[Guide]Suggestion For S-off On 1.55 HBoot Using Ubuntu---Step by step with pictures

Search This thread

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
I see so many having problems trying to get S-off on the 1.55 HBoot. Some have had none but I've posted this response so many times I thought I'd make my own post and hopefully people's searches will direct them here and it helps them.
I am no developer or coder or anything but a techno junkie. I have no linux experience except what I've taught myself so be sure if this 47 year old, self taught mother can do this then anyone can.
Just take your time, pay attention to what you're doing, and read everything before you hit go.

I had no luck with rumrunner on Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1. Drivers were never right. Couldn't get rid of HTC one sync. So I finally got myself

(1) a copy of 32bit Ubuntu. NOT 64!! http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

(2) no need to install-boot into it as if trying it (IMAGE 3)

(3) grab rumrunner for Ubuntu (linux) http://rumrunner.us/

(4) drivers NOT needed

(5) turn off fastboot (IMAGE 2) You should also turn off any lockscreen security....

(6) turn on USB debugging in development settings (IMAGE 1) You should also turn off any lockscreen securtiy

(7) run rumrunner (instructions are on the rumrunner site) paying attention in case extra permissions are required by superuser http://rumrunner.us/instructions/ (See Ubuntu section below)

(8) sat back and watched the magic. Worked the first time.

I know others have had zero issues but some of us have had nothing but nightmares. This is who I'm sharing this for.
I hope it helps... Even just one!

Have fun all!

IF BY CHANCE YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH ADB OR FASTBOOT IN UBUNTU SEEING YOUR DEVICE, TYPE sudo BEFORE YOUR COMMANDS. IT WANTS PERMISSION TO ACCEPT YOUR COMMANDS. WHEN YOU TYPE sudo THEN YOUR PASSWORD YOU ARE GRANTING THOSE PERMISSIONS. SOMETIMES THE ISSUE WON'T APPEAR TIL YOU GET INTO FASTBOOT. SO CHECK FIRST BY TYPING IN adb devices WHEN YOU FIRST OPEN THE TERMINAL. IF YOU GET A SERIAL NUMBER YOU SHOULD BE FINE. AFTER YOU GET INTO BOOTLOADER, TYPE fastboot devices IF YOU GET A "no permission" ERROR THEN YOU NEED TO TYPE sudo BEFORE all INSTRUCTIONS. SOME VERSIONS OF LINUX HAVE AN SU TERMINAL. THAT WOULD BE THE BEST TO USE AS IT REQUIRES ROOT/PERMISSION TO EVEN START AND WILL MAINTAIN THOSE PERMISSIONS THROUGHOUT.​

UBUNTU STEPS.....

Image 3- Boot into Ubuntu

Image 4- Download Linux version of rumrunner

Image 5- Extract Rumrunner (Right click on the zip and select extract here...I left it in the Downloads folder)

Image 6- Inside the extracted Rumrunner file

Image 7- Open Terminal in Ubuntu (Top left gear like symbol, click it and a search bar will appear, start typing terminal, it will appear below the bar, just select it)

Image 8- You need to install adb fastboot these are the instructions you need to type in the terminal you just opened. Type one line at a time and press enter after each. Allow Ubuntu to do it's stuff.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Image 9-12 Shows how the terminal should look as it finds, downloads and install the appropriate files.

Image 13- After the downloads are finish you can check to make sure things were installed correctly. Type “adb” and your screen should look like this

Image 14- Type “fastboot” and this is the information that should appear.

Image 15- To make sure your device is seen type “adb devices” and it should show devices with a serial number.

Image 16- Now make your way in the terminal to your downloads folder and into the rumrunner folder by typing the following BOLDED commands in the terminal

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd Downloads
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ cd rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads/rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0$
(This line simply indicates you are in the rumrunner folder)

Image 17- Now you need to run the command to get the party started...it is in bold

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads/rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0$ sudo ./soju

Image 18- Confirm you understand what it is you're doing or at the very least you are willing and accept the risks by typing “Yes”. It must be “Yes”. It will not accept yes, y, ok or anything else. The Y must be a captial.

Image 19- After you type Yes the second time things get under way. Be patient. It may take a bit of time. Just pay attention in case you are asked for extra permissions.

Image 20- S-Off verification

After the second Yes rumrunner does it's stuff...it can take a while. Be patient. Pay attention in case you need to give permission. DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE until you either get the ok or are told it failed.

This is as clear as I can be and I hope it makes it even easier....

Suggested by @chp , you may need to go into software centre (selected by opening the search bar again and typing software centre), edit tab, software resources and making sure that "Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe)" is selected.

ALSO, PLEASE GIVE CREDIT IF YOU USE THIS. FEEL FREE TO SHARE IT, JUST LET PEOPLE KNOW WHO ACTUALLY TOOK THE TIME TO CREATE IT. UNLIKE THIS PERSON... http://www.usofttech.com/t152630.html , WHO HAS EVEN TURNED OFF REGISTRATION SO I CAN'T EVEN MAKE IT KNOWN THERE.

THANK YOU!! :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 751
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 750
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 837
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 753
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 689
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 619
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 584
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 577
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 581
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 543
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 544
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 570
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 544
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 512
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 477
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 462
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 499
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
I see so many having problems trying to get S-off on the 1.55 HBoot.
Some have had none but I've posted this response so many times I thought I'd make my own post and hopefully people's searches will direct them here and it helps them.

I had no luck with rumrunner on Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1. Drivers were never right. Couldn't get rid of HTC one sync. So I finally got myself

(1) a copy of 32bit Ubuntu. NOT 64!!

I like what your doing here

the instructions on the rumrunner site are very vague and it took me quit sometime just to figure those things out when you know very little about linux.

Last edited:
Reactions: tobesedated

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
OMG!! Yes I did...and now I shall update for that as well...Thank you so much for ponting that out

Keep up the good work :), and thanks for helping!!!

in case this helps save you some time:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Reactions: tobesedated

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
Keep up the good work :), and thanks for helping!!!

in case this helps save you some time:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Awesome thanks and I just went through a partial run of rumrunner's so I could get the screenshots lol

And it's my pleasure

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
Op updated!!

Original post has been updated. Added instructions to download and install adb and fastboot in Ubuntu. More pics too LOL YAY!!

Good luck everyone...feel free to hit thanks if you get anything out of this​

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
Nice work on this guide and thanks for taking the time to write it up :)

By the way, I've moved this into General as it's more suited there and won't get buried within the forum quite as quickly :)

Regards,
- KidCarter93
Forum Moderator

Thank you... I wondered where it went lol

Sent from my LG-D803 using xda app-developers app

skedone

Aug 19, 2006
how is this working on 64b ubuntu as im all ready rocking 13.10 on my laptop and dont want to reinstall just for this

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
how is this working on 64b ubuntu as im all ready rocking 13.10 on my laptop and dont want to reinstall just for this

You don't have to install... You select try from a disc. You can try on 64 but according to rumrunner site it isn't supported. Doesn't mean it won't work just that if it doesn't they can't help you

I just ran through this myself, after having no luck in Windows. One thing that's missing... you need to enable 'universe' in Software Center.

Open dash and type software center
On the Edit menu, select Software Sources and enable "Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe)"
Then, you'll be able to install the android tools.

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
I just ran through this myself, after having no luck in Windows. One thing that's missing... you need to enable 'universe' in Software Center.

On the Edit menu, select Software Sources and enable "Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe)"

Thanks for that in case anyone needs to do this... I didn't. I followed exactly as in my OP but this is a good to know in case someone runs into issues.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut

Original Post updated to include a suggestion by @chp ...thank you. And a little rant by me lol

Have a good one all!!​

I think that's needed for 13.10 right? on 12.04 LTS, the other repository should work fine. (at least it does for me)
cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see so many having problems trying to get S-off on the 1.55 HBoot. Some have had none but I've posted this response so many times I thought I'd make my own post and hopefully people's searches will direct them here and it helps them.
    I am no developer or coder or anything but a techno junkie. I have no linux experience except what I've taught myself so be sure if this 47 year old, self taught mother can do this then anyone can.
    Just take your time, pay attention to what you're doing, and read everything before you hit go.

(1) a copy of 32bit Ubuntu. NOT 64!! http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

(2) no need to install-boot into it as if trying it (IMAGE 3)

(3) grab rumrunner for Ubuntu (linux) http://rumrunner.us/

(4) drivers NOT needed

(5) turn off fastboot (IMAGE 2) You should also turn off any lockscreen security....

(6) turn on USB debugging in development settings (IMAGE 1) You should also turn off any lockscreen securtiy

(7) run rumrunner (instructions are on the rumrunner site) paying attention in case extra permissions are required by superuser http://rumrunner.us/instructions/ (See Ubuntu section below)

(8) sat back and watched the magic. Worked the first time.

I know others have had zero issues but some of us have had nothing but nightmares. This is who I'm sharing this for.
    I hope it helps... Even just one!

Have fun all!

IF BY CHANCE YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH ADB OR FASTBOOT IN UBUNTU SEEING YOUR DEVICE, TYPE sudo BEFORE YOUR COMMANDS. IT WANTS PERMISSION TO ACCEPT YOUR COMMANDS. WHEN YOU TYPE sudo THEN YOUR PASSWORD YOU ARE GRANTING THOSE PERMISSIONS. SOMETIMES THE ISSUE WON'T APPEAR TIL YOU GET INTO FASTBOOT. SO CHECK FIRST BY TYPING IN adb devices WHEN YOU FIRST OPEN THE TERMINAL. IF YOU GET A SERIAL NUMBER YOU SHOULD BE FINE. AFTER YOU GET INTO BOOTLOADER, TYPE fastboot devices IF YOU GET A "no permission" ERROR THEN YOU NEED TO TYPE sudo BEFORE all INSTRUCTIONS. SOME VERSIONS OF LINUX HAVE AN SU TERMINAL. THAT WOULD BE THE BEST TO USE AS IT REQUIRES ROOT/PERMISSION TO EVEN START AND WILL MAINTAIN THOSE PERMISSIONS THROUGHOUT.​

UBUNTU STEPS.....

Image 3- Boot into Ubuntu

Image 4- Download Linux version of rumrunner

Image 5- Extract Rumrunner (Right click on the zip and select extract here...I left it in the Downloads folder)

Image 6- Inside the extracted Rumrunner file

Image 7- Open Terminal in Ubuntu (Top left gear like symbol, click it and a search bar will appear, start typing terminal, it will appear below the bar, just select it)

Image 8- You need to install adb fastboot these are the instructions you need to type in the terminal you just opened. Type one line at a time and press enter after each. Allow Ubuntu to do it's stuff.

sudo apt-get update

Image 9-12 Shows how the terminal should look as it finds, downloads and install the appropriate files.

Image 13- After the downloads are finish you can check to make sure things were installed correctly. Type “adb” and your screen should look like this

Image 14- Type “fastboot” and this is the information that should appear.

Image 15- To make sure your device is seen type “adb devices” and it should show devices with a serial number.

Image 16- Now make your way in the terminal to your downloads folder and into the rumrunner folder by typing the following BOLDED commands in the terminal

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd Downloads
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ cd rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads/rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0$
    (This line simply indicates you are in the rumrunner folder)

Image 17- Now you need to run the command to get the party started...it is in bold

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Downloads/rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0$ sudo ./soju

Image 18- Confirm you understand what it is you're doing or at the very least you are willing and accept the risks by typing “Yes”. It must be “Yes”. It will not accept yes, y, ok or anything else. The Y must be a captial.

Image 19- After you type Yes the second time things get under way. Be patient. It may take a bit of time. Just pay attention in case you are asked for extra permissions.

Image 20- S-Off verification

After the second Yes rumrunner does it's stuff...it can take a while. Be patient. Pay attention in case you need to give permission. DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE until you either get the ok or are told it failed.

This is as clear as I can be and I hope it makes it even easier....

Suggested by @chp , you may need to go into software centre (selected by opening the search bar again and typing software centre), edit tab, software resources and making sure that "Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe)" is selected.

ALSO, PLEASE GIVE CREDIT IF YOU USE THIS. FEEL FREE TO SHARE IT, JUST LET PEOPLE KNOW WHO ACTUALLY TOOK THE TIME TO CREATE IT. UNLIKE THIS PERSON... http://www.usofttech.com/t152630.html , WHO HAS EVEN TURNED OFF REGISTRATION SO I CAN'T EVEN MAKE IT KNOWN THERE.

THANK YOU!! :)

I see so many having problems trying to get S-off on the 1.55 HBoot.
    Some have had none but I've posted this response so many times I thought I'd make my own post and hopefully people's searches will direct them here and it helps them.

(1) a copy of 32bit Ubuntu. NOT 64!!

I like what your doing here

the instructions on the rumrunner site are very vague and it took me quit sometime just to figure those things out when you know very little about linux.
    original post updated with more concise instructions and pictures.....the easiest way to show the steps i took​
    thx miss..your thread is so amazing..
    big thx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app