[HOWTO] Reproduce screen issue (updated 3x results of detailed testing) some phones

Search This thread

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
Yes you are right, they are very close, the processors also seem to be nearly the same too just slightly different snapdragon variants, the only thing really different is the rear speaker placement.

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
Do you guys think that this is a problem within the electronics of the phones using the 1.5Ghz processors, or just due to a problem in the screen manufacturing process for the larger screens?

princeasi

Sep 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That was the G2X spec sheet not the G2S its the T989 that has conflicting sources on the gorilla glass.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

If anyone is interested I know someone involved in a Houston area hacker space who can put up a bounty on finding the problem in the g2s screen. They have many hardware hackers / engineers there and every diagnostic tool you can think of from P.C. board etching systems to data loggers, oscilloscopes, frequency / pattern generators to microscopes . . . It may be something as simple as lack of current.

I think we've had enough of the bounties lol, what happened to "doing it for the love of it"?......plus supercurio and another has already touched up on the issue.

I'm just sayin!

Last edited:
Reactions: xsteven77x

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
Great to hear

Interesting that my white sg2 the screen is perfect. Perhaps they fix it in the white version.

Apparently some models suffer and some don't. It is not isolated to a particular color. Are you sure you followed Cheema's testing direction properly?

Are you talking about the vertical lines issue or blobs?

Did you use a grey background?

What is your phone production date?

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

The guys in the galleria mall T-mobile corporate store did say that there were some flawless displays in some models.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

In some cases the white ones have been the worst.

princeasi

Sep 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Are they not software hackers only? I was talking about hardware only guys.

If the hardware guys want to do it without a bounty then i'm all for it, but raising a bounty just to find out if the problem is hardware or not doesn't make sense to me, especially when we have supercurio working on a workaround to the issues. Basically supercurio already stated that the lines and blobs are a hardware issue. Also there's another thread stating that the blobs are what you call "Mura" which is a hardware issue. The bounty for supercurio made sense because at least, he can possibly develop a software fix to mask the problem. Why should we give money to a group that will basically prove or tell us what's already been said?

I'm just sayin!

jongie123

Aug 13, 2009
Sunshine State
Apparently some models suffer and some don't. It is not isolated to a particular color. Are you sure you followed Cheema's testing direction properly?

Are you talking about the vertical lines issue or blobs?

Did you use a grey background?

What is your phone production date?

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

The guys in the galleria mall T-mobile corporate store did say that there were some flawless displays in some models.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

In some cases the white ones have been the worst.
I only did the blobs test,and of course they are some blops and vertical lines like all Amoled screens,but the color reproduction is very good,and they are almost unnotice (yeah yeah forgot the word).I dont know the production date.

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
If the hardware guys want to do it without a bounty then i'm all for it, but raising a bounty just to find out if the problem is hardware or not doesn't make sense to me, especially when we have supercurio working on a workaround to the issues. Basically supercurio already stated that the lines and blobs are a hardware issue. Also there's another thread stating that the blobs are what you call "Mura" which is a hardware issue. The bounty for supercurio made sense because at least, he can possibly develop a software fix to mask the problem. Why should we give money to a group that will basically prove or tell us what's already been said?

I'm just sayin!

Thank you for that info. Can you post a link to the thread?

To answer your question:

The reason for the bounty is to provide incentive. These guys don't really do much for money; the money goes to the open source/open hardware community anyways. Most the hardware hacker type guys also don't care much for high end phones like we do. They are busy working on open designs for 3d printers, repairing x-ray machines for 3rd world countries, arduino projects . . .

Furthermore, if the issue is as simple as for instance replacing a resistor or voltage regulator then it is a fix most of us can benefit from. Most of us are either technically inclined enough to do some surface mount soldering / de-soldering or know someone who can. I have seen these guys do some amazing stuff.

Last edited:

nexus14

May 9, 2010
I have the T-mobile model, the T989.

This is what I did in an attempt to replicate the OP's situation:

1) Turn off auto brightness, set brightness to lowest setting
2) Downloaded this image onto my phone: http://cheema.com/blobs.jpg
3) Viewed it using "Gallery" app
4) When I look at it, it looks like phones #1 and #3 located here: http://cheema.com/TearsOfS2/BlobsTestHumanViewableLarge.jpg

I suppose I am lucky?

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. For step 2), I opened the file on my desktop just to see what it looked like and it was just a small "black" rectangle, approx. half the size of an XDA avatar. Maybe the wrong file got uploaded?

Last edited:
Reactions: shnn2011

shnn2011

Nov 25, 2011
Houston
I have the T-mobile model, the T989.

This is what I did in an attempt to replicate the OP's situation:

1) Turn off auto brightness, set brightness to lowest setting
2) Downloaded this image onto my phone: http://cheema.com/blobs.jpg
3) Viewed it using "Gallery" app
4) When I look at it, it looks like phones #1 and #3 located here: http://cheema.com/TearsOfS2/BlobsTestHumanViewableLarge.jpg

I suppose I am lucky?

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. For step 2), I opened the file on my desktop just to see what it looked like and it was just a small "black" rectangle, approx. half the size of an XDA avatar. Maybe the wrong file got uploaded?

Maybe you are lucky. Did u purchase the phone recently?

han-shinbi

Jul 1, 2010
Honolulu, HI
white one has same problems.

Hi folks, I bought the white version on 12/26/11 got it on 12/30/11 & didn't open it till today. Now I saw these lines & blobs at night. Even at 100% brightness! Most prominent line is on the right side of screen.
I got mines through customer care-I don't feel like paying to ship back to them. Plus i'm not sure if they will still honor the price. How do I get Samsung to fix/replace my handset? Do I have to pay?

Manufacture date on box says 12/14/11 made in China.

I found this thread after searching for Samsung galaxy 2 screen problems.

hyl4me

Nov 28, 2009
Hi folks, I bought the white version on 12/26/11 got it on 12/30/11 & didn't open it till today. Now I saw these lines & blobs at night. Even at 100% brightness! Most prominent line is on the right side of screen.
I got mines through customer care-I don't feel like paying to ship back to them. Plus i'm not sure if they will still honor the price. How do I get Samsung to fix/replace my handset? Do I have to pay?

Manufacture date on box says 12/14/11 made in China.

I found this thread after searching for Samsung galaxy 2 screen problems.

Read this thread if you have time. http://http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1300133

In short, you can contact Samsung support to send in for repair. Some sent in and got their display replaced and the draw of luck to have the new problem-free display. Currently stat for success is low. You can get more info by reading the thread.

han-shinbi

Jul 1, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Read this thread if you have time. http://http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1300133

In short, you can contact Samsung support to send in for repair. Some sent in and got their display replaced and the draw of luck to have the new problem-free display. Currently stat for success is low. You can get more info by reading the thread.
Do I have to go through T-mobile tech support first or can I contact them directly? Thanks for your reply.

Very frustrating- this might be the last time I order from customer care. If you have a problem with your phone in the grace period, you have to pay to ship it back and they do it as a refund, not exchange.

hyl4me

Nov 28, 2009
Do I have to go through T-mobile tech support first or can I contact them directly? Thanks for your reply.

Very frustrating- this might be the last time I order from customer care. If you have a problem with your phone in the grace period, you have to pay to ship it back and they do it as a refund, not exchange.

No, you don't have to contact T-mobile tech support first. You can contact Samsung directly, here is their phone #1-888-987-4357 from Samsung website. Some people contacted tmobile royalty department in the grace period and they sent the brand new replacement phone for them with no shipping fee. It also mentions in the thread above.

Don't forget to post your experience with tmobile or Samsung, so it could help other people.

Last edited:
Reactions: han-shinbi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update
    Feedback from many users of Samsung Galaxy S II phones appears to suggest that the display calibration problem is prevalent mostly in Qualcom based units. These include models from:

1. T-Mobile USA
    2. AT&T Skyrocket
    3. Telus Canada
    4. Rogers Canada

The Exynos based Samsung Galaxy S II phones are known to be calibrated considerably better. These include models from:

1. Sprint
    2. AT&T (non-Skyrocket model)
    3. International version
    End update

Many people are complaining about the quality of their T-Mobile SGSII displays. I noticed the problems myself and decided to perform some detailed testing.

Here is how you can reproduce the simple test:

1. Download the blobs.jpg to your phone. A copy of blobs.jpg is attached here. Or simply point the browser on your phone to: http://cheema.com/blobs.jpg Tap and hold the dark gray rectangle and then select "Save image" from the menu. Note that it is not entirely black. It is dark grey. Testing with a black screen gives you false hope that your display is good.
    2. Turn off automatic brightness and dial down the brightness all the way to make it as dark as possible. Go to Home->Settings->Display->Brightness.
    3. Open up the "Gallery" application and locate the blobs.jpg in the download folder and view it in a mostly dark room.

At this point you'll probably see a greenish display with vertical lines and dots all over. If you see this you have what some of us call a bad/non-calibrated display. Based on the data I have seen so far, I think that all T-Mobile Galaxy S II owners suffer from this. Most people believe they have a good display because they do not have a the equivalent Sprint phone to compare with.

Results of detailed testing of T-Mobile SGSII screen

I performed the detailed tests with a total of 4 units. 2 from T-Mobile and 2 from Sprint. I set all phones to identical brightness level (lowest) and proceeded to run a few screen tests.

1. Blobs test

For this test I used Gallery application to display the blobs.jpg file attached here. [Click the pictures to see the full size versions]

I slowed the camera shutter down good bit so that I could see details that are not be visible to the naked eye. One thing was pretty clear, the Sprint phones (#1 and #3) had imperfections too. Lines and blobs. This made me think that perhaps all Super Amoled displays have them. However the reason nobody sees them on Sprint phones is because their displays are properly calibrated with correct contrast, saturation and color temperature values.

This is pretty close to what you see with a naked eye:

2. Reading test

For this test, I simply loaded up a web page that I was reading earlier and found difficult to read on T-Mobile SGSII. http://alexzambelli.com/blog/2009/02/10/smooth-streaming-architecture/

This was the deal breaker for me. Click on the image above for the full size and the compare the last 2 phones. This problem cannot be fixed by cranking up brightness. As that brightens up the text too. And you want the text to stay black and sharp for good contrast.

3. Picture test

For this test, I grabbed a picture from Flickr and displayed it on all phones.

For this test, you probably should look at the larger shot, before drawing any conclusions. The smaller picture simply does not show enough detail.

While none of the phones in the picture test show entirely correct colors, the Sprint phones do a commendable job. "T-Mobile 2", goes off the deep end and shows the tree to be mostly green, when in reality it is mostly yellow.

4. Front camera test

For this test, all 4 phones were switched to front camera and the camera settings were reset to default. I then put the phones down on a table and took a picture with my Canon 60D. By now I was not expecting any miracles and I did not get any.

T-Mobile units continued to show that they were not loved by their creators. On a side note, I am beginning to think that the T-Mobile units may also have something wrong with the front cameras. I'll have to set aside some time to perform detailed front camera testing for comparison with the Sprint phone.

Conclusion

In an earlier post I stated my belief that all T-Mobile SGSII phones have screen problems that do not exist in the Sprint version. These tests with additional units back up that belief. There is no good way to explain the consistent bad performance of T-Mobile phones when compared to the Sprint phones. While we do find the lines and blobs present in the Sprint phones too, their presence is inconsequential. Proper calibration of the display masks these lines and blobs. The T-Mobile phones unfortunately suffer from incorrect display calibration. Some are much worse than the others. Many will continue to claim that their T-Mobile phones do not suffer from the same problems as the two units I tested here. While statements like "My phone looks OK to me" are well and good for the individual user, they are not scientific. I invite any skeptic to find a Sprint SGS2 and put their T-Mobile unit next to it and run these tests. And then come back and show us the results. I would genuinely be surprised and happy if any T-Mobile SGSII phone out there behaves differently from the ones I tested.

I do not know if the incorrect calibration can be fixed with a software update. I hope that it can be. It would certainly save an otherwise awesome phone.

I would be open to trying a different test with all 4 of these phones and compare output. Let me know if you have a specific test in mind. In the meantime, I will probably run a few more tests and will update this post with new data, as it comes in. I will also be happy to update this post, once anybody finds solid evidence of a single T-Mobile SGSII phone with a good display.

My hope with this post is that we raise awareness of the issue so that people building and shipping these phones wake up and fix the problem. If we continue to pretend that the problem does not exist, then it most certainly will not get fixed.

FYI: article on engadget http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/08/t-mobile-galaxy-s-ii-screen-issues-have-some-seeing-poorly-rend/
    @cheema thanks for the great analysis, and hi everyone!

And well... such a mess!
    No doubt Screen color work & profile has been really botched by the team who ported Galaxy S II Super AMOLED + driver to the Qualcomm platform.

Not the first time BTW. DROID Charge and Infuse 4G screen are a sloppy work as well (mostly fixed with my R&D work)

Note: I assume blobs are a limitation of the manufacturing process.
    Okay, I linked the thread and described the issue to my contacts @Samsung US and Korea.
    I love this. People will find ANYTHING to complain about, even if the phone is perfectly designed.

This phone has the clearest & most vibrant screen of any phone I have ever had. It crushes all other phones I have ever owned and makes my coworkers iPhone 4 and 4s screen look sub-par.

You can complain all you want but what do you expect to happen? T-Mobile sure as hell is not going to do anything. And getting it replaced with another one clearly isn't going to make a difference. Unless you plan on switching to Sprint (terrible idea) then I suggest you forget about it and move on to care about things that actually matter.
    ...I remember a time not too long ago when XDA-developers was a place where real, objective work was done...

The original post is about the most real and objective work on the topic of T-Mobile SGSII screen. If you know of any other similarly researched piece of information on this topic here in this forum or elsewhere, please point it out to us so that we can know what you are talking about.

It would also be very interesting to see anybody come up with something more solid than "My phone looks OK to me" to discount the original post. While such statements are well and good for the individual, they are not scientific.