Recommend MicroUSB Cable

Search This thread

inco9nito99

Jun 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
I've tested it. Using the same provided brick with the Note 3 - 5.3v 2.0A, the supplied USB 3.0 charges exactly the same as the USB 2.0 cord supplied with the S4 when plugged into the wall (1200mAh).

The only time USB "CHARGES" faster is shown below, tested:

-USB 3.0 + USB 3.0 port on computer = 1A.
-USB 3.0 + USB 2.0 port on computer = 0.5A.

-USB 2.0 + USB 3.0 port on computer = 0.5A.
-USB 2.0 + USB 2.0 port on computer = 0.5A.

Again, the only CLEAR advantage to the USB 3.0 cable is when transferring files off a USB 3.0 equipped computer; it does it much quicker.

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
The longer/thinner the cable, the lower the charge rate (Ohm's Law), so if you want a full charge rate with a longer thinner cable, it's not going to happen in a universe in which Ohm's Law applies. Either lengthening or thinning the cable increases the voltage drop across the length of the cable, so the current goes down. You can't push both ends of a see-saw down at the same time (without breaking something - the laws of physics, in this case).

A 26 gauge wire 3 feet long (that's 6 feet of wire, since it takes 2 to charge) drops 0.43 Volts at 1,800mA, so your 5.2 Volt brick is supplying 4.77 Volts at the phone - not enough for an 1,800mA charge. You can either increase the length and decrease the charge rate, use a thinner cable and decrease the charge rate or both increase the length and use a thinner cable and decrease the charge rate. But you can't increase the length, decrease the wire size, or both at the same time, and maintain the same charge rate (unless the brick is supplying far more voltage than is needed to give you the full charge rate - which would be a waste of money for the manufacturer and cause more heat in the phone during charge).

Reactions: MajorD.

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
Okay. The best charger I've ever had, and still use it to this day, is my blackberry playbook charger. It charges everything fast. Also, the cable is 6 ft long, and thick, and the plug is heavy duty. It's rated at 5v, 1.8 amps, but it charges faster than my note 2, and note 3 chargers. The only downside, is that the cable is molded to the power plug (which has fold down prongs) so you can't use it as a usb cable. I've seen some on amazon for 3 bucks. My playbook is long dead, but the charger kicks some serious butt.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: MajorD.

jazzmachine

Jan 9, 2013
Chicago
You don't need a 3.0 cable to do a fast charge. Multiple people on this forum recommend this cable - I purchased two myself and can confirm that they charge at 1800mAh. Keep in mind that the Note 3 charges faster with the screen off than on (1200mAh vs 1800mAh).

I just ordered two of these for under $10 with shipping, and strongly agree with the recommendation (thanks to Fuzzy for the link). In addition to my N3, I also have a Note 8 which is super picky about which cables it'll even detect, a consequence of damaging the port by testing too many of my broken-ass Samsung cables (I've accumulated quite a supply of definite OEM cables). I had been charging it with the single sammy cable that it'll take, but monitoring the voltage, it's always way low... takes forever to charge (assuming it doesn't lose connection w/ the cable despite it still looking to be plugged). For the first time since I started using that Galaxy voltage monitoring app, it's charged at the correct voltage with no "low voltage detected" notification, which was previously a constant. Not about to test exactly how much pressure the micro usb connector can take before breaking, but it certainly seems to be much stronger than the sammy cables. Lastly, the plastic cover on the micro usb end is very small, significantly more so than the Samsung cables. I keep the tablet in a TPU case, and some cables I've tried wouldn't fit through the standard sized opening for the port. No problem whatsoever with these. Not sure of the AGW, I'd guess 24 or 26, but still, easily the best quality cable I've used.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts