[UTIL][PC][15.10.2010] ADB Magic v1.0

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
This is a BETA version and will have issues

About
I got tired of using ADB by hand for a lot of operations, and thought well hey let's write something for that. I know about DDMS and ADB Explorer, but they aren't always exactly what I want/need.

BETA
Yeah this is a beta version and will have issues.. No warranty, use at your own risk, etc. I'll try to update this in the future. I have a lot of ideas of things to add/improve/fix still.

Requirements and Recommendations

- Required: .Net 3.5 framework
- Required: A working "adb shell" setup

- Recommended: writable /sdcard
- Recommended: root (via su) - note that a lot of things should work without root, but I haven't done any extensive testing on that
- Recommended: busybox

Features

- (also root) Explorer
--- View / Edit files directly in Notepad (optionally converting dos<->unix newlines)
--- Retrieve / add / replace files
--- Rename / delete/ chmod/ chown / checksum
--- New directory / symlink
- Locate (find all filenames matching a certain string)
- ADB shell
- ADB logcat
- ADB (command log)
- Packages
--- Install package (system copy, user copy, ADB install, with or without ODEX, etc)
--- List / backup / remove user and system packages

Retrieving / viewing / editing / replacing / adding files all use workarounds to be able to do this to files that cannot be directly pushed/pulled by ADB, but this functionality does depend on busybox being available.

Donate!
Donations appreciated, you can do so here: http://www.jongma.org/dx.php

Install
Extract the ZIP and put the EXE in the same folder where you have ADB. Also make sure your phone is working with the normal "adb shell" command.

Usage notes
- Please make sure your device is connected in USB debug mode before using ADB Magic !
- Please make sure you do not have the SD cards mounted to your PC !

- This has been developed only with a Galaxy S, so I'm not sure how well it'll work with other devices :)

Download
<< 1.0, 625

Attachments

• ADBMagic-1.0.zip
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,728
Last edited:

jug6ernaut

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2006
San Antonio, Tx
Awesomesause, i would recommend reposting in the android dev forum ;)

edit: should have read ur post xD...

Last edited:

lodger

Mar 22, 2007
tewkesbury
I have to say i tryed it on my x10,, and great works good, this program has lots of promise, Thank you and top marks for the work so far keep it up...

HunteronX

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks for this really useful program. It works great on my X10i. :)

Last edited:

Presjar

Jan 30, 2010
Found an issue

Hey, ive found you cant ctrl+c in shell, when i was testing my bootanimation;

#bootanimation

you usually hit crtl+c to stop, in this case I could not, so I had to restart the phone.

Otherwise, looking really good so far hey! Keep up the good work! :)

HI Chainfire!

I love this app, it's great! I've stumbled across a problem though... I upgraded from JPC to JPK on the weekend and since then it hasn't been working, even after going back to JG4. All the times I've tried it, I've been rooted. It comes up with an error box that just says ! in it.

I haven't changed any of the adb files, and I can also use adb shell manually. Any ideas?

No worries!.

I moved it then ran ADBMagic so it could look for ADB, then put ADB back and selected it, still no luck. Also, I flashed back to JG4 then rooted and it still wouldn't work.

I also noticed that for some reason, it can't start the ADB server and issue the toolbox ls -l / command, even with busybox installed but it CAN see the live logging.

I'm stumped :S

-edit-

I got ADB File Explorer and tested it again. It works, but can't read all directories as it's not able to get su priveliges. I seem to remember the first time I used ADBMagic that SuperUser on the phone asked to allow ADBMagic... am I right or remembering badly? If so, it's not asking me to allow it anymore, across the different roms/roots. Strange.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a BETA version and will have issues

About
    I got tired of using ADB by hand for a lot of operations, and thought well hey let's write something for that. I know about DDMS and ADB Explorer, but they aren't always exactly what I want/need.

BETA
    Yeah this is a beta version and will have issues.. No warranty, use at your own risk, etc. I'll try to update this in the future. I have a lot of ideas of things to add/improve/fix still.

Requirements and Recommendations

- Required: .Net 3.5 framework
    - Required: A working "adb shell" setup

- Recommended: writable /sdcard
    - Recommended: root (via su) - note that a lot of things should work without root, but I haven't done any extensive testing on that
    - Recommended: busybox

Features

- (also root) Explorer
    --- View / Edit files directly in Notepad (optionally converting dos<->unix newlines)
    --- Retrieve / add / replace files
    --- Rename / delete/ chmod/ chown / checksum
    --- New directory / symlink
    - Locate (find all filenames matching a certain string)
    - ADB shell
    - ADB logcat
    - ADB (command log)
    - Packages
    --- Install package (system copy, user copy, ADB install, with or without ODEX, etc)
    --- List / backup / remove user and system packages

Retrieving / viewing / editing / replacing / adding files all use workarounds to be able to do this to files that cannot be directly pushed/pulled by ADB, but this functionality does depend on busybox being available.

Donate!
    Donations appreciated, you can do so here: http://www.jongma.org/dx.php

Install
    Extract the ZIP and put the EXE in the same folder where you have ADB. Also make sure your phone is working with the normal "adb shell" command.

Usage notes
    - Please make sure your device is connected in USB debug mode before using ADB Magic !
    - Please make sure you do not have the SD cards mounted to your PC !

- This has been developed only with a Galaxy S, so I'm not sure how well it'll work with other devices :)

Download
    << 1.0, 625
    very nice! works with xdandroid on tp1.