Samsung optical drive

Search This thread

simonr43

Apr 5, 2010
Has anyone else seen the press release about Samsungs new android compatible optical drive. It looks like it could be the thing that allows me to ditch the laptop once and for all but one thing concerns me. The press release says:
" Through its AV connectivity mode, the drive is also ideal for Tablet PC users that want to view or hear content from a disc."
It looks to me like it won't be a fully functioning r/w DVD drive. Calling it AV mode implies it will only allow you to view media files, and not actually use it looked a proper drive.
Any views?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
Sounds extremely old-fashioned and unnecessary. I havnt used optical drives for... I think its 5 years now.
Flashdrives is far superior in every. single. way.

simonr43

Apr 5, 2010
But you can't rip a CD or DVD with a flash drive. When I buy music I still want a physical medium because I don't like being beholden to music sites. Also, living in a rural area my broadband is too slow for streaming video, so DVD is still format of choice for buying films.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
I always download a copy of whatever I buy. If, for some very strange reason, I need to rip something, I got 3 laptops that can do that just fine :d

I cant stand the sound of a DVD reader, the constant disc-swapping, the bulkiness of the dvd discs, the risk of getting scratches on it rendering the dvd unusable (not that I have ever scratched a single dvd/cd though, but I know a lot of people who have lol).

Ok so some people (like you) still uses cd/dvd discs but... I really cant see why you would want that on a tablet? It kinda defeats half the purpose of a tablet - mobility.
Ever tried to move a cd/dvd reader while its working (not talking portable ones here)? It will most certainly lose focus on what it was reading. And even portables will lose focus if you give them a slight tap, or move them too fast...

A flashdrive, on the other hand, can be thrown into a wall while working, without losing focus :) (If we ignore the chance of it coming lose and just focus on the impact force).

Aaaanyyyyywayyyyy... This wasnt ment to be a rant-post, even though it turned out like that... Sorry, I'll leave this thread now and leave it to people who are interested in old-fashioned media :d

simonr43

Apr 5, 2010
I refer back to the fact that rural broadband is useless for downloading copies of anything, I wouldn't use it on the move (I would want it just to rip copies of things).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

farsight73

Dec 29, 2010
Selangor
I can't remember when was the last time I actually use the DVD-drive.. I have PC running windows 7 with the latest super multi DVD drive...but... I haven't really use it these days.. Everything these days uses USB memory stick, I use it in my car, use it for my TV, use it for my PC and use it for my TF101..

BUT.... still it's a great news if our TF101 can run this external DVD-drive somehow.. it added the feature and functionality to this already awesome TF101.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

VeeDubb65

May 21, 2011
I agree about not using optical disks as much anymore. There are only two things left that I use my DVD drive for. Ripping my movies when I buy a new disk so I can keep them all on my NAS, and burning photo DVDs for my clients (wedding photography).

Unfortunately, neither of those things will be changing until something better than current media formats comes around. Movies still come on disk (unless you want to by choked by excessive DRM) and optical discs are still more stable for long term storage than flash drives. Given that, I can understand why some folks might still want an optical drive option. I could hook the drive up to my tablet and demo the images direct from the DVD I'm about to give a client.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Pffffft...

1080.PNG

ppgirl

Mar 30, 2014
I have develop an android APP "CD Ripper" to rip CD to WAV or MP3 , you can try it on GOOGLE PLAY :

What's the CD Ripper
CD Ripper is the first FREE CD ripping APP of the Android.
It can rip CD tracks to lossless or compressed music files.

Why to use CD Ripper
- We have many CD discs with favorite musics
- Before , We can play them with Discman or Microsystem
- Now , We want to play those musics in mobiles
- Use the CD Ripper to rip CD tracks to WAV or MP3 files

How to use CD Ripper
- Connect the USB CD reader (Optical Drive) and power with OTG cable
- Connect the mobile to OTG cable
- Click "Load CD" to load CD
- Show CD tracks (TOC) after finish loading
- Click "Rip WAV" to rip those tracks to WAV files
- Or Click "Rip MP3" to rip those tracks to MP3 files
- Click "Save As" to save your WAV/MP3 folder with the special name

Reactions: Alex9090

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have develop an android APP "CD Ripper" to rip CD to WAV or MP3 , you can try it on GOOGLE PLAY :

What's the CD Ripper
    CD Ripper is the first FREE CD ripping APP of the Android.
    It can rip CD tracks to lossless or compressed music files.

Why to use CD Ripper
    - We have many CD discs with favorite musics
    - Before , We can play them with Discman or Microsystem
    - Now , We want to play those musics in mobiles
    - Use the CD Ripper to rip CD tracks to WAV or MP3 files

How to use CD Ripper
    - Connect the USB CD reader (Optical Drive) and power with OTG cable
    - Connect the mobile to OTG cable
    - Click "Load CD" to load CD
    - Show CD tracks (TOC) after finish loading
    - Click "Rip WAV" to rip those tracks to WAV files
    - Or Click "Rip MP3" to rip those tracks to MP3 files