[Q] Have I managed to HARD-BRICK my phone?

Search This thread

one30six

Jun 26, 2014
Switched from one provider to another, got a new phone which uses micro-sim, and couldnt get the p880 to read the new sim card, so I have been using the new phone, which is greatly inferior to the p880..

With the p880 just sitting around unused, i decided i might as well try to mod it, then get a regular sim card for it and start using it again. I think i killed it instead.

Before it died on me, I formatted / wiped / factory reset and then used the LG Mobile Support tool to upgrade to whatever the newest official release was.. 4.1.2??

At this point, here is what it can do:

1) When attempting to just turn it on and USE it as normal, it turns on, gets to the animated LG logo and stays there forever.
2) Power + Vol Down = OEM LG recovery menu
3) Power + Vol Up = Some kind of Restore graphic
4) Power + Vol Up and Down (AVX) = nothing
5) Plugged into USB with battery removed and holding Vol Down = home row LEDs light up, nothing else

Windows sees the phone as a "removable disk H:" when I plug it in, but the LG recovery software does not see it, and it also does not show up in the device manager..

At this point, all that I can seem to access is the "apply update from ADB" option to do an "adb sideload" command in recovery mode.. When I send over the root tool, the phone is happy. If I attempt to send anything else over via sideload, I always get kicked out of the process when it gets to the "verifying installation package" portion. I can wipe / factory reset to my heart's content, but I can get absolutely no further than this after attempting for about six hours yesterday.

Any hope for me or do i have a dope looking paperweight? Will providing you guys either the IMEI or S/N shed any light into a path to recovery?

Thanks for your time!

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012
You have a booting rom, the device is not even close to hard brick. Is your bootloader unlocked? If yes you can flash a custom recovery with fastboot and install any rom you want.

Sent from my OmniROM-powered LG Optimus 4X HD

one30six

Jun 26, 2014
@one30six
Use this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069723 or
Use this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179126 to recover your phone.
Read the instructions with care and act as stated.
Good Luck.

thank you, speady.. it turned out to be the first solution that you suggested, which i had seen before during my scouring of these forums.. but the real basis of my problem was that i had my phone plugged into the front-facing USB port of my computer rather than the one directly connected to the motherboard (on the back).. i guess the phone wasnt getting enough juice out of the front port to boot to S/W Update mode.. i am back to stock LG software and am eventually going to mod to another ROM

THANK YOU!

Top Liked Posts