[Q] 'Messaging' App

Search This thread

Ohiostyle

Apr 1, 2011
Cleveland
I'm looking to sideload the sms app that i've had with two previous android phones. After getting my new N5 yesterday, it seems the stock 'messaging' app has been replaced in favor of hangouts. New to hangouts, but after about a day, i can say f-that. I know other sms apps are out there, but i really just want the one I've had for years. I promise I've used the search feature, please don't fault me if this info is out there.

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
I'm looking to sideload the sms app that i've had with two previous android phones. After getting my new N5 yesterday, it seems the stock 'messaging' app has been replaced in favor of hangouts. New to hangouts, but after about a day, i can say f-that. I know other sms apps are out there, but i really just want the one I've had for years. I promise I've used the search feature, please don't fault me if this info is out there.

Hi, you need to install the app you want, go to Settings/wireless & Network/More/Default SMS app
kit-kat-sms-app.jpg

There you new app may show up, so, you can set it as default.
Btw, your post was not too clear but is that what you mean?

Last edited:

Ohiostyle

Apr 1, 2011
Cleveland
Hi, you need to install the app you want, go to Settings/wireless & Network/More/Default SMS app
kit-kat-sms-app.jpg

The problem is that the messaging app wasn't installed. My N5 was bought from the play store jsut this week. Maybe it is installed on the t-mobile or sprint variants? Has anyone pulled that apk and posted it anywhere? My wife just got an unlocked moto x and it has it.

gamer.11

Dec 11, 2012
Ernakulam

The app you may be looking for is 8sms! Its on play store you dont have to sideload! :)

Reactions: Ohiostyle

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Reactions: Ohiostyle

Ohiostyle

Apr 1, 2011
Cleveland
Thanks, I see it's not totally the stock messaging app, but I will give it a try. It mentions a lack of bloat, but new useful features. Anyone know what additional features are that they've added?

Top Liked Posts