Another bricked a500...

Search This thread

wsmithjr

Jul 23, 2008
Apologies for yet another thread. I've been through every "unbrick" thread and still not able to boot the tab. I'm starting to think it's time to recycle the thing.

So, I picked up my tab one day and it had powered off (bone stock on the latest OTA). Tried to boot up and never got past the Acer splash screen (multiple attempts). Tried to reflash via the sd card, and it failed. Now it only boots to the dead Android. Try to flash another rom (these are stock releases) and it hangs for over a day without completing. Now it won't get past apx mos, black screen with a power light. Tried to flash via nvflash using several automated methods, they all fail complaining of various errors that seem to be related to bad partitions. I run badblocks and get errors. Now, having gone through everything short, I go to euu. That also hangs on copying the image. I'm out of ideas. is there something I haven't tried, or am I likely dealing with s dead tab at this point?

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
Pretty much the same thing happened to me last night I stayed up all morning trying to fix it but I'm beginning to realize it's probably something in the hardware.. Odd there so many all about the same kind of time.. Mine was rooted and the only thing I can boot to is the first skrillax boot loader screen, or Acer screen..depending on what I did..guess its Tims for a new tab..any suggestions? Lol

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

wsmithjr

Jul 23, 2008
Pretty much the same thing happened to me last night I stayed up all morning trying to fix it but I'm beginning to realize it's probably something in the hardware.. Odd there so many all about the same kind of time.. Mine was rooted and the only thing I can boot to is the first skrillax boot loader screen, or Acer screen..depending on what I did..guess its Tims for a new tab..any suggestions? Lol

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

I guess we can take the guts out and make them into picture frames?

droidxxxxx

Oct 2, 2012
Pensacola
Moto G Stylus 5G
I did the fix my Acer thing from the Acer website found out mine is out of warranty for sure but they got back to me with an email and a phone number and I called and talked to a girl who told me it would be 200 and $49 just to get it in the door for a repair. Needless to say I *****ed and moaned told her I was going to throw it in the garbage and she is now sending me a label for FedEx to ship it and they will look at it hopefully they will fix it possibly for free now lol so I'm going to be sending it off when I get the label. I've tried just about everything and it seems mine just isn't recognized very well by the PC. I wonder if I have the correct drivers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Apologies for yet another thread. I've been through every "unbrick" thread and still not able to boot the tab. I'm starting to think it's time to recycle the thing.

So, I picked up my tab one day and it had powered off (bone stock on the latest OTA). Tried to boot up and never got past the Acer splash screen (multiple attempts). Tried to reflash via the sd card, and it failed. Now it only boots to the dead Android. Try to flash another rom (these are stock releases) and it hangs for over a day without completing. Now it won't get past apx mos, black screen with a power light. Tried to flash via nvflash using several automated methods, they all fail complaining of various errors that seem to be related to bad partitions. I run badblocks and get errors. Now, having gone through everything short, I go to euu. That also hangs on copying the image. I'm out of ideas. is there something I haven't tried, or am I likely dealing with s dead tab at this point?

This is what I'd do, and this goes for anyone stuck on the acer logo or otherwise soft-bricked.

Run babsector.rar file.
This is the ONLY file that will give you an error that can be troubleshooted. NONE of the auto tools or the manual nvflash method will do this.

Once babsector has run, post the output and we can tell if its the dreaded hardware fault or not.

Download and instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2049778

A great guide by kaijikun here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2450119

If you get stuck with the black screen with the power led light ON.
Hold the power button for 5 secs until it goes off.
Re-enter apx mode manually (i.e. this means using the buttons, don't use the auto tools, it won't work)

It also goes without saying, you need the acer drivers http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3851 and the drivers from the android sdk, you can download a mini zip here https://www.dropbox.com/s/x98233x397wrzr1/Step_1_Drivers_mini_sdk_adb.zip

If you don't have your CPUID, there's no way of unbricking.
If you don't know what a CPUID is AND can still boot, read this guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25429111#post25429111.

If you cannot boot and don't have your CPUID you need to recover it using Linux, see srbeens guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1751978

Just to say, the whole unbricking process takes some time....mostly downloading everything you need. You will also need a fully charged tab, you can sometimes use 40-50% of your battery doing this. To be safe connect your charger and leave it there till you are done.

The other thing is your PC OS...there has been mixed success with win8 and 64bit. FOr best results win7, vista and xp work best. If you are linux savvy, you're in luck, no driver issues at all with this OS!!!

The only way you can not restore your tab to fully working order is if your tab has the faulty memory chip. And the only way to know if this is the case is to run the babsector.rar file.

dibb

Reactions: markbnj and gw1oii

Douvie

Oct 3, 2013
Kyneton

Yeah same thing happened to my A500. But downloaded 4 files Because there was 4 to choose from.

I renamed the file, eg filename.zip, to "update" with no extension. Copied to a clean micro SD. Inserted the SD card. Held the volume down and power switch until tablet vibrated and toggled the screen lock switch on then off. Then sat and watched. The whole process can take 30 minutes and for a long time it seemed stuck at about 25%. I decided to wait and see. And it all came good.

My A500 was stock no root. Still is and seems to work better now.
:good:

wsmithjr

Jul 23, 2008
Here's the output from a501 a.bat, as requested.

Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:
* *chip name: t20
* *chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3
* *chip sku: 0x8
* *chip uid: 0x037c61c742a14597
* *macrovision: disabled
* *hdcp: enabled
* *sbk burned: true
* *dk burned: true
* *boot device: emmc
* *operating mode: 4
* *device config strap: 0
* *device config fuse: 0
* *sdram config strap: 0

sending file: flash.bct
- 4080/4080 bytes sent
flash.bct sent successfully
odm data: 0xb00d8011
downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader.bin
| 714409/714409 bytes sent
bootloader.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader downloaded successfully
setting device: 2 3
creating partition: BCT
creating partition: PT
creating partition: APP
creating partition: EBT
creating partition: GP1
creating partition: SOS
creating partition: LNX
creating partition: CAC
creating partition: MSC
creating partition: FLX
creating partition: AKB
creating partition: UDA
creating partition: GPT
failed executing command 12 NvError 0x120002
command failure: create failed (bad data)
bootloader status: fatal failure to read / write to mass storage (code: 9) messa
ge: nverror:0x8 (0x19000008) flags: 0

Press any key to continue . . .

Thanks in advance. ..

This is what I'd do, and this goes for anyone stuck on the acer logo or otherwise soft-bricked.

Run babsector.rar file.
This is the ONLY file that will give you an error that can be troubleshooted. NONE of the auto tools or the manual nvflash method will do this.

Once babsector has run, post the output and we can tell if its the dreaded hardware fault or not.

Re-enter apx mode manually (i.e. this means using the buttons, don't use the auto tools, it won't work)

It also goes without saying, you need the acer drivers http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3851 and the drivers from the android sdk, you can download a mini zip here https://www.dropbox.com/s/x98233x397wrzr1/Step_1_Drivers_mini_sdk_adb.zip

If you don't know what a CPUID is AND can still boot, read this guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25429111#post25429111.

If you cannot boot and don't have your CPUID you need to recover it using Linux, see srbeens guide here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1751978

Just to say, the whole unbricking process takes some time....mostly downloading everything you need. You will also need a fully charged tab, you can sometimes use 40-50% of your battery doing this. To be safe connect your charger and leave it there till you are done.

The other thing is your PC OS...there has been mixed success with win8 and 64bit. FOr best results win7, vista and xp work best. If you are linux savvy, you're in luck, no driver issues at all with this OS!!!

The only way you can not restore your tab to fully working order is if your tab has the faulty memory chip. And the only way to know if this is the case is to run the babsector.rar file.

dibb

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City

Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:

- 4080/4080 bytes sent
bootloader status: fatal failure to read / write to mass storage (code: 9) messa

Thanks in advance. ..

Its a hardware fault, bad memory chip

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: wsmithjr

Socrates11

Sep 14, 2011
Same thing happened to mine

Exact same thing happened to mine. No recourse since mine was out of warranty but I complained about it on an Acer Forum and on their facebook page and within a couple of hours I was contacted and instructed to mail it in. I had to pay for the shipping charges there (like 12 bucks) but they shipped it back on their dime and it was fixed. From shipping to them to getting it back was about 2 weeks. I was ready to swear off Acer forever but they manned up and fixed something that was obviously a widely known defect since it's happening to many others.

Reactions: Douvie

SyavsoN

Nov 11, 2013
Dear dibb_nz,

What if A500 A.bat is working flawlessly for me, but A500 B.bat is failing during BCT formatting stage:

Code:
Formatting partition 2 BCT please wait.. FAILED!
bootloader status: partition table is required for this command (code: 0) message: nverror:0x2 (0x2) flags:0

Should you need any additional info, just ask me

Thank you in advance for reply!

mhiester

Nov 13, 2013
Hardware failure?

a501A failed. Here is the script.. Is my a500 suffering from the same bad memory chip problem?

Nvflash started
rcm version 0x20001
System Information:
- chip name: t20
- chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3
- chip sku: 0x8
- chip uid: 0x037c6185435f2617
- macrovision: disabled
- hdcp: enabled
- sbk burned: true
- dk burned: true
- boot device: emmc
- operating mode: 4
- device config strap: 0
- device config fuse: 0
- sdram config strap: 0

- 4080/4080 bytes sent
: 714409/714409 bytes sent
failed executing command 16 NvError 0x120002
bootloader status: failed to create the partition (code: 10) message: nverror:0x42008 (0x2042008) flags:0

Thanks in Advance.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Dear dibb_nz,

What if A500 A.bat is working flawlessly for me, but A500 B.bat is failing during BCT formatting stage:

Code:
bootloader status: partition table is required for this command (code: 0) message: nverror:0x2 (0x2) flags:0

a501A failed. Here is the script.. Is my a500 suffering from the same bad memory chip problem?

Nvflash started
rcm version 0x20001
System Information:

- 4080/4080 bytes sent
bootloader status: failed to create the partition (code: 10) message: nverror:0x42008 (0x2042008) flags:0

Thanks in Advance.
Sorry u both having probs an I not sure I can help but.....
@SyavsoN so do u get an error with the first bat file? If not,
run the first one again
Enter recovery and do the wipes
Reboot recovery and flash yr rom
What happens???
@mheister and everyone else with bct error.
Apxflash tool is the only tool that can fix these errors.
Normally u can use the default bct when u get to that option. But if u have probs with the default then u must use the bct from yr tab. So choose the dump yr bct option.
Thats about all I can suggest for u guys atm,
If @blackthund3r is still lurking around here :)he may be able to help out with this!!
dibb

Reactions: SyavsoN

HyeProfile

Dec 11, 2007
Montreal
www.hyeprofile.com
Exact same thing happened to mine. No recourse since mine was out of warranty but I complained about it on an Acer Forum and on their facebook page and within a couple of hours I was contacted and instructed to mail it in. I had to pay for the shipping charges there (like 12 bucks) but they shipped it back on their dime and it was fixed. From shipping to them to getting it back was about 2 weeks. I was ready to swear off Acer forever but they manned up and fixed something that was obviously a widely known defect since it's happening to many others.

I just got the same issue. a501 A.bat gives me the same error: "bootloader status: fatal failure to read / write to mass storage (code: 9) message: nverror:0x8 (0x19000008) flags: 0"

Code:
- 4080/4080 bytes sent

I just posted on the Acer Americas Facebook page, let's see what they say...

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
I just got the same issue. a501 A.bat gives me the same error: "bootloader status: fatal failure to read / write to mass storage (code: 9) message: nverror:0x8 (0x19000008) flags: 0"

Code:
- 4080/4080 bytes sent

I just posted on the Acer Americas Facebook page, let's see what they say...

Try Acer dude, 3 users have had there's repaired by acer for free, even if they were no longer under warranty!!! It's worth a shot:)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

hanielserrato

Jan 20, 2011
Waco
Anyone know how to get in contact with Acer. I've looked around in their support website, but I can't chat with a support assistant because my tablet is out of warranty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

darkeskye

Jan 19, 2014
Check my fix out!

Nvflash started
rcm version 0X20001
System Information:

- 4080/4080 bytes sent

Thanks in advance. ..

I had the same error check out my tut (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49585687)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Run babsector.rar file.

dibb

Nvflash started
    rcm version 0X20001
    System Information:

- 4080/4080 bytes sent

Thanks in advance. ..

Its a hardware fault, bad memory chip

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Same thing happened to mine

Dear dibb_nz,

Code:

Nvflash started
    rcm version 0x20001
    System Information:

- 4080/4080 bytes sent

Thanks in Advance.
    Sorry u both having probs an I not sure I can help but.....
    @SyavsoN so do u get an error with the first bat file? If not,
    run the first one again
    Enter recovery and do the wipes
    Reboot recovery and flash yr rom
    What happens???
    @mheister and everyone else with bct error.
    Apxflash tool is the only tool that can fix these errors.
    Normally u can use the default bct when u get to that option. But if u have probs with the default then u must use the bct from yr tab. So choose the dump yr bct option.
    Thats about all I can suggest for u guys atm,
    If @blackthund3r is still lurking around here :)he may be able to help out with this!!
    dibb