[Q] Nexus 5 Backlight Bleed - Opinions?

Search This thread

yerbamata

Jan 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just got my 32GB Nexus 5 from Google Play. As the title suggests, there is some backlight bleed in the upper left hand corner as some others have reported. No other issues I can see though. I am still deciding whether to RMA. It is noticeable only really on dark backgrounds. Have you have this issue? Would you/did you RMA it?

Here is a picture:

View attachment 2537324

Thanks,
Dave

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Just got my 32GB Nexus 5 from Google Play. As the title suggests, there is some backlight bleed in the upper left hand corner as some others have reported. No other issues I can see though. I am still deciding whether to RMA. It is noticeable only really on dark backgrounds. Have you have this issue? Would you/did you RMA it?

Here is a picture:

View attachment 2537324

Thanks,
Dave

Nope. That's way too tiny to RMA. All IPS screens have some amount of light bleed. And if that's the only issue, you don't want to get more :p

Reactions: yerbamata

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto

Here is a picture:

View attachment 2537324

Thanks,
Dave

Hi yerbamata, that's certainly not the worst bleed I've seen but it looks like it could be fairly distracting. Now of course on lower brightness it isn't going to be as noticeable, but it's completely up to you whether it's acceptable or not as Google will accept RMA if you're not happy.

More importantly, are those 3 stuck pixels near the middle of your screen?

yerbamata

Jan 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hi yerbamata, that's certainly not the worst bleed I've seen but it looks like it could be fairly distracting. Now of course on lower brightness it isn't going to be as noticeable, but it's completely up to you whether it's acceptable or not as Google will accept RMA if you're not happy.

Good eye, I had to go back and check again. Those must be artifact from my old camera I used to take the picture. I checked again and definitely no dead/stuck pixels. But I do notice the backlight bleed when I pull down the google menu thing from the top (don't know what it's called), using the calculator, etc. So I guess I'll have to give it a week and see if I get used to it.

How common is this issue? It seems fairly common from what I've read, almost as if you're in the minority if you get one without bleed.

Also does anyone know how long Google accepts an RMA after initial delivery?

Thanks

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Before you RMA, just know that every Nexus 5 I have seen in person has the slight light bleed at the top left corner.

This also coincides with the majority of the users on here.

I would save the trouble and just enjoy your phone. It's a great device.

Sent from my Nexus 5

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
It's common around the volume buttons but to widely various degrees. For me it's more noticeable at the bottom left where the black navigation bar is always lurking, but only when the brightness is cranked realistically.There were a few posts from people who had their top left corner lit up like a spotlight.

You can RMA your device during the 1 year warranty, and Google will cross ship you a new device so you're not without a phone though temporarily charging you for it. People have used this as an opportunity to inspect and compare the new device before returning whichever they choose.

I'd say some are taking advantage of this somewhat trying to get a "perfect" device, but if you're not happy with the phone Google is willing to work with you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is a picture:

View attachment 2537324

Thanks,
    Dave

Nope. That's way too tiny to RMA. All IPS screens have some amount of light bleed. And if that's the only issue, you don't want to get more :p

Here is a picture:

View attachment 2537324

Thanks,
    Dave

Before you RMA, just know that every Nexus 5 I have seen in person has the slight light bleed at the top left corner.

This also coincides with the majority of the users on here.

I would save the trouble and just enjoy your phone. It's a great device.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    It's common around the volume buttons but to widely various degrees. For me it's more noticeable at the bottom left where the black navigation bar is always lurking, but only when the brightness is cranked realistically.There were a few posts from people who had their top left corner lit up like a spotlight.

You can RMA your device during the 1 year warranty, and Google will cross ship you a new device so you're not without a phone though temporarily charging you for it. People have used this as an opportunity to inspect and compare the new device before returning whichever they choose.

I'd say some are taking advantage of this somewhat trying to get a "perfect" device, but if you're not happy with the phone Google is willing to work with you.