Fully functional ICS Photon or galaxy nexus?

Search This thread

rruss

Aug 3, 2011
Which would u choose? I'm figthin the urge to go buy the galaxy nexus Sunday I love the photon and thinking it may be better to wait on a fully functional stable joker rom cuz I miss hbo go...I don't really believe Motorola is actually gonna update this phone to ICS in the future and I'm not worried about LTE just yet I'll jump on that train when it actually rolls out in my area

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Jeff_in_LA

Dec 7, 2008
Which would u choose? I'm figthin the urge to go buy the galaxy nexus Sunday I love the photon and thinking it may be better to wait on a fully functional stable joker rom cuz I miss hbo go...I don't really believe Motorola is actually gonna update this phone to ICS in the future and I'm not worried about LTE just yet I'll jump on that train when it actually rolls out in my area

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Absolutely positively zero question, the Galaxy nexus all the way.

My friend has one, I've spent extensive time using it. Simply the best phone I've ever used, it was phone of the year last year.

Also, being a Nexus phone - you will get the first updates for new OS'es . My sisters Nexus S got ICS already. Effen Motorola said what... November?

Jokers work is awesome, and I thank him profusely. I hope Motorola hires him!

For me, this phone is a red headed stepchild. Moto only cars about Verizon customers. I'm never buying a moto phone again.

Last edited:

five40

Jan 18, 2008
NYC
Absolutely positively zero question, the Galaxy nexus all the way.

My friend has one, I've spent extensive time using it. Simply the best phone I've every used, it was phone of the year last year.

Also, being a Nexus phone - you will get the first updates for new OS'es . My sisters Nexus S got ICS already. Effen Motorola said what... November?

For me, this phone is a red headed stepchild. Moto only cars about Verizon customers. I'm never buying a moto phone again.
The Nexus is already obsolete. I'd wait and see what the Galaxy SIII has to offer when Samsung makes the announcement on May 3. I'm not impressed by Sprint's verison of the HTC One X. HTC lost me after releasing that piece of crap Evo 3D (always losing signal and roaming). And according to the FCC test results, the radio in the EVO 4G LTE seems to be crappy as well.

MadFlava

Jul 5, 2008
The Nexus is already obsolete. I'd wait and see what the Galaxy SIII has to offer when Samsung makes the announcement on May 3. I'm not impressed by Sprint's verison of the HTC One X. HTC lost me after releasing that piece of crap Evo 3D (always losing signal and roaming). And according to the FCC test results, the radio in the EVO 4G LTE seems to be crappy as well.

Have you not been paying attention to all the Epic 4G Touch issues? For months the phone would just randomly drop service without letting you know and you had to reboot to restore it. The radio in it is garbage on top of that. The Photon radio is a serious step up. Every single phone Samsung has released for Sprint has had major issues.

I really dont like my Photon and it will be the last Motorola phone I buy. My wife has a DroidX2 Global on Verizon and its a piece of crap too. She's probably going to go to an iPhone (Its her work phone and they have discontinued Android devides so its either iPhone or BB) and Im going to get a HTC One when it comes up for sale on Sprint. Maybe Ill give her my Photon for her Sprint line. She has an OG Epic she uses on Sprint but she probably hasnt made 10 calls on it in a year.

Jeff_in_LA

Dec 7, 2008

I'd hardly call it obsolete. Yes S3 series is going to get announced. HTC and Moto lost me, and a pure google with with no crappy skin is awesome.

Also, the Nexus community have dialed the roms in for that phone like race cars. The Roms and kernels are awesome.

Interesting about phones.. 5 months is considered obsolete. My intel i7-920 overclocked to 3.8Ghz is still an awesome computer. They chip was launched in 08.

My 2 cents!

five40

Jan 18, 2008
NYC
Have you not been paying attention to all the Epic 4G Touch issues? For months the phone would just randomly drop service without letting you know and you had to reboot to restore it. The radio in it is garbage on top of that. The Photon radio is a serious step up. Every single phone Samsung has released for Sprint has had major issues.

I really dont like my Photon and it will be the last Motorola phone I buy. My wife has a DroidX2 Global on Verizon and its a piece of crap too. She's probably going to go to an iPhone (Its her work phone and they have discontinued Android devides so its either iPhone or BB) and Im going to get a HTC One when it comes up for sale on Sprint. Maybe Ill give her my Photon for her Sprint line. She has an OG Epic she uses on Sprint but she probably hasnt made 10 calls on it in a year.
The Photon is the best piece of hardware Sprint has to offer right now.
The Galaxy Nexus is just a tweaked Galaxy SII. I was a big HTC fan until the EVO 3D and I know Samsung phones aren't known for stellar radio performance, neither does HTC.
I'm waiting on the Galaxy SIII, but back to the OP's question.

I would go with a Galaxy Nexus because the display is absolutely gorgeous.
I owned one for a few weeks. Took it back because I'm on the edge of 2 Verizon LTE towers and would lose signal quite often. I know it's not isolated to the Nexus because a friend of mine owns the Verizon equivalent of the Photon (can't remember the name right now) and has the same LTE issues problem.

lroy

Aug 19, 2010
Houston Tx
i been kickin around the same idea, and this EVO LTE is looking even better with a 1.5 GHz processor!?!?!

BUT.... i look back on the pros and cons

If i switch to the Nexus or EVO LTE
Pros(even tho they end up sounding like cons
-Faster Processor (even tho we have 1.3 OC i still clock down to 1.0, so not too powerful of persuasion.
-LTE - BUT... sprint is adding this technology and it will be WIP.
Screen - no doubt its a better screen, BUT it will probably chew more power
-1080p camera (but the devs are working on this for the photon)
-Official ICS (BUT id end up wiping out and flashing CM9 so im back to where i am now)
-Lighter - this is one pro that i cant argue, the EVO LTE is a feather!
-Front camera - 1.3 v vga (not a biggy for me)

Cons
-Only CDMA, less radios, less cell signal probably
-$$$ it will take a few bills outta my pocket
-phone is bigger and will be bigger in the jeans pocket
-more attractive to be stolen at the gym

when i rethink everything through, i honesty am more tempted to go buy a second photon for backup. The photon is not at a huge hardware disadvantage. software wise... just think how fast joker has done what he has done with using code out of the air. Im sittin my fat ass down with the photon for a long time.

Once or IF sprint ever comes back out with a worldwide android phone that can beat the Photon in the ring, THEN ill switch over. but for now, the photon has too great of devs, and amazing radios that i cant ignore. a phone is for communications, and without great radios, well... your SOL.

my 2 cents

rruss

Aug 3, 2011
alot of great points being brought up i swore to myself i would never buy another samsung phone because i had a terrible experience with the epic touch signal wise i just didn't get the same signal i got with my photon in the exact same spots no arguing that. i would love to get the evo lte too BUT intergrated battery is too iphone-ish for me and i feel like it will be a HUGE disadvantage to rooters and another way for sprint to **** with me and take more money out my pocket if my phone gets screwed up if motorola werent on verizons jock i would wait for them to come out with a lte phone...by the way do you guys think that googles purchase of motorola will eventually lead to a Motorola manufactured Nexus? how awsome would that be

Sent from my Thrive using xda premium

ericdabbs

Jun 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Easy choice. The Galaxy Nexus. As much as I love the Photon, people need to look beyond the software UI when choosing a phone. Galaxy Nexus has LTE capability, Photon has Wimax capability. Wimax is on its way out while LTE is on its way in. The LTE footprint by Sprint will be nationwide whereas the Wimax footprint is standing put.

Get the Galaxy Nexus because even joker's rom is stock ICS which is what the galaxy nexus is anyways except you will get LTE capability at some point in the future depending on which market you live in.

MadFlava

Jul 5, 2008
alot of great points being brought up i swore to myself i would never buy another samsung phone because i had a terrible experience with the epic touch signal wise i just didn't get the same signal i got with my photon in the exact same spots no arguing that. i would love to get the evo lte too BUT intergrated battery is too iphone-ish for me and i feel like it will be a HUGE disadvantage to rooters and another way for sprint to **** with me and take more money out my pocket if my phone gets screwed up if motorola werent on verizons jock i would wait for them to come out with a lte phone...by the way do you guys think that googles purchase of motorola will eventually lead to a Motorola manufactured Nexus? how awsome would that be

Im with you there. I might be willing to try the Note but at this point, who knows if its coming or not.

Reactions: Tracyl1975

halfdriven

Mar 26, 2007

why would they hire him?

And if you look at the amount of sold units between Vz and Sprint you would see why Moto caters to Vz. Sprint is no longer considered an Class A service provider by any OM.

EggSpawn

Apr 20, 2012
Tacoma
photon all the way. with miui its a fantastic phone. and wouldnt trade if for anything. and yes. more is to come with this phone. it can only get better

sub2k1

Oct 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
ICS is pretty cool but it should not be the primary driver in making this decision. The Photon is already running CM9 and it will get official ICS support later this year. You need to compare specs between these two phones and match them to your lifestyle. Me, I live in a suburban area where the signal strength is only OK. I used to get a decent signal outside and in different spots within my house but now that I have a Photon that has all changed. I get signal almost everywhere. I don't have 4G in my area so I'm able to run CM9 as my daily driver with zero complaints. In my opinion the Photon is superior but if I lived in the middle of Manhattan I'd probably be rocking a Galaxy Nexus because the city's coverage is much better and Manhattan will get LTE.

Last edited:
Reactions: bricky23

slick69

Jun 21, 2007
The Galaxy Nexus and Photon are really apples and oranges. One is a Wimax phone while the other is an LTE phone. There are some areas with both types of 4G, but for the most part if you're not in the buildout you'd be stuck with 3G data. One is $150 on craigslist and the other is $200 on contract.

Its better to compare the Galaxy Nexus to the HTC EVO 4G LTE. In that respect, the only advantage to the Galaxy Nexus is being a Google-supported device. That really doesn't mean much to me, since Google has shown that they only care about one generation past, and ICS only just came to the Nexus S 4G last week, even the HTC Sensation and the international Galaxy S2 got ICS before that.

Even if you have a fully functional Photon with ICS though, which doesn't exist, the Galaxy Nexus is still better. And you better be prepared to pay $400+ more for the privilege.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Im with you there. I might be willing to try the Note but at this point, who knows if its coming or not.
    ICS is pretty cool but it should not be the primary driver in making this decision. The Photon is already running CM9 and it will get official ICS support later this year. You need to compare specs between these two phones and match them to your lifestyle. Me, I live in a suburban area where the signal strength is only OK. I used to get a decent signal outside and in different spots within my house but now that I have a Photon that has all changed. I get signal almost everywhere. I don't have 4G in my area so I'm able to run CM9 as my daily driver with zero complaints. In my opinion the Photon is superior but if I lived in the middle of Manhattan I'd probably be rocking a Galaxy Nexus because the city's coverage is much better and Manhattan will get LTE.