Help - how to set GPRS authentication type on 61x

Search This thread

chan200606

Feb 2, 2008
Brisbane
Is there a way to set the GPRS authentication on a 61x to PAP and disable CHAP?

I have been unable to connect to a wireless broadband service because it requires PAP but the 61x appears to default to CHAP with no way to change it to PAP. Spent some time this afternoon on the HP instant support, only to be told that they had not included an UI for this in the 600 series and had no intention of putting it back either!

sergiorus

Sep 7, 2008
Tallinn
Dont know is it working on our device or not, but test AdvancedNetwork. I extracted it from HTC Iolite rom

chan200606

Feb 2, 2008
Brisbane
Dont know is it working on our device or not, but test AdvancedNetwork. I extracted it from HTC Iolite rom

Hi Sergiorus,

Thanks for the file. I have copied it to my 612c and run the exe from there. It however gave me a 3-tabbed screen, all blank except for but bullets or drop-down lists (no description against each). Looks like the program cannot find the data containing the text descriptions.

Does the program run on your machine, and are there other files that might be part of the package?

Thanks again for the help,
Alfred

sergiorus

Sep 7, 2008
Tallinn
There are two files in zip archive .exe and .mui, copy two files to any folder and run exe. (mui and exe should be in one folder)

chan200606

Feb 2, 2008
Brisbane
There are two files in zip archive .exe and .mui, copy two files to any folder and run exe. (mui and exe should be in one folder)

Yes that was how I tried - had both files in a folder and ran the exe. The program ran and gave me a 3-tab display but none with any description. It is as if running a program with no fonts. Does the program need other components (e.g. selected fonts) installed first?

Again thanks for the help!

sergiorus

Sep 7, 2008
Tallinn
So, you didnt see text like on screenshot ?

200905112026520000111g.jpg

Hm..strange. I only copyed this two files, nothing more. Maybe your rom is not english?

Only can suggest to manually change GPRS Authentication Method
[HKLM\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction]
"GPRSAuthenticationMethod"=dword:00000001 PAP
"GPRSAuthenticationMethod"=dword:00000002 CHAP

Last edited:

chan200606

Feb 2, 2008
Brisbane
So, you didnt see text like on screenshot ?

200905112026520000111g.jpg

Hm..strange. I only copyed this two files, nothing more. Maybe your rom is not english?

Only can suggest to manually change GPRS Authentication Method
[HKLM\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction]
"GPRSAuthenticationMethod"=dword:00000001 PAP
"GPRSAuthenticationMethod"=dword:00000002 CHAP

No, I could see only the buttons and tabs, but not the text (neither text on page nor the tab names). You are right my rom is CHT (traditional chinese) and not English, but I have my regional setting at English (Australian) and it displays English alright.

I will try the registry settings to see if they work.

Thanks,
Alfred

sergiorus

Sep 7, 2008
Tallinn
Also you can translate .MUI file to your language. Just find small program ResHacker, open with it .MUI, translate all english words (about 15 words) and save it as AdvancedNetwork.exe.0804.MUI

chan200606

Feb 2, 2008
Brisbane
Finally got around to test the methods suggested, and can report as follows:

(a) manually adding [HKLM\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction] to the registry - doesn't work.

(b) changing the 0409.mui with Reshack to use chinese language (1028) - still cannot see text when firing up AdvancedNetwork.exe, whether mui is named 0804.mui or 0404.mui.

(c) found a seeting in [HKLM\MUI] which is defaulting to 1028 (chinese). Change it to 1033, soft reset the machine, and AdvancedNetwork.exe (unmodified) now shows all text - hurray! Used AdvancedNetwork to set authentication to CHAP then back to PAP, then fire up IE - still would NOT connect, with same packet error message!

Looks like the program AdvancedNetworks.exe does not work on the 612c, and have to continue looking for a solution... :mad:

chan200606

Feb 2, 2008
Brisbane
Maybe solution is not here. Why you think that problem is in GPRSAuthenticationMethod?

I am only guessing, based on two things:
(a) I can connect using my wife's HP6515, which has an utility to set the authentication method and actually defaults to PAP. I haven't worked out which file is the program and what registry entries it changes though.

(b) I have read in Whirlpool forums that VirginBroadband requires PAP and PAP only, and that using CHAP would give similar error messages (packet error) as I am getting.

(c) There were 614c users in the HP forum last year who had similar problems logging into their company networks, again same error, and they nailed the problem down to PAP. As that discussion occurred a long time ago, none of the participants appear to read the thread again and I cannot find out from them how they ended up fixing it.

(d) HP instant support admitted that the 612c would use CHAP but HP were not going to help to provide a tool to set it to PAP.

Not sure what else I could do!

sergiorus

Sep 7, 2008
Tallinn
No ideas... I can suggest to extract utility from HP6515, it should be in Windows directory. I dont think this utility is device dependent, so you can try this variant.