[Q] Returning to stock after unlock and root without backup.

Search This thread

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
I think I'll give it a shot tomorrow after work. This way if anything goes wrong I'll have most of the day to get it straighted out. The reason I'm concerned is. Because of all the issue comments on the YouTube video. Time will tell...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
I think I'll give it a shot tomorrow after work. This way if anything goes wrong I'll have most of the day to get it straighted out. The reason I'm concerned is. Because of all the issue comments on the YouTube video. Time will tell...

Rooting is not necessarily fool proof.

But I wouldn't be too worried, no matter what happens, once you get a custom recovery on the device it doesn't really matter what "doesn't work" after that, because you just find the custom ROM that suits your needs.

The issues are usually with the SU program not playing nice with the ROM, or the actual "rooted ROM" having some issue. But they get ironed out.

Remember, this phone is very new, so there are bound to be bugs...

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013

Its really easy. No video needed. Make sure fastboot and adb are working first. Follow instructions on HTC site to unlock boot loader. This will wipe phone in case you didn't know. Reboot phone after unlock. A lot of people don't reboot and go straight to flashing. this can cause issues. Reboot working system. Then just flash recovery, load recovery, make backup, install supersu. No toolkits needed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangekid

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Its really easy. No video needed. Make sure fastboot and adb are working first. Follow instructions on HTC site to unlock boot loader. This will wipe phone in case you didn't know. Reboot phone after unlock. A lot of people don't reboot and go straight to flashing. this can cause issues. Reboot working system. Then just flash recovery, load recovery, make backup, install supersu. No toolkits needed. Let me know if you have any questions.

That's the thing. Im not sure what fast boot is or adb...these are terms that I'm yet to learn. Im coming from galaxy phones where the root programs were more or less one clicks and I used cwm for my flashing. I've been out of the game for over a yr due to the gs4 being locked down and I decided to stay away from the whole safe strap flashing.

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
That's the thing. Im not sure what fast boot is or adb...these are terms that I'm yet to learn. Im coming from galaxy phones where the root programs were more or less one clicks and I used cwm for my flashing. I've been out of the game for over a yr due to the gs4 being locked down and I decided to stay away from the whole safe strap flashing.

Well ADB and fastboot are things you should learn honestly if you're going to tinker with your device.

And they are very simple.

ADB is just a way to communicate with your device via your command prompt on your computer, while it is in recovery or turned on Android.

Fastboot is similar but is while the device is in the boot loader, and can do things like flash ROMs and recoveries etc..

They are very simple to learn, and once you know them, you can handle virtually any android device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013

Search for android sdk on Google. That will have everything you need.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Glad it worked out for you...

I don't know what to say, I'm finally back on stock. back to where I want to be with working wifi and all the original apps I had. Orange, You have reminded me of one of the reasons I chose an android phone and to become part of this community. You have literally saved my ass, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Anywhere I can send a donation your way? :highfive:

nash2000

Jun 18, 2011
Message me for any specific questions.

Thanks...appreciate that. I was just reading a guide on fast boot...I have a better understand but still a ways to go. Wish I would have had a nexus or HTC phone before now...I would have known about this stuff already. I'll pm you tom when I root...might need some hand holding, lol.

maximprime21

Apr 16, 2014
Would you mind pointing me to these tweaks? maybe some vids showing them off so I can know a good starting point?

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Would you mind pointing me to these tweaks? maybe some vids showing them off so I can know a good starting point?

I would flash a Rom that has a bunch of tweaks such as viperone. Remember if your AT&T you have to flash the fix after flashing the rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Non-rooted nand backup,which can be used to go back to stock

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51953376&postcount=352