Samsung Galaxy S4 Demo Unit

Search This thread

Madsmaten

May 16, 2014
Hey there you guys!
(Optional reading)
I am all new in this forum, and I have a few questions about a Demo unit I have gotten my hands on.
Before anyone, asks me how I can have a Demo unit, and if it's stolen, then allow me to explain. Even though you only have my word for it, I hope it is enough.
I work at a electronic store, here in Denmark. (Elgiganten)
Anyway, we had a Samsung Galaxy S4 Demo Unit, in the store.
I was told by my boss to throw in the trash,I asked if I could take it home, which he allowed me.

(Actual post)
Anyway!
What this post is about, Is that I have a few questions about it.
I have been googling and checked out this forum, about the Demo units.
The can't ever be "real" phones ever. They simple miss the modem and antenna hardware.
I don't think that I quite understand, whether it is possible to flash the phone with original/modified firmware.
As far as I have understood, a lot of demo units have been F***ed up, and ended up with no Wifi options and stuff.
I was wondering, if there is a known way to flash it?
And what's I am suppose to do exactly? :)
I was wondering if I bought a replacement motherboard and threw in it, would work?
Like one I can buy on Ebay?

I'm sorry for the long post, and the loads of question.
I hope that you guys can help get it up and running properly, whether it is without the calling compatibilitys or not :D
So thank you very much!

- Madsmaten

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
I guess you could say so :D

I'd be hard pressed to believe that Samsung went to a lot of trouble to write an entirely different rom for it. So I'd guess that it's got the same rom as the normal 9505

But I can see where trying to flash a rom it it could go badly. So using odin to root it might be risky. It also might work flawlessly with ease. There is only one way to find out...and sometimes in life you've got to roll the dice.

I would also think you could easily toss a different motherboard in it. You could probably add the radio antenna too. I'd also be hard pressed to believe that Samsung made an entirely different plastic housing just for the demo. So it's probably got all the space and screw holes and all tha tstuff to hold the radio antennea.

So you can either use it as a wifi table as it sits now, with touchwiz, or take a chance and see if you can root it. You didn't pay anything for it so there's not too much risk. That said, how much custominzation do you need for what's probably going to end up being a tablet for the bathroom? It'll probably play games fine, browse the web fine, etc. Do you really need to flash a custom rom to it for those purposes?

I might just leave it alone and enjoy the free wifi device. Makes a great MP3 player / Pandora streamer / etc too.

Madsmaten

May 16, 2014
I'd be hard pressed to believe that Samsung went to a lot of trouble to write an entirely different rom for it. So I'd guess that it's got the same rom as the normal 9505

But I can see where trying to flash a rom it it could go badly. So using odin to root it might be risky. It also might work flawlessly with ease. There is only one way to find out...and sometimes in life you've got to roll the dice.

I would also think you could easily toss a different motherboard in it. You could probably add the radio antenna too. I'd also be hard pressed to believe that Samsung made an entirely different plastic housing just for the demo. So it's probably got all the space and screw holes and all tha tstuff to hold the radio antennea.

So you can either use it as a wifi table as it sits now, with touchwiz, or take a chance and see if you can root it. You didn't pay anything for it so there's not too much risk. That said, how much custominzation do you need for what's probably going to end up being a tablet for the bathroom? It'll probably play games fine, browse the web fine, etc. Do you really need to flash a custom rom to it for those purposes?

I might just leave it alone and enjoy the free wifi device. Makes a great MP3 player / Pandora streamer / etc too.

Thanks for the answer!
I would be delighted with it, using it as a tablet in my home.
The thing, is the Galaxy resets everything every 15 minutes, or reboot.
Which is obvously damn annoying.
And that is why, I am asking these questions :D

- Madsmaten

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Thanks for the answer!
I would be delighted with it, using it as a tablet in my home.
The thing, is the Galaxy resets everything every 15 minutes, or reboot.
Which is obvously damn annoying.
And that is why, I am asking these questions :D

- Madsmaten

Well that's stupid. Maybe it is a different rom afterall....

If its not usable now then you really have nothing to lose by flashing a rom in odin.

Sent from your phone. You should be more careful where you leave that thing.