[Q] Can't Enable Unknown Sources

Search This thread

frunabulax

Jan 13, 2011
Hello: I have an AT&T I337 that until 2 days ago had stock ROM on it. I didn't like the fact that AT&T blocked my ability to 1) tether, and 2) sideload so after about 1 1/2 years I finally decided to root and flash a ROM that would allow me to do these things. I downgraded from NB1 to MK2, rooted with saferoot, installed safestrap, and installed Deadly Venom's v3.0.2 NC1 KitKat ROM. Since there are some outstanding instructions in the AT&T GS4 forum I was able to do all this relatively easily (and I'm pretty much a NOOB) and I'm really happy with the ROM so far. The Wi-Fi Hotspot capabilities seem to work well; the only problem is that I still can't sideload. The "Unknown sources" option under "Security" in settings is greyed out and unchecked (so are "Wait for debugger" and "Verify apps via USB," under "Developer options," but I don't think I need those items for anything). Does anyone else have this problem? Or more importantly, does anyone know how to enable "Unknown sources" so I can install apps from the Amazon Appstore, etc.? I thought for sure that rooting would be the solution, if not the custom ROM. I even tried using the AndroidCentral Sideload Wonder Machine v1.2 that someone mentioned would install apk's regardless of the phone's security settings -- it didn't. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
It should be some "device administrator" app that is causing this.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE using Tapatalk

frunabulax

Jan 13, 2011
You're right!

I just figured out that it was indeed my employer requiring device administrator privilege in order for me to sync my work email on my phone. I removed the email admin account and all my security restrictions cleared (along with my email account, unfortunately). Thanks for your advice, Case closed!

Yen Han Jian

Dec 28, 2019
Can't enable unknown sources

It's not for me it didin't work for my phone....anymore solution that you can give me?I searched alot of websites and i hope this one works,
Thanks