NO 3G (Edge Only) on Roger's Network in Canada (Model: M01M002 T-Mobile Model?)

Search This thread

EZ44

Aug 7, 2010
Mississauga
Hello,

I have tried a few of Roger's APN's including internet.com and rogers-core-appl1.apn but have yet to see a 3G connection on my phone. So far it's been on constant 'Edge' or on a rare occasion 'GPRS'. I have taken it out with me while running errands around town but it has never connected at 3G speeds. I never had a problem with any of my iPhones getting 3G speeds. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. So far I have tried 'Network Mode' on 'GSM only' and 'GSM/ WCDMA Auto' but it made no difference. Listed below are the 2 APN's I have used on the Roger's network.

Name: Rogers Core
APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: not set
Password: not set
Server: not set
MMSC: mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS proxy: 10.128.1.69
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
APN Type: Default

Name: Rogers
APN: internet.com
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: not set
Password: not set
Server: not set
MMSC: not set
MMS proxy: not set
MMS port: not set
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
APN Type: Default

Thank you for any help or suggestions that you may have.

This is supposed to be a US Streak (what I was told when I bought it) but I'm not exactly sure how to verify that. On the back under the battery cover it has the following:

Model: M01M
Type: M01M002

If anyone can verify/confirm what model this is I'd appreciate it.

I just found this on wirelesgoodness site. If true, it would appear that I have a T-Mobile compatible version of the Dell Streak which is exactly NOT what I need.

"We first spotted the Dell Mini 5, aka Streak 5, on the FCC back in February when the device appeared as the M01M002. Today, a new version of the device called the M01M002 passed through the FCC.

Both versions of the Mini 5 are quad-band GSM devices. However, the new version of the Mini 5 supports WCDMA band IV, while the previous version supported bands I, II, V and VIII. This is good news for T-Mobile customers, since the carrier relies on WCDMA band IV in the United States for 3G data services."

If anyone can help me figure out exactly what model this is US or UK, AT&T or other I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to waste anymore time if it isn't an A&T/Rogers Wireless compatible phone.

Thanks.
:confused:

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
what are the umts bands listed on your box? umts 1900 and 850 are for att, rogers, and telstra. 1700 is for tmobile. and 2100 and 900 are europe and asia.

EZ44

Aug 7, 2010
Mississauga
what are the umts bands listed on your box? umts 1900 and 850 are for att, rogers, and telstra. 1700 is for tmobile. and 2100 and 900 are europe and asia.

The box I have is not for my Red unit it's for a Carbon one so who knows if it's the same. It does list all the right bands 850/900/1800/1900 & 2100/1900/850 but like I said, not the original box so don't know for sure.

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
i cant seem to find model numbers. there is no tmobile version. only 02, unlocked, and the att beta. do you have an o2 bootsplash when you start up your device? is the back cover matte or shiney?

EZ44

Aug 7, 2010
Mississauga
i cant seem to find model numbers. there is no tmobile version. only 02, unlocked, and the att beta. do you have an o2 bootsplash when you start up your device? is the back cover matte or shiney?

The back cover the rest of the shell is glossy red and there is no O2 splash screen, only the Dell logo/splash on boot up.

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out.

EZ44

Aug 7, 2010
Mississauga
More evidence that the model I have is indeed destined for T-Mobile and compatible networks. Looks like I will have to try and trade/sell it for an AT&T.

From Engadget:

"Whether it's branded the Mini 5, the Streak, the Streak 5, or something else entirely, we can say with certainty that Dell's going to be hitting the Android market hard in 2010 -- but we didn't realize it'd be hitting this hard. It looks like the company might be taking a tack similar to Google's with the Nexus One, because a second variant of product code M01M just garnered FCC approval -- this time featuring WCDMA Band IV in place of Bands II and V, which means it'll work on T-Mobile's airwaves instead of AT&T's. In lieu of a carrier deal, could Dell be looking to blow this out on as many carriers as it possibly can? We hope so -- as long as our wallets can stomach the unsubsidized hit."

Attachments

• dell-mini-5-fcc-label-aws.jpg
    dell-mini-5-fcc-label-aws.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 31

Plazmic Flame

Mar 23, 2010
Toronto
More evidence that the model I have is indeed destined for T-Mobile and compatible networks. Looks like I will have to try and trade/sell it for an AT&T.

So are you saying someone sold you the T-Mobile beta device under the impression that it was the AT&T compatible device?? Or did you buy it off eBay or something? I remember seeing a few eBay Dell Streaks and some of the listings were shady, saying that the device has both AT&T 3G and T-Mobile 3G, which is FALSE.

EZ44

Aug 7, 2010
Mississauga
So are you saying someone sold you the T-Mobile beta device under the impression that it was the AT&T compatible device?? Or did you buy it off eBay or something? I remember seeing a few eBay Dell Streaks and some of the listings were shady, saying that the device has both AT&T 3G and T-Mobile 3G, which is FALSE.

Bought it locally off of a Kijiji ad and popped in my Rogers sim from my iPhone to test it. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the Edge/3G issue until I got home.

EZ44

Aug 7, 2010
Mississauga
It is/was a 1700/2100 UMTS/AWS phone!!!

Just to tie things off here... the phone was indeed a 1700/1900 UMTS/AWS T-Mobile compatible phone. I sold it to a local person who has a Wind Mobile account in Canada which also runs on 1700/2100. We tested out the unit with his SIM card and everything worked perfectly including 3G data connection. Based on the FCC filing and this physical phone it would appear that a T-Mobile Dell Streak is likely to be released at some point.