[Q] Need driver help for my KF - ADB is not detecting the device when in TWRP Mode

Search This thread

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco
My KF is having some problems. I followed the tutorial from Cyanogen for the installation, and I got to the point where I finished flashing the recovery (twrp (don't know which version, it's from this site). I have a bootable device that will go into recovery, but when booting into standard Kindle OS, the device is unable to boot, and gets stuck on the KF logo. I am unable to use ADB to push the rom onto the device for flashing, and I cannot copy it manually because I cannot boot. My fastboot drivers are working, but when I go into Device Manager on Win7, my kindle shows up with the triangle + exclamation point. I can't update this driver as nothing works, and I've literally tried every possible solution on the internet.

thanks in advance

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Have you tried the drivers in my signature? You right click the device and hit update drivers and point it to where my drivers where extracted to use them.

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco
I have tried your drivers - I tried that before coming here. When I extracted the driver files and pointed the install to the directory, it didn't give any install. It said drivers were not found and that's where I got stuck. Does the mounting of the internal storage not work in TWRP?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
No it does not, you have to adb push them or adb side load them. If you tell me the vid and pid listed in the devices hardware id's on the details tab of its properties in the device manager maybe I can update my drivers to help you.

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco
okay let me see:

do you want the pid and hid in TWRP mode or fastboot mode

in the hardware IDs these are listed:
USB\VID_1949&PID_0008&REV_0216&MI_00
USB\VID_1949&PID_0008&MI_00

Those are the two when booted into TWRP. If you need anything else like fastboot hid then I'll provide those as well.

Last edited:

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I have tried your drivers - I tried that before coming here. When I extracted the driver files and pointed the install to the directory, it didn't give any install. It said drivers were not found and that's where I got stuck. Does the mounting of the internal storage not work in TWRP?

You may be having a driver install problem. Windows 8/7 64bit must disable security enforcement. This is for Windows 7.

Disable device driver signature enforcement -

Both must be done from the administrator profile to work right
Both of these are for Windows 7 X64 users.
Windows 7 X32 and earlier version users do not have this issue

A.
1. Reboot and on start up press F8 a couple times.
2. Scroll down to "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement."
Note: This must be done on every bootup you want to install something not MS signed.

B. For a more permanent solution.

1. First go and uninstall the driver (delete driver) you want to replace and then restart your computer.*
2. Now go to the start menu and type cmd.
3. Right click on "cmd" and open a command prompt with elevated privileges (run as administrator.)
4. Now copy these in the command prompt one at a time hitting enter after each one.
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
4. Now install the driver you want.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Profit.
Note: If you do this right, you will see "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601" (or something comparable) in the lower right corner of your screen. This means that drivers not signed by MS can be installed without getting the Windows has installed the best driver already bit.

If you opt to take your computer out of test mode, the drivers will more than likely be replaced by MS drivers the next time you restart your computer. Follow steps 1,2 and 3 in part B of tutorial, copy these commands in the command prompt one at a time hitting enter after each one.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF
Now restart your computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco
You may be having a driver install problem. Windows 8/7 64bit must disable security enforcement. This is for Windows 7.

Disable device driver signature enforcement -

Both must be done from the administrator profile to work right
Both of these are for Windows 7 X64 users.
Windows 7 X32 and earlier version users do not have this issue

A.
1. Reboot and on start up press F8 a couple times.
2. Scroll down to "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement."
Note: This must be done on every bootup you want to install something not MS signed.

B. For a more permanent solution.

1. First go and uninstall the driver (delete driver) you want to replace and then restart your computer.*
2. Now go to the start menu and type cmd.
3. Right click on "cmd" and open a command prompt with elevated privileges (run as administrator.)
4. Now copy these in the command prompt one at a time hitting enter after each one.
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
4. Now install the driver you want.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Profit.
Note: If you do this right, you will see "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601" (or something comparable) in the lower right corner of your screen. This means that drivers not signed by MS can be installed without getting the Windows has installed the best driver already bit.

If you opt to take your computer out of test mode, the drivers will more than likely be replaced by MS drivers the next time you restart your computer. Follow steps 1,2 and 3 in part B of tutorial, copy these commands in the command prompt one at a time hitting enter after each one.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF
Now restart your computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the reply but

I don't have drivers installed at all :p The kindle fire in the device manager shows with a little yellow triangle and exclamation and it says no compatible driver found. Fastboot still works though. Can anyone link me to the stock kfOS for me to reflash back to stock kindle fire?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Thanks for the reply but

I don't have drivers installed at all :p The kindle fire in the device manager shows with a little yellow triangle and exclamation and it says no compatible driver found. Fastboot still works though. Can anyone link me to the stock kfOS for me to reflash back to stock kindle fire?

Fastboot is not gonna work if you don't have your usb drivers set up and your tablet recognized. Your tablet has to be recognized and that yellow triangle says it's not.

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco
Fastboot is not gonna work if you don't have your usb drivers set up and your tablet recognized. Your tablet has to be recognized and that yellow triangle says it's not.

nonononono it's quite weird
In fastboot mode, the device is easily recognized by the computer. i can flash and have no problems whatsoever. When I try to use TWRP to copy the image to the device, that's where I get the issue.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
nonononono it's quite weird
In fastboot mode, the device is easily recognized by the computer. i can flash and have no problems whatsoever. When I try to use TWRP to copy the image to the device, that's where I get the issue.

If you want, copy and paste your environment path here. Let's check and make sure it looks good.

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco
If you want, copy and paste your environment path here. Let's check and make sure it looks good.

And what do you mean by that? What is the environment path?

I know it can be flashed in fastboot as the computer recognizes it and fastboot detects it as a device. It's just that in twrp the computer is unable to find any drivers for it.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
And what do you mean by that? What is the environment path?

I know it can be flashed in fastboot as the computer recognizes it and fastboot detects it as a device. It's just that in twrp the computer is unable to find any drivers for it.

In order for your tablet to be recognized in fastboot, you would have had to set the path. I think your bs'n me.

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco
In order for your tablet to be recognized in fastboot, you would have had to set the path. I think your bs'n me.

m8 I have no idea what you are talking about.

I started the cyanogen mod tutorial that they have on the wiki, and I got to flashing the custom bootloader and the twrp recovery mode. After that, the device wasn't recognized during TWRP mounting so I wasn't able to mount and copy over the CM image for installation. That's why I am stuck now. Could you please link me to or attach the kindleOS stock rom so I can flash it and go back to stock kindleOS. Right now I have an expensive brick and it's seriously bugging me.

shadowblade2652

May 16, 2012
San Francisco

Do you mean the windows path? If you do, I used the installer I found on this website along with the kindle fastboot drivers found from amazon and it was already added to the path.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
It might actually be a driver problem, switching between twrp, fastboot, and a android os have caused issues for me before where I NAD to uninstall the driver and reinstall it, and sometimes it would have a USB composite USB device I'd have to remove to fix it(had a bird of 1949 so I new it was the kindle).