following is fixed:

1. 4.2 update made the display colours paler/washed out. Does 4.2.1 change this at all?
2. 4.2 broke car mode meaning your car dock app didn't take over the default launcher whilst in car mode

Many thanks

tkm89

Aug 19, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
To clarify, after flashing the new OTA update through CWM, CWM notified you that root had broken and asked whether you wanted to restore it. You said yes, and it worked?

Sorry for the bluntness, I want to make sure we're on the same page here.

Correct. It gave me an option of keeping CWM Recovery and whether to keep root or not.

shojus

Jan 9, 2008
GRap
So I have the update notification on my status bar and I downloaded rootkeeper so if I let it update on it's own will it work that way? Or should I just flash it through twrp? Thanks in advance! :)

soder

Mar 19, 2010
I'm pretty new on being on stock ROM and I got some questions about this OTA or update.zip file.

I've rooted the rom, and also moved some apps to /system/app and also flashed TWRP recovery.

Can I install this update, or do I need to do something else? Like, flash back stock recovery? Does it work to have done some mods to /system if I only move back to stock recovery?

/Söder

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
Can anyone please check the following is fixed:

1. 4.2 update made the display colours paler/washed out. Does 4.2.1 change this at all?
2. 4.2 broke car mode meaning your car dock app didn't take over the default launcher whilst in car mode

Many thanks

Are you talking about the Nexus 4? It shipped with 4.2 and had a small update afterwards. But I don't think the original update 4.2 changed anything with the colors.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Not sure if a placebo effect .. Or that I've gotten used to it m but my touch response seems better after 4.2.1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

CMNein

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary
I'm pretty new on being on stock ROM and I got some questions about this OTA or update.zip file.

I've rooted the rom, and also moved some apps to /system/app and also flashed TWRP recovery.

Can I install this update, or do I need to do something else? Like, flash back stock recovery? Does it work to have done some mods to /system if I only move back to stock recovery?

/Söder

It doesn't matter what you've moved to system, as long as you haven't removed/renamed any stock system files you're okay.

I had all pre-existing files intact in system so I passed assert. I sideloaded the zip however, so I had to reflash TWRP and SuperSU. I've seen other people report that CWM prompted them about whether they wanted to retain CWM vs the stock recovery +/- root (?).

Reactions: soder

stuart0001

Jan 9, 2011
Hampton
Are you talking about the Nexus 4? It shipped with 4.2 and had a small update afterwards. But I don't think the original update 4.2 changed anything with the colors.

Yes, the nexus 4 earlier ota degraded the display colour. See link below.

http://db.tt/OQyLPrP8
Left - pre ota, right - Post ota. After quadrant they are in reverse. Forget about clarity, just look at the colours. Shot handheld with dslr, so a bit shaky.

Here's your proof that you can see with your eyes that it is ota.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

soder

Mar 19, 2010
It doesn't matter what you've moved to system, as long as you haven't removed/renamed any stock system files you're okay.

I had all pre-existing files intact in system so I passed assert. I sideloaded the zip however, so I had to reflash TWRP and SuperSU. I've seen other people report that CWM prompted them about whether they wanted to retain CWM vs the stock recovery +/- root (?).

What do you mean with "sideloaded"?

Does it matter if I receive the OTA or if I download the .zip manually? And does it work with TWRP or do I need the stock recovery?

/Söder

CMNein

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary
What do you mean with "sideloaded"?

Does it matter if I receive the OTA or if I download the .zip manually? And does it work with TWRP or do I need the stock recovery?

/Söder

adb sideload

You can flash the zip with TWRP, but it will fail if you've renamed/deleted any stock system apps.

yokken

Dec 29, 2010
Really wanted to update while at work, but I uninstalled Play Magazines, Currents, all that BS that comes on the phone. I'll wait until it's merged into another build, or flash the stock image when I get home. I wonder if it will fix my Wi-Fi woes...

Post 420 yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

soder

Mar 19, 2010
adb sideload

You can flash the zip with TWRP, but it will fail if you've renamed/deleted any stock system apps.

Well I haven't removed anything myself. I've installed SuperSU, that other stuff that comes with root, some security app, and ALSA,

EDIT: Do I just flash it in TWRP like any other .zip?

/Söder

CMNein

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary
Well I haven't removed anything myself. I've installed SuperSU, that other stuff that comes with root, some security app, and ALSA,

/Söder

You should be okay then. Just be ready to reflash your recovery via fastboot and SuperSU if needed. I'm not sure if TWRP prompts you about the recovery/root change.

Jul 16, 2010
I'm stock, rooted, twrp recovery and did the following to update and retain root:

1. Download, install and run ota rootkeeper
2. Select backup root
3. Boot into twrp root recovery and flash zip file from post #3
4. Reboot phone
5. Open ota rootkeeper and select restore root
6. Voila!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys found this in Nexus 7 forum on trouble with sideload method. But works great to get your OTA notification! After clearing data, check system update. :)

Thank the poster for this..

Guys forget everything about sideload the update... there's a little trick which force your devices to get it ota

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

i should do it 4 times before it worked :D :good:
    I forced the update on mine by force stopping Google Framework Services and the clearing it's cache, went back to system update click check now (according to the phone I had not checked since January 1st 1970 lol) and it popped straight up. Try it.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Or what if you're rooted, unlocked and CWM :p

I want to know what you do if you're rooted, unlocked, CWM and need the bathroom? :D
    Quick instructions if you are stock, unrooted without CWM. You MUST have unlocked your bootloader and have ADB (Android SDK installed) already for this to work.

1. Download this to your computer -> http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-occam-JOP40D-from-JOP40C.625f5f7c.zip

2. Turn off your phone

3. Hold down Volume - and Power to get into Fastboot

4. Scroll down to Recovery and enter.

5. On the No Command Android screen hold Power and Volume + to get to menu. Might take a few attempts to get timing right

6. On the menu select Update from ADB

7. Connect your phone to computer with USB

8. On computer type "adb sideload 625f5f7c6524.signed-occam-JOP40D-from-JOP40C.625f5f7c.zip"

9. You should then see this output: "sending: 'sideload' 100%"

10. Your phone screen will say System Update or something and it will install the OTA.

Once done just select reboot in recovery and you're done. You can use this method for ALL future OTAs - all you need is the update zip. This works on all Nexus including Nexus 7, assuming Nexus 10 and GNexus.

No longer need to wait for OTAs. Enjoy!