charger + cable for the oneplus 1

Search This thread

rocketman122

Jul 2, 2014
Just wanted to know what are specs for the charger/cable. I can get tons of aftermarket chargers for my ip4 at a buck or two at the most from asian sellers from asia. am I right that I simply need a 2a charger, with a mini usb cable at the end? just looking into getting extra for when they decide to release it to the public.

Last edited:

truckroot

Jan 16, 2011
Westlake
Here ya go

Attachments

• 1404315996754.jpg
    1404315996754.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 10,644

tpboi

Oct 9, 2012
Palo Alto
oneplus cable are specially made, I tried using third party cable, it will double your charge time from 2hours to roughly 4.5hours.

Reactions: carepack
U tried oneplus charger and 3rd party cable? or u tried 3rd party charger too? maybe charger wasnt 2A capable.

Anyone tried to trace pinout yet? IIRC, I read somewhere 2 of the pins in the cable were shorted, signaling to the OP that it was to take quick charge. I'll try to find that. The same article / post discussed temp sensor limiting amount of charge since the OP would get hot. Not as quick as true fast charge, but faster than standard.

edit: found it: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/vooc-charging-seems-to-be-working.12639/ by one of XDA's well known devs, @graffixnyc - Thanks Patrick!

Last edited:

effluent

Jun 17, 2010
West Tejas
I have a question. If you use the OPO charger, but plug a usb extender into it(and the OPO cable goes into a usb female at the end of the extender cable), does does having that non-OPO cable in the chain slow things down? Mine does seem to charge slow, but I've honestly never connected the OPO cable directly from the charger to the phone to compare. I honestly don't understand how anyone could use it like that (or any other cable coming with a phone). Not even long enough to stretch from an outlet to a table top if the outlet is right next to the table. My Dell Venue 8 Pro cable is amazing(ly ridiculous). It's maybe a foot long. I guess they expect us to charge our devices on the floor? With the DV8P case the cable would barely even reach the floor!

cmo23

Nov 7, 2008
i can confirm that using the OPO wall charger with a 3rd party usb cable does result in a slower charge time. I tried 2 different cables-- both were of different gauges and lengths-- both resulted in different charge times and were all at least 2-3x slower then the OPO cable. anybody with knowledge as to what kind of cable OPO is using and where we can buy longer versions?

beastlykings

Jan 7, 2009
Pinconning, MI
i can confirm that using the OPO wall charger with a 3rd party usb cable does result in a slower charge time. I tried 2 different cables-- both were of different gauges and lengths-- both resulted in different charge times and were all at least 2-3x slower then the OPO cable. anybody with knowledge as to what kind of cable OPO is using and where we can buy longer versions?

I can also confirm slower charging using the stock charger with aftermarket cable. But most of my cables are cheaper, is it possible that the gauge of the wire inside the cable is higher on opo cable? Allowing more amps through?

Also, @effluent , if using an aftermarket cable slows things down, I'm assuming putting an extension in the middle will have very similar negative impacts.

Sent via quantum entanglement, focused through my OnePlus One.

yungtexas

Jul 1, 2010
You want a charger cable that won't fail.... Stop buying them online. I've bought them everywhere online and they just can't compete with the usb/charger cable from tmobile.... Maybe be the same for other service providers. Plus you get 30 days to refund or exchange.... So you know after a month if it's worth it which it is.... Those teeth won't sit down and ruin the quality of the charge like 90 percent of the cables online.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

quickquest88

Jun 21, 2008
I can also confirm slower charging using the stock charger with aftermarket cable. But most of my cables are cheaper, is it possible that the gauge of the wire inside the cable is higher on opo cable? Allowing more amps through?

Also, @effluent , if using an aftermarket cable slows things down, I'm assuming putting an extension in the middle will have very similar negative impacts.

Sent via quantum entanglement, focused through my OnePlus One.

You just have to find the right cable. I went through this same thing with my galaxy s5. I got the application "galaxy charging current" and compared the milliamps of all my cables. Some would only do 4-500 ma. Some would do 1800ma. It just depends on the cable. I'm using the cable I got with a ps4 right now, and it will do 1800, and it's 4 feet long.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

Jurren

Nov 21, 2008
OnePlus One
Google Pixel
Try a fast-charge cable, it has the correct pinout (shorted pins) for fast charging.
www<DOT>amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088HTYUE

And you can't overcharge, it's the phone that demands the current, not the charger that pushes the current through the phone. The phone's charging circuit protects the phone for overcharging and handshakes the right charging current with the connected charger. Charging Android is quiet a complex thing...

Also very very useful: PortaPow USB Power Monitor:
www<DOT>amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DF2485S

(ps can't post links yet, grr..)

Top Liked Posts