[GUIDE] Unlock Bootloader for T-Mobile L90 (D415)

Search This thread

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
First off, you need to be in ADB Shell by typing in "ADB Shell" your command window. Then you type su to get root privileges. You can see if the device is working by typing in first "ADB devices", then you would see something like LG with a bunch of numbers and letters. If you don't see it then you either need the drivers for the phone or you need to enable USB debugging under developer options. To get developer menu you need to go to about device under settings and tap the build number a bunch of times. Eventually you'll get a message that counts down until you unlock the developer menu. Just keep hitting it.

If anything else you might not even have the Android SDK to get the ADB or Fastboot tools.
I also have a minimal adb package available to download. Go to d-h.st and search my username. The package is named something like adb_1.0.31.zip and is for Windows only. It only contains the adb and fastboot executables and support dll's.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

kalaishere

Feb 25, 2012
Chennai
Complete NOOB Question.. Sorry!

I'm from India..
Got LG Optimus L90 D415 T-Mobile from USA.. 3G is not working in India..

Wants to Install Cyanogen MOD in my mobile.. I downloaded the ROM from XDA..

I rooted with TOWELROOT app successfully..

After that I don't know anything.. I read some posts, but confused which steps to do after rooting..

Plz some1 guide me STEP-BY-STEP ..

mapolidori

Aug 1, 2013
After I have unlocked the bootloader, do I have to use the laf.img backup? Are there any steps after the ones listed above? Will I be able to just boot back up?

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

And do I need to switch back to download mode after I unlock the bootloader? If so, how would I go about doing that? Thanks.

JTC3

May 8, 2014
I'm from India..
Got LG Optimus L90 D415 T-Mobile from USA.. 3G is not working in India..

Wants to Install Cyanogen MOD in my mobile.. I downloaded the ROM from XDA..

I rooted with TOWELROOT app successfully..

After that I don't know anything.. I read some posts, but confused which steps to do after rooting..

Plz some1 guide me STEP-BY-STEP ..

I want to know this too. I rooted with towel root, I heard the D415 is factory unlocked. My only worry is do I have to do anything else before flashing a custom recovery?

mapolidori

Aug 1, 2013
If you have the D415, you can swap the stock recovery with custom recovery. I don't know if the bootloader is locked or not, but I rooted with towelroot and flashed custom recovery with no problems. I did NOT go through the steps to unlock my bootloader. I don't have a custom ROM, but I have custom recovery, and that's good enough for me to mess around with for the time being.

Reactions: JTC3

JTC3

May 8, 2014
If you have the D415, you can swap the stock recovery with custom recovery. I don't know if the bootloader is locked or not, but I rooted with towelroot and flashed custom recovery with no problems. I did NOT go through the steps to unlock my bootloader. I don't have a custom ROM, but I have custom recovery, and that's good enough for me to mess around with for the time being.

Alright! Thanks man!

mapolidori

Aug 1, 2013
The only issue you might run into is twrp apparently isn't recognizing some external or internal storage. I didn't have that issue. I don't know if it has to do with how I have my sd card partitioned. I have the main partition fat32, and the smaller partition is ext2, I think.

JTC3

May 8, 2014
The only issue you might run into is twrp apparently isn't recognizing some external or internal storage. I didn't have that issue. I don't know if it has to do with how I have my sd card partitioned. I have the main partition fat32, and the smaller partition is ext2, I think.

Alright, I was thinking of using CWM. Also, do you have to enable fastboot before using the custom recovery?

mapolidori

Aug 1, 2013
Alright, I was thinking of using CWM. Also, do you have to enable fastboot before using the custom recovery?
I usually prefer cwm. I only went with twrp because I saw more posts saying that it worked, except for the touchscreen issue. I didn't enable fastboot. The only thing I did before swapping the recovery is root with towelroot. If you use cwm, let me know if it works without any issues! Also, after you swap the recovery, when you go into recovery from the phone being off, it will appear as stock recovery until you say yes twice. As long as you replaced your stock recovery properly, it will take you to the custom recovery. It's scary until the custom recovery screen pops up. Haha

Reactions: JTC3

JTC3

May 8, 2014
I usually prefer cwm. I only went with twrp because I saw more posts saying that it worked, except for the touchscreen issue. I didn't enable fastboot. The only thing I did before swapping the recovery is root with towelroot. If you use cwm, let me know if it works without any issues! Also, after you swap the recovery, when you go into recovery from the phone being off, it will appear as stock recovery until you say yes twice. As long as you replaced your stock recovery properly, it will take you to the custom recovery. It's scary until the custom recovery screen pops up. Haha

hahaha!! thanks for explaining that! I'll let you know! ;)

danny_android

Mar 14, 2014
I'm completely lost.

Sorry for the really ignorant questions here guys.
I got this phone yesterday, and I didn't like the UI of the phone so, I wanted to flash a custom ROM onto the phone. I rooted the phone via towelroot, and now I attempted to follow through with the instructions on this thread, but it seems to me that I don't really know how to proceed from here. I don't even know how to get the laf.img file from my phone as a backup. I have done all of this before on a Galaxy S2, but since this is LG I have no clue of what to do, and also if it helps, I recieved the phone through the family plan from walmart.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

bmann_420

Nov 17, 2010
Seattle
SuperCentral.net
@ danny, if it helps I have had a few issue also. Enough to make me wanna shoot this thing now.

But I have done this for years even themed a few roms but this little driver issue im assuming, is causing me pain. First off thank you to shinobisofts fastboot, took me a lil bit to even get that running. I have had to uninstall / reinstall the drivers about 3 times now, then find out how to debug and ad the dev options for adb to recognize the phone (Link to debug. So I got happy for about 2 minutes until I got into the fastboot and windows7 wanted to install the driver for "Android" again but in that stage. I told it to search in the LG folder that I ended up downloading from LGD415RD Since the phone driver installer doesnt want to work properly for me. And it did not find a driver in their, so I went back into device drivers and updated it with the 'windows update search" and it found one, installed it but adb doesn't recognize the device still in fastboot mode. So thats where I'm at, if anybody can help or point out the stupid mistake I did or overlooked that would be great!

Im only doing this for my son since now he is failing school and i want cm with no google, or use my TB and freeze the play store and a few other things to make this phone very limited for him. I'll end up just getting him a flip phone until his grades go up, but until then, hes got this.

I have a D415 from T-mobile

Last edited:

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
@ danny, if it helps I have had a few issue also. Enough to make me wanna shoot this thing now.

But I have done this for years even themed a few roms but this little driver issue im assuming, is causing me pain. First off thank you to shinobisofts fastboot, took me a lil bit to even get that running. I have had to uninstall / reinstall the drivers about 3 times now, then find out how to debug and ad the dev options for adb to recognize the phone (Link to debug. So I got happy for about 2 minutes until I got into the fastboot and windows7 wanted to install the driver for "Android" again but in that stage. I told it to search in the LG folder that I ended up downloading from LGD415RD Since the phone driver installer doesnt want to work properly for me. And it did not find a driver in their, so I went back into device drivers and updated it with the 'windows update search" and it found one, installed it but adb doesn't recognize the device still in fastboot mode. So thats where I'm at, if anybody can help or point out the stupid mistake I did or overlooked that would be great!

Im only doing this for my son since now he is failing school and i want cm with no google, or use my TB and freeze the play store and a few other things to make this phone very limited for him. I'll end up just getting him a flip phone until his grades go up, but until then, hes got this.

I have a D415 from T-mobile

Adb won't recognize a device that's in fastboot mode. And unlocking the bootloader is not required for the D415. This thread was created before we determined the bootloader was already unlocked out of the box.

krchi

Dec 11, 2012
Yea just skip this D415 is already unlocked out of the box I can also confirm this.

LupineDream

Sep 6, 2010
Kersey
I'll just leave this here.

attachment.php

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Just wanted to chime in here along with everyone else (and thanks again to the OP for putting the info in a nice concise post). I've read through everything, and I keep seeing repeated mentions that the D415 is bootloader unlocked out of the box and I'm here to report in my case it was locked - I just got a brand new D415 tonight price-matched at Best Buy for $49.99 - and I just took a peek at the device info using the instructions in the OP of this thread and... well, the pic speaks for itself so I unlocked it with the very next command:

H6D1730.png

So, perhaps many folks have acquired L90's in the box and gotten lucky with them being already unlocked which is awesome, I just wanted to chime in and say that mine was locked but obviously that took all of 0.012 seconds to rectify. Now to get to the fun stuff... ;)

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Just wanted to chime in here along with everyone else (and thanks again to the OP for putting the info in a nice concise post). I've read through everything, and I keep seeing repeated mentions that the D415 is bootloader unlocked out of the box and I'm here to report in my case it was locked - I just got a brand new D415 tonight price-matched at Best Buy for $49.99 - and I just took a peek at the device info using the instructions in the OP of this thread and... well, the pic speaks for itself so I unlocked it with the very next command:

H6D1730.png

So, perhaps many folks have acquired L90's in the box and gotten lucky with them being already unlocked which is awesome, I just wanted to chime in and say that mine was locked but obviously that took all of 0.012 seconds to rectify. Now to get to the fun stuff... ;)

Trust me and everyone else here that has said that the bootloader is unlocked out of the box. IT IS UNLOCKED. Granted "fastboot oem device-info" reports it's LOCKED but IT IS UNLOCKED. ;)

bassic

Jul 13, 2010

H6D1730.png

My D415 was the same way. Locked or unlocked, fastboot was reporting it as locked so I followed the steps in this thread. Not sure if it was needed or not but I did it and was able to flash a custom recovery (TWRP) which is needed to flash a new ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick Note, I'm not taking credit for these guides, I'm basically putting them in one thread :good:

Now this is of course assuming you're already rooted with TowelRoot, have LG Device Drivers installed and have adb installed, (I recommend @shinobisoft's adb/fastboot zip package if you dont want to install the whole sdk) Link to it---> http://d-h.st/WqR

Now to use it just extract it to your desktop and in the folder Hold Shift + Right click and open a command prompt, and there you go a mini adb package ;)

Alrighty so lets get started!

Entering Fastboot Thanks to @LaDY Vengeance;)

The LG L90 does have fastboot, but it's hiding "behind" LG Download mode.

Once again, this assumes you've already rooted manually or with Towelroot and know what adb/fastboot is.

First, backup your LG Download mode (laf) with this code, so you can use LG Flash if necessary.

(Backup will be saved as laf.img on your internal SD Card)

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/sdcard/laf.img.

Now run the following code to zero out laf:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf

adb reboot

For whatever reason, you won't be able to access fastboot via "reboot to bootloader" like most phones, so you've got to do a key combo:

Power Off
    Unplug USB
    Hold Volume Up
    Plug in USB

There you go, access to fastboot, :D

Now for the actual bootloader unlocking! Found out by @androidguy1991

While you're in fastboot, type/copy past this command,

fastboot oem unlock

then after that type/copy paste this command to make sure you are unlocked,

fastboot oem device-info

and you should now see this text after,

... INFO Device tampered: false
    INFO Device unlocked: true
    INFO Charger screen enabled: false
    OKAY

CONGRATS YOU HAVE NOW SUCCESSFULLY UNLOCKED YOUR T-MOBILE L90 BOOTLOADER! :victory::victory:

And again, I'm not taking credit for the guides, just wanted to put them all in one thread ;)
    This was so needed here! Thank you! [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
    Aha no problem, thank you for figuring out how to get fastboot ?
    Absolutely awesome work by @LaDY Vengeance and @androidguy1991:good::good::good:

And thanks to @aSuperSaiyanG0D for creating this great thread!

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Ha! "Sorry, you are limited to 8 thanks per day" But today is a "thankgiving" day for all the great development going on round here! smh
    :victory: Worked flawlessly. Thank you. Now to flash cwm finally! :p